Modern Masters on MTGO?

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
It just hit me that that they could actually do a simultaneous release on MTGO since there will be zero new cards... Just an art update...
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Modern masters should be released online. I do not see any reasons why not. It's designed for drafts so making it available online should be a no brainer.
wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptrtr12/video17

Aaron Forsythe said that it will be available online but did not give any details on when it would be released. If they were planning to release it at the same time as the paper set, I think he would have said that.
Yeah I know it is coming but they haven't told us when or how much it will cost on MTGO.... I'm saying they could do simtaneous which would be awesome.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Let's be ambitious and ask for it to be released online before its released in paper!
Depending on how they do this will pretty much determine for once and all if the whole online release delay is merely for the benefit of paper product vendors or if it really is due to development/testing schedules.

As there is no additional development/testing (all card code already exists, only reprints) and because art is effectively same files they already have for printing paper cards - all done and fixed months in advance... there should be simultaneous release.

If there isn't and online version is delayed, that's clear favoritism towards paper play and paper vendors. I guess we'll see...
If there isn't and online version is delayed, that's clear favoritism towards paper play and paper vendors. I guess we'll see...

Or it's evidence that they want release events staggered so that people don't have to choose between them.
Haha it would be amazing if they did MTGO release first

Although I have doubts about this on MTGO 6.99 is just soooo much for a booster...

Or it's evidence that they want release events staggered so that people don't have to choose between them.

I don't think they will have a prerelease for a set full of reprints so that shouldn't be a factor.

I can see case of "releases on paper on Friday, online on Monday" but anything beyond that is decisively delaying to the benefit of paper vendors.

Haha it would be amazing if they did MTGO release first Although I have doubts about this on MTGO 6.99 is just soooo much for a booster...

Depends entirely on the contents. I personally expect this to be so dense in constructed playables that it will be fine. I mean, in normal set a single booster has 1 or 2 constructed playables total if you are lucky. Modern Masters should have a lot more. Sure, there will be fillers in commons to allow limited play but I'm talking of uncommons, rares and mythics.

(If it didn't cost extra, it would cut the online price of reprinted modern playables very hard. Higher pack price ensures less limited play, ensuring that the contents still cost something in singles)

It's Masters, it originates from MTGO, doesn't it?
In paper it will have limited print run which is harder to acquire online. People draft way more often online cause MTGO's trading is easier.
But on the second hand, does online Modern need new batch of cards?  Isn't there enough cards for all at affordable prices? Do Modern need more players online?
What do you think?

BTW It won't be redeemable if released, right?
It's Masters, it originates from MTGO, doesn't it?
In paper it will have limited print run which is harder to acquire online. People draft way more often online cause MTGO's trading is easier.
But on the second hand, does online Modern need new batch of cards?  Isn't there enough cards for all at affordable prices? Do Modern need more players online?
What do you think?

BTW It won't be redeemable if released, right?

I think you are thinking of ME which is the Masters Edition.  Those are card from the early sets of magic that they do not want to release in pack form due to not being optimized for drafting.  Modern masters are for cards legal in the modern format.  Masters Edition is more for legacy and completeness of card pool online and in real life.

The cards that they are doing this for in real life are still rather expensive online as well.  Tarmogoyf being one of those cards.

It is also to give people who are recent a shot at opening some of the more expensive cards, and cards that modern uses but they don't want to reprint in newer sets.

They need to push modern online so that there is play testing and support for it that will transfer to in real life.  That way they can get away from legacy and the no reprint list cards.

People I don't think draft online due to being able to trade easier.  In some ways its harder because its pretty much just trading for tickets which is selling and buying.  They draft more because its convenient.  You can draft any time you feel like it and/or have free time.  Also don't have to worry about store distances.

I doubt they would release something online before in real life.  They need to make sure the stores are supported well enough to stay in business and have some profitability.  That is still going to be the best way to really get players into the hobby and retain them there.  Its a social game and the online play really takes the social aspect away from it.

This is a supplemental products so I doubt they have a redemption for it.
Let's see...
Modern Masters is scheduled to hit the paper stores Friday, June 7th.
Overdrive!(the first Modern PRE) #100 is scheduled for Monday, June 10th.
Hmmm...
I'm sure you can all see what's fermenting in my senile old brain...

