YMt3CM #1: A Contest

61 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMt3CMbanner_zpseb9a2816.png)

Welcome to You Make the Three Card Magic, a weekly design contest I plan on running until I get sick of it.

To those of you unfamiliar with 3CM, it is a format that is exactly how it sounds: you use exactly and only three cards! I've attempted contests before that forced competitors to design for specific formats, but 3CM is ideal in its limited scope and exactness with which criteria can be given. If you know how 3CM works, you can skip ahead to the contest rules. Otherwise...

How 3CM works
1. Each deck consists of exactly three cards. Any cards not banned in Vintage or by the 3CM banned list are allowed. Cards on the Vintage restricted list are allowed to be used in multiples.
2. Two deck types are disallowed:
- Decks that can force an opponent to remove two or more cards from his or her hand in a single turn.
- Decks that end the game before the opponent has had a full turn.
3. Each player starts the game with all 3 cards in their hand. Matches are played in two games with each deck getting a chance to play first. Perfect information is used to determine the outcome; that is, each player knows exactly what the other player's deck consists of and what choices can be made.
4. Players do not lose for drawing a card from an empty library. Draws are not skipped, though; if a card somehow gets into a library, it may be drawn or interacted with by ordinary Magic standards.
5. If a random choice is required, the opponent of that effect's owner chooses its outcome.
6. Cards outside the game don't exist. (i.e. Living Wish gets nothing.)
7. Players are awarded 3 points be game win, 1 per game tie, and 0 per game loss. The max score per match-up, therefore, is 6.

Contest Rules

1. Anyone may participate at any time. If I feel the need to limit submissions, I will say so.
2. Criteria is based on the 3CM format. You don't have to know the format intimately to partipate and do well, but there's a chance it could help. Here is a link to the thread Purple_Shrimp ran and one to the thread I'm currently running. Each contains spreadsheets with past rounds of the competition, including the decks themselves.
3. During each contest, I will give you an incomplete 3CM deck. Your goal is to design a card that works in that deck. 
4. Two scales will be used for grading. The first is the design scale.
- 4a. The design scale has a maximum score of 70 points: 30 points for Idea; 20 points for Flavor; and 20 points for Developemt.
- 4b. "Idea" measures the general creation of the card: the innovation, the fun, and so on.
- 4c. "Flavor" measures the theme of your card: the name, the concept, the extra parts tying it together.
- 4d. "Development" measures the balance of the card as though it were printed in a modern Magic set. Yes, the 3CM is better with the existence of  Black Lotus, but this is still a design contest that measures your understanding of the design process. So, keep that in mind; it will be at conflict with the other grading scale.
5. The second grading scale is the competition scale.
- 5a. The competition scale has a maximum score of 30 points. It involves using your design in a round of 3CM.
- 5b. Your deck will compete against 5 unnamed 3CM decks of my choosing as though playing an actual round of 3CM. Each participant in the contest plays against the same 5 decks.
6. The winner is the contestant with the highest combined score between both grades. 

Contest #1: Where to start?
The first thing razorborne ever taught me about 3CM is to look at the mana in the format. This is more crucial for alternate formats where the limitations are in constant flux, but it's initially true for all new 3CM contestants. So, let's start with the first deck everyone should know:

Black Lotus, Black Lotus, [YOUR CARD]

The only restriction this time around is that your card work well within this deck.

Submissions will be accepted until Friday, 2/22/13, 11:59 pm. Have fun!
If I may request specification?

Each deck consists of Three cards, and you start with all three cards in your hand.
Does that mean you have nothing to draw, unless something gets shuffled into your library somehow?

Also, does that mean you have to deal 20 points of damage (or some other sort of alternate win condition) over X turns using only three cards?

I feel this is too close to Barren Glory... something else to come:

Cemetariot -- :BM::BM:
Creature - Zombie Cleric (R)

At the beginning of your upkeep, if Cemetariot and the rest of the cards from your library are in your graveyard, you win the game.

3 / 3

Furious Farmer -- :RM:
Creature - Human Farmer (C)

At the beginning of each upkeep, if no player cast spells last turn, transform Furious Farmer.
:RM::RM:, :T:: Furious Farmer deals 1 damage to each creature.

