Need suggestions for my RUG midrange deck.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so I took this deck to FNM last night, went 2-1-1 with it.

Won against Mono White Weenie, and some UB Mill
Tied against Angel of Glory's Rise Reanimator due to not hitting my land drops
Lost to 4cc control using Enter the Infinite and Borborygmos deck.

Things I want to do to this deck.

1. As much as I want to like Prime Speaker Zegana I can't pull her off ever. When ever I'd play her, my guy on the stack would get killed and she'd be wasted. I want to replace her with something. I was thinking of Niv-Mizzet, or something. Any ideas?

2. As said previously, I got mana screwed a few times. I want to up a land. But I have a hard time of what to decide to remove.

3. I want to make this deck better in general really.

Creatures:
3 Wolfir Avenger
3 Huntmaster of the Fells
3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Thragtusk
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
1 Prime Speaker Zegana

Spells:
3 Searing Spear
3 Pillar of Flame
2 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Izzet Charm
3 Dissipate
3 Think Twice
1 Mystic Genesis
1 Jace, Archetict of Thought
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

Lands:
Hinterland Harbor
3 Rootbound Crag
Sulfur Falls
Stomping Ground
3 Steam Vents
3 Breeding Pool
1 Forest
2 Kessig Wolfrun
2 Cavern of Souls

Sideboard:
3 Counterflux
2 Zealous Conscripts
1 Psychic Spiral
1 Jace, Memory Adept
1 Negate
1 Tormod's Crypt
3 Memory's Journey
3 Rolling Temblor
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
Some cards to think about. ghostly flicker(great with thargtusk and huntmaster), acidic slime, augur of bolas, deadeye navigator(also great with thragtusk and huntmaster), simic charm, dungeon geists(for SB), farseek, niv-mizzet, dracogenius(over zegana), predator ooze, quirion dryad, vorapede, wolfir silverheart and zameck guildmage.

All that i can think of atm.
What would you guys think if I replaced Zegana with a Staff of Nin?
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
Could be okay with sufficient ramp.
Could be okay with sufficient ramp.

I plan on having 25 lands. Think that's sufficient?
Anyone have an idea of what I can remove in favor for a land?
I was thinking since that most of my meta is control/Midrange to do this:

-3 Pillar of Flame
+1 Searing Spear
+1 Land
+1 ???
Take out Mystic Genesis, to much cost for too little reward. How about putting land in for that?
sadly, the real question is "should you even be trying to play blue?"

i really, really want to make a RUG deck work, but i think there are too many other strong cards in other colors like jund or naya or whatever.  blue just doesn't do much outside of a dedicated control deck in standard right now or some sort of weird late game deck. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Take out Mystic Genesis, to much cost for too little reward. How about putting land in for that?

I'd want to put in another counterspell if I did that I'd feel.

@Burning Forest, I understand but it's too early for me to quit now. I hate Jund and if I want to play Naya, I'd play aggro. Which I allready have a Jund Aggro deck for that.

Not ready to give up yet.  
sadly, the real question is "should you even be trying to play blue?"

i really, really want to make a RUG deck work, but i think there are too many other strong cards in other colors like jund or naya or whatever.  blue just doesn't do much outside of a dedicated control deck in standard right now or some sort of weird late game deck. 

That's the same conclusion i keep coming to trying to make RUG work.  Blue seems to be the weak link.  Even tho i want to play Rapid Hybridization in this creature heavy meta so much, R/G can end games much faster.  
Sign In to post comments