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

IBTW It won't be redeemable if released, right?

Aaron Forsythe said it will not be redeemable.

I don't think they will have a prerelease for a set full of reprints so that shouldn't be a factor.

I can see case of "releases on paper on Friday, online on Monday" but anything beyond that is decisively delaying to the benefit of paper vendors.

There's definitely going to be some kind of release hoopla for the set.  There's a Grand Prix with Modern Masters Limited as a format, so they're definitely looking to push the set.  I think that in a way they see it like Master's Edition was for MtGO, except that paper gets in on the action too.  We always had release events for ME sets, and I don't see MoM being different (and I really hope "MOM" is the 3-letter code for Modern Masters).
IBTW It won't be redeemable if released, right?

Aaron Forsythe said it will not be redeemable.

True, he did. As a rule of thumb only regular release Magic sets are ever considered for redemption off MTGO. So in that regard think of Modern Masters along the same lines as a Duel Deck or From the Vault. As far as the online release date - sorry there's nothing to announce right now on that front.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I don't know why I think this, but I remember someone saying we wouldn't even see this online this year.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see these distributed more like the alara foil packs than a normal set release. 7tix a pack, 23tix a draft is pretty expensive. I don't know how well that would sell online.
I don't know why I think this, but I remember someone saying we wouldn't even see this online this year.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see these distributed more like the alara foil packs than a normal set release. 7tix a pack, 23tix a draft is pretty expensive. I don't know how well that would sell online.

I am going to guess that while not every pack will have a ton of value, there will be enough value for people to want to draft this and they will make enough money off of people wanting to get and this draft this that you will be able to draft it.

Look at the cube, this is going to be akin to drafting a less expensive cube but getting to keep the cards you pick and actually getting half way decent prizes.

Will have to wait until they start spoiling whats in the sets, but there is probably enough value at all rarities to make this worth while.

I dont understand that either since it was pretty clear from the announcement that both online and offfline would see Modern Masters this year. Though how was yet to be determined.

Winter.Wolf

I'd expect they'd make it available online in a timely manner so that people can continue to use MTGO to practice limited formats before big paper events (there's at least one limited Grand Prix using this set). It wouldn't surprise me if they had phantom events.
Why would they do phantom events? The goal of Modern Masters is to increase available cards for players to join Modern. Phantom events would is exactly the opposite of that.

I just wonder how many of Modern Masters drafts they want to fire online. Surely drafting a couple of weeks would severly lower cardprices on Modern staples. Look at Jace TMS for example, dropped from near 70 to something like 40-45 in just one week of ZZW drafting. I can imagine Modern singles to roughly half in price with just 2 weeks of MM drafting. 
Why would they do phantom events? The goal of Modern Masters is to increase available cards for players to join Modern. Phantom events would is exactly the opposite of that.

The goal of Modern Masters is not to increase card availability for Magic Online. Modern Masters is a paper product first.
Jace dropped due to legacy MOCS being over...
I wouldn't be surprised if Modern Masters on MTGO is just two weeks of special release events, then it disappears. Of course, to maintain how "special" the set is, they will set up a "special" prize payout, and have tix-only entry. It will be too "special" to actually allow players to chain wins into more drafting.
Jace dropped due to legacy MOCS being over...

Ah yes, that makes sense. I was trying to find a non-modern card, cause we don't have any modern PTQs atm and demand for modern cards seems to be down a bit, but Jace was a bad example I agree.

Still look at just about any mythic/rare from Zendikar or Worldwake and you'll find prices are down at least 20%. So my reasoning remains, two weeks of regular MM draft will seriously degrade Modern prices and anything longer will truly crash them.
I dunno. the $6.99 price tag on modern masters packs will likely drastically reduce the rate at which the set is drafted....

It will be very interesting.

But they will have to have it draft able long enough that MTGO can be used to practice for the GP that will use it.
I would be so poor if they did this...
Well we have a soft date for a release:

www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x...

07/06/13Saturday07:00 AM14:00 UTCModern Masters Limited**

**Due to the product used, the entry option for the Modern Masters Limited PTQ is increased to 45 Event Tickets.

Giving a slight discount on packs there, only 6.5 each.  
Hmmm, I hope they have regular limited queues for it too.
@Niabock
Nice find, thx