"Blasted beasts ate the corn again! I'm gonna light the fields! Old Branill'll get 'em!"
3 / 2

===xxx===

Blessed Nightwatch --
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
[:RWM:]
First strike, Vigilance
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Blessed Nightwatch.

The town thought Branill was an over-eager simpleton. In reality, he was a guardian of the night.
3 / 2
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
If I may request specification?

Each deck consists of Three cards, and you start with all three cards in your hand.

Yes.

Does that mean you have nothing to draw, unless something gets shuffled into your library somehow?

Correct, though hose cards can get put into your deck by other means.

Also, does that mean you have to deal 20 points of damage (or some other sort of alternate win condition) over X turns using only three cards?

Yup. A simple 1/1 creature can win if you plan things right. In fact, free 1/1 creatures are often enough used as win-conditions in this format.
Do we post them here? Or do we send you a mock-up for our card?
Ewww....LotusLotusLard? Psshaw.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Do we post them here? Or do we send you a mock-up for our card?

Just post your card here. No need for a render or anything, just post in the thread. If you'e looking for a format that I like:

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Creature - Horror
Trample
"Spoo-kay!"
6/6

But use whatever format you're comfortable with.

Ewww....LotusLotusLard? Psshaw.

Don't make me get the hose.
Ah, well, I suppose it's time to put my nose to the grindstone and finally learn the various symbols and such of the Magic forums.
Anyway, my submission for this round will be:
My take on a classic bomb

Mirror Shard Seraph
Artifact Creature - Angel
Flying  
During each of your upkeep, if only artifacts are in your graveyard, put a copy of ~cardname onto the battlefield.
"A shining beacon to Mirrodin of the absolute perfection it could have, if only it should it give in..." 
3/3

Welcome to You Make the Three Card Magic, a weekly design contest I plan on running until I get sick of it.

To those of you unfamiliar with 3CM, it is a format that is exactly how it sounds: you use exactly and only three cards! I've attempted contests before that forced competitors to design for specific formats, but 3CM is ideal in its limited scope and exactness with which criteria can be given. If you know how 3CM works, you can skip ahead to the contest rules. Otherwise...

How 3CM works
1. Each deck consists of exactly three cards. Any cards not banned in Vintage or by the 3CM banned list are allowed. Cards on the Vintage restricted list are allowed to be used in multiples.
2. Two deck types are disallowed:
- Decks that can force an opponent to discard two or more cards from his or her hand in a single turn.
- Decks that end the game before the opponent has had a full turn.
3. Each player starts the game with all 3 cards in their hand. Matches are played in two games with each deck getting a chance to play first. Perfect information is used to determine the outcome; that is, each player knows exactly what the other player's deck consists of and what choices can be made.
4. Players do not lose for drawing a card from an empty library. Draws are not skipped, though; if a card somehow gets into a library, it may be drawn or interacted with by ordinary Magic standards.
5. If a random choice is required, the opponent of that effect's owner chooses its outcome.
6. Cards outside the game don't exist. (i.e. Living Wish gets nothing.)
7. Players are awarded 3 points be game win, 1 per game tie, and 0 per game loss. The max score per match-up, therefore, is 6.

Contest Rules

1. Anyone may participate at any time. If I feel the need to limit submissions, I will say so.
2. Criteria is based on the 3CM format. You don't have to know the format intimately to partipate and do well, but there's a chance it could help. Here is a link to the thread Purple_Shrimp ran and one to the thread I'm currently running. Each contains spreadsheets with past rounds of the competition, including the decks themselves.
3. During each contest, I will give you an incomplete 3CM deck. Your goal is to design a card that works in that deck. 
4. Two scales will be used for grading. The first is the design scale.
- 4a. The design scale has a maximum score of 70 points: 30 points for Idea; 20 points for Flavor; and 20 points for Developemt.
- 4b. "Idea" measures the general creation of the card: the innovation, the fun, and so on.
- 4c. "Flavor" measures the theme of your card: the name, the concept, the extra parts tying it together.
- 4d. "Development" measures the balance of the card as though it were printed in a modern Magic set. Yes, the 3CM is better with the existence of  Black Lotus, but this is still a design contest that measures your understanding of the design process. So, keep that in mind; it will be at conflict with the other grading scale.
5. The second grading scale is the competition scale.
- 5a. The competition scale has a maximum score of 30 points. It involves using your design in a round of 3CM.
- 5b. Your deck will compete against 5 unnamed 3CM decks of my choosing as though playing an actual round of 3CM. Each participant in the contest plays against the same 5 decks.
6. The winner is the contestant with the highest combined score between both grades. 

