Any kind of Animal Tamer class?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Or some feat or specific class that tames an beast to become a companion?
Yes.
Indeed
Fact
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
There is a theme from Heroes of the Feywild called Fey Beast Tamer - just what you're looking for.
Less of a "tamer" and more of a "pull the spirit from the feywild" but Shaman are one of the coolest Leaders and their spirit companion is pretty friggin' amazing.
Anyone mentioned Fey Beast Tamer theme?

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Did you actually, you know, read the thread?

Though, no-one's mentioned the Beastmaster Ranger as yet - worth noting, to the OP, if you do pursue this route that Beast powers pretty much universally suck, and playing it as an archer with an extra meatshield is usually more useful
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
For most of it all, choose a sentinel druid hybrid ranger, hybrid talent beastmaster ranger. Take MC shaman and fey beast tamer as your theme. Congratulations, you now have 5 permanent minies on the board, as well as some cool druid summoning powers.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

And players and DMs will find the time it takes for your turn to be annoying as hell
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
For most of it all, choose a sentinel druid hybrid ranger, hybrid talent beastmaster ranger. Take MC shaman and fey beast tamer as your theme. Congratulations, you now have 5 permanent minies on the board, as well as some cool druid summoning powers.

Be sure to bring your "Big Top"
youtu.be/1D5Sa2Yq-2g
Or some feat or specific class that tames an beast to become a companion?

In preparation for an upcoming convention, I was reading through my books to see if I could find any neat things for my characters to use. In the Heroes of the Feywild, I came across a really cool theme that I think fits what you want, it's on page 105. Normally, only a Ranger or Druid can get a companion Animal that's any decent, but with this theme you get to choose between Four Different Animals, a Blink Dog, Fey Panter, Displacer Beast, or a freaking Owlbear (that one's the best, it deals the most damage and increases your parties damage!), how sweet is that? Can you imagine, your brand new character, walking into a tavern with an Owlbear, people would be all "Holy crap, this guy means business". Anyway, your beast levels as you level, so you don't have to keep finding new ones every 2 adventures unlike Mounts, it also heals whenever you 2nd wind and heals to full every Short Rest, so it doesn't waste party surges like the crappy Beastmaster Ranger's pet. And if it dies? It doesn't actually die, it just discorporates, cause it's a magical fey beast thing, you can just summon it back with 1/4 hp as a minor action by spending a surge (or during any Rest for full hp). Best thing about them, is that they all have these magical auras that benefit you and your allies, stuff like teleporting, bonus damage or defenses, or making it so enemies can't get Combat Advantage against you. When you go up in level to 5th, you get CA for free against any creature that your beast is next to, no need to flank or waste feats on wintertouched.

Anyway, you should totally look into this theme, it's called Fey Beast Tamer.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Incredibly snarky and condescending, but helpful.  Who are you and what have you done with Zathris? Tongue Out
I don't know how you guys are forgetting about the Animal Master theme. First of alls, it's the only theme that gives you a monkey, and the U2 lets you turn a standard into a standard and minor for your monkey. And that's at-will, folks! Talk about action economy!
My Owlbear would spank your Monkey.

What?

@Celerian: It's a longstanding meme to, when something is said by multiple people in the same location, to continue repeating the phrase, a rather classic theater schtick to represent gossip, or more appropriately what is fairly common knowledge that someone is pointedly oblivious to (so I guess it is a little snarky). It only recently gained acceptance and appreciation on the internet (well, as recently as you could call 2005), and because of the nature of posting, the added twist of increasing the complexity, by either storytelling (length), flowery description (eloquence), parody, puns, and/or the use of ciphers of the answer with each repetition (Usually this ends with someone putting the answer in binary or Hex, though you can go several steps beyond that, even). One of the most notable, and possibly the first mainstream internet use of this, was on the old thotbot index for World of Warcraft, where someone posted a particular comment about the item, Stoneskin Gargoyle Cape, which, as you can see, is white and looks longer than your average cloak or cape.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I'm aware, both of the meme in general and the Cape.  Was more commenting on you being snarky AND providing a relevant response to the question.  From what I've seen in these situations, it's generally one or the other (usually the snark). Tongue Out
Another possibility is to be a warlord, and to get the rest of your party to dress up as animals.
Another possibility is to be a warlord, and to get the rest of your party to dress up as animals.

*looks at primal power source* Who the hell needs to dress up?

*looks at primal power source* Who the hell needs to dress up?

Especially if the rest of your party is a bunch of [synonym for donkeys that the language filter doesn't like].

Wall of Fur defense.
Also, if you choose a small class, you can ride your companion as a mount.

Wall of Fur defense.

Well, if da_duke thinks it's a good idea ...
Oh - which of the classes are small?  I guess it must be one of the ones with a polymorph power or something?
Oh - which of the classes are small?  I guess it must be one of the ones with a polymorph power or something?

Classes are never small, except for perhaps in their range of accomplishments.

Races are small, like halflings, kobolds, etc.

Please note, riding your beast is not a good idea.   

Please note, riding your beast is not a good idea.   

That's not what she said :P 

Did you actually, you know, read the thread?

Though, no-one's mentioned the Beastmaster Ranger as yet - worth noting, to the OP, if you do pursue this route that Beast powers pretty much universally suck, and playing it as an archer with an extra meatshield is usually more useful

Did you?  Take a chilly pill, chief.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Wall of Fur defense.

Everywhere I go people have to bring politics and class warfare inti things... Sheesh.

DMG2 has rules for companian characters-
If the DM likes the story idea of you haveing a helper he can just give you one.
They take their own share of EXP but there is no real rule difference between Bob the out of work soldier that you give beer money and WhiteFang the wolf you raised from a cub.  

There is a Psion paragon path that gets a pet. Default flavoure is a brainwashed mind slave but you could say it was a trained bear or gorilla or something.

Also Fey beast tammer.   
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Is there not an internet meme wheres each succesive poster would claim victory for being the most recent poster to mention Fey beast tammet theme from heroes of the fey wild?
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Sign In to post comments