Contest #1: Where to start?
The first thing razorborne ever taught me about 3CM is to look at the mana in the format. This is more crucial for alternate formats where the limitations are in constant flux, but it's initially true for all new 3CM contestants. So, let's start with the first deck everyone should know:

Black Lotus, Black Lotus, [YOUR CARD]

The only restriction this time around is that your card work well within this deck.

Submissions will be accepted until Friday, 2/22/13, 11:59 pm. Have fun!

Should we assume we will be facing decks that are specifically strong against such a deck? Also, how do you do spoilers?

I do sblock inside [] (with a corresponding /sblock afterwards) to get
Show
Then put whatever you want "hidden" inbetweeen the two tags
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Much obliged. I got it figured out, and my card is posted.
Question stands though Rush, assuming this deck will not be facing things like A. Blast, which completely hose it, but will it be facing match-ups with discard decks, or primarily other lotus based decks?
oooh me likey

[sblock]
Lingova, Lich Acended --
Planeswalker - Lingova (Mythic)
+1: Look at the top 2 cards of your library. Put one of them in your hand, and 1 into your graveyard.
-3: Target opponent returns a non-land permanant they control to their hand. Then that player discards a card.
-7: Return target permanant from each players graveyard to the battlefield under your control

[4]
Should we assume we will be facing decks that are specifically strong against such a deck? Also, how do you do spoilers?

The metagame at this point is determined only by what you think might show up. Assume what you want, but I will settle on all the decks before looking at submissions.

The metagame at this point is determined only by what you think might show up. Assume what you want, but I will settle on all the decks before looking at submissions.

Good to know. And thank you for the quick reply.
I submitted this card to another contest before, but I had this exact criteria in mind when I made it, so...

Lobber Commander
Creature - Goblin
When Lobber Commander enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Tap an untapped Goblin you control: Lobber Commander deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
3/3
Few goblins have the skill to aim a catapult. The ones who do become commanders.
I submitted this card to another contest before, but I had this exact criteria in mind when I made it, so...

Lobber Commander
Creature - Goblin
When Lobber Commander enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Tap an untapped Goblin you control: Lobber Commander deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
3/3
Few goblins have the skill to aim a catapult. The ones who do become commanders.

My initial thought on that card is, it could be a lot more powerful at 6 CMC... Then I realized the implications it would have outside of 3CM in goblin decks, and that thought was immediately withdrawn.
In other words I was completely mistaken. Please forgive me ever having doubted you.
salvage technician human wizard
return a target artifact of mana count 1 or less
   from your graveyard to your hand
1/3

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock

I bet it was Shrimp's contest.

I bet it was Shrimp's contest.

Yes it was. I'm sad that it never went anywhere.
Are you guys talking about the Spooky contest?

Anyway, my card:

Scrapyard Colossus
Artifact Creature - Construct
~ costs less to cast for each artifact card that went to your graveyard from the battlefield this turn.
If white mana was used to cast ~, it has Vigilance. If blue mana was used to cast ~, it has flying. If black mana was used to cast ~, it has deathtouch. If red mana was used to cast ~, it has haste. If green mana was used to cast ~, it has trample.
"I think I see part of my house in it."
7/7

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Niv-Mizzet, the Hated
Planeswalker - Niv-Mizzet
+1: Counter the next spell an opponent plays this game.
-2: Deal three damage to target creature or player.
-3: Return target permanent to it's owner's hand.
-4: Destroy target non-basic land.

LOL, interesting. I added a fourth ability to make it more like the best planeswalker in print
Don't be too smart to have fun
no peeking
Stonescale Hydra-
Creature-Hydra
Stonescale Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
As long as Stonescale Hydra's power is 5 or greater, it has trample and hexproof.
0/0

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Rust Golem |

Artifact Creature-Golem

Vigilance

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on Rust Golem.

Wither

: Put target artifact on the bottom of your library.

: Rust Golem deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

7/7
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Forgewalker
Creature - Elemental
Kicker
When ~ enters the battlefield, name a non-basic land card. Search target player's hand, library and/or graveyard for all cards with that name and exile them. That player shuffles his or her library. Then, if ~'s kicker cost was paid, exile all permanents that player controls with that name.
He leaves behind a smoldered world seething whispers of his name.
2/2

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I take it we can submit cards that would probably end up being banned?

Poxridden Dead

Creature-Zombie
When Poxridden Dead enters the battlefield, each opponent loses 1 life, discards a card, sacrifices a creature, then sacrifices a land.
Plagues thought lost rose with the waking dead. Silent, they wrought a more subtle apocalypse.
2/2 
I take it we can submit cards that would probably end up being banned?

If it's borderline, sure. Some cards on the current banned list might not need to be there. But cards like Barren Glory and Chancellor of the Annex are just... bleh.

I'll give as much leeway as i can there.
Ethersworn Grave Agent
Artifact Creature - Human Artificer

Discard ~ from your hand: this turn, artifact spells you cast cannot be countered.
You may cast ~ from your graveyard. If you do, as an additional cost, exile two artifact cards from your graveyard.

6/6
Prophet of the Waters |
Creature - Merfolk Wizard
Whenever you cast a spell, you may scry 1.
: Until end of turn, if a player would scry, scry 3 instead.
"Follow me and believe in the truths that the water shows." — Prophet of the waters
1/3

Yep.
Phyrexian Skeleton Lord |
Creature — Skeleton Lord
Phyrexian Skeleton Lord enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature card in your graveyard.
: Regenerate Phyrexian Skeleton Lord.
Dredge 3 (If you would draw a card, instead you may put exactly six cards from the top of your library into your graveyard. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, draw a card.)
Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.
0/0

woop woop bringing dredge back

This card doesn't do anything this deck for 3cm it just dies

Phyrexian Skeleton Lord |
Creature — Skeleton Lord
Phyrexian Skeleton Lord enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature card in your graveyard.
: Regenerate Phyrexian Skeleton Lord.
Dredge 3 (If you would draw a card, instead you may put exactly six cards from the top of your library into your graveyard. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, draw a card.)
Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.
0/0

woop woop bringing dredge back

This card doesn't do anything this deck for 3cm it just dies

fixed it.
fixed it.

Now it does slightly more than nothing?
Vercaror, Kaiser of Blasphemy
Legendary Creature - Demon
Flying, trample, haste, double strike
If ~ would die, you lose the game.
5/5
fixed it.

Now it does slightly more than nothing?

there now i made some op
Avian Scout
Creature-Bird
Flying
Whenever ~ dies, you may pay . If you do, put a 1/1 bird token with flying onto the battlefield
2/4
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah

Yep.

Yeah it was a shame that died. I even necroed it but Purple_Shrimp said the spooky thing about it was that it actually died.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Ba-BUMP!
Nayan Geist |
Creature - Elemental Spirit
Trample
: Nayan Geist gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
: Return target artifact card with converted mana cost 1 or less from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2

How to play
Tap and sacrifice for WWW and GGG.
Cast this with WGGG and activate the last ability with WW.
Return a lotus to your hand.
Wait a turn.
Play lotus and tap for WWW. Use WW to return the other lotus. You have W left. Play the other lotus for RRR. Play the first activated ability with RR and RW to return the other lotus.
Repeat all the process and swing for the win.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Isn't one of the most important elements in 3cm being you don't know what's in the meta?

Or are we not competing against each other but just sifting through ideas?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Isn't one of the most important elements in 3cm being you don't know what's in the meta?

We compete against a field Rush comes up with, not each other.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Subjugating Licid
Creature - Licid
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may have it becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it to target creature. You may pay to end this effect.
You control enchanted creature.
4/4

Reinventing licid XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

what does that mean?

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

what does that mean?

everyone here plays against the same 5 decks. if the format was all flavors of lotus-fatty it'd suck.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.