Pro Tour Gatecrash

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any thoughts on the metagame shape based on what we've seen so far?

It looks like there's way less Aggro than expected, but I think that's because the Pros all anticipated an Aggro-heavy metagame and wanted to dodge it.

That being said, it looks like my early fears were correct - All of the proposed new Control variants, like Esper etc. are all still singly inferior to the Thragtusk-blinking Bant builds.

Ho-hum.

Manabases are looking way greedier than I expected too - Paulo has noted that a whole bunch of times Ghost Quarter has been a Strip Mine. 
I haven't been able to watch this weekend but this post only surprises me about one thing: That Bant is beating Esper. I think that's simply because the Esper decks are tooled more to beat Aggro.

Edit: Oh right, I told you so. Looking at some of the coverage this morning (Man, WOTCS does a terrible job of post game coverage) and Conley built mono-black with Crypt Ghast/Griselbrand 

(at)MrEnglish22

I haven't been able to watch this weekend but this post only surprises me about one thing: That Bant is beating Esper. I think that's simply because the Esper decks are tooled more to beat Aggro.

Edit: Oh right, I told you so. Looking at some of the coverage this morning (Man, WOTCS does a terrible job of post game coverage) and Conley built mono-black with Crypt Ghast/Griselbrand 

I don't know if Bant is "beating" Esper in the sense of the head-to-head matchup; in fact, I'd wager the Esper deck probably has the edge with Drownyard superiority.

No, my point was that Bant is outperforming Esper against the field, suggesting Farseek and spamming Thragtusks into Revelations is still the most successful way to play "Control".

Also, Conley's Gonna Conley. 
Not gonna lie, that deck-tech on conley got my nipples hard.
Yeah, I'm not sure who wouldn't have Ghost Quarter protection. Pretty hilarious to not run any basics. 
Farseek and hitting land drops is more relevant than ever in these midrange matchups. Still haven't seen much Control, outside of Esper. Loved watching Wafo-Tapa a few rounds ago.

Seemed like the field prepared very well for the Aggro matchup.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

I need that damn E-FRO list...it looks AMAAAZZZINNNGG.
Bant Control splashing Wolf Run looks like the deck to beat right now. It is good against anything not Esper Control. 
12 out of a possible 32 Reckoners.

That sound you just heard was the bubble bursting.
12 out of a possible 32 Reckoners. That sound you just heard was the bubble bursting.

I counted sixteen.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

12 out of a possible 32 Reckoners. That sound you just heard was the bubble bursting.

So 3/8 of the top 8 decks played reckoner, when everyone expected reckoner and prepared their decks to beat it.

How is that a bubble bursting exactly? 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

So 3/8 of the top 8 decks played reckoner, when everyone expected reckoner and prepared their decks to beat it.

How is that a bubble bursting exactly? 

Yeah, I'd buy them now. This seems like the point where the card will spike to its highest point then burst after that. 
When everyone was buying Reckoner at prices expecting a 6-7 out of 8 decks running the full play set, that's the bubble popping.

3/8 with the hype that people gave Reckoner before the PT means the price is going to DROP, not go up.

EDIT: I missed the Reckoners in the Aristocrats deck, so it's 50%.

However, the premise remains the same. If this was a result by a card noone expected and few were playing (e.g. Stoneforge Mystic in the Caw-Blade debut), then 50% in the Top 8 would cause a dramatic rise in price.

However, the pretournament position was that 4 Reckoner would be in almost all of the Top 8 decks, and his price was the highest of any card in Gatecrash purely on that speculation. The fact that he turned out to be just a good card, that could arguably have made 50% of the Top 8 just by the sheer number of people who were playing him, is by comparison a drop.

Essentially, hype > results, therefore the price will trend down. 
The price was going to drop regardless because speculators created a false demand which drove prices up. The bubble is popping because nobody will pay $25+ for a rare in standard, not because the card is under performing. There is a difference. 
The price was going to drop regardless because speculators created a false demand which drove prices up. The bubble is popping because nobody will pay $25+ for a rare in standard, not because the card is under performing. There is a difference. 

I'd argue it's both.

Reckoner was overhyped both in price and power. 

I'd argue it's both.

Obviously we know your opinions on the card and you think it's not that great but it is still represented in half of the decks in the top 8. I don't think this is the same as when BR aggro was 50% of the field because Reckoner is being played a bunch of different decks doing different stuff. It's going in the aggro decks, the sorta bigger midrange stuff and being put into the flash decks. 

Also, Reckoner's preorder price was really low and sold low for a while. I would say it had no hype which caused it to blow up so hard which caused speculators and a lot of other people who didn't have 4 to go crazy over them.  

I'd argue it's both.

Obviously we know your opinions on the card and you think it's not that great but it is still represented in half of the decks in the top 8. I don't think this is the same as when BR aggro was 50% of the field because Reckoner is being played a bunch of different decks doing different stuff. It's going in the aggro decks, the sorta bigger midrange stuff and being put into the flash decks.

But that's the point - it was in so many decks, it would be astounding if it WASN'T in the Top 8. That's not to say it isn't a worthy card, because it is, but the last fortnight people have been going crazy about how it's the single most important creature ever printed etc. etc.

Also, Reckoner's preorder price was really low and sold low for a while. I would say it had no hype which caused it to blow up so hard which caused speculators and a lot of other people who didn't have 4 to go crazy over them.  

For the week of the prerelease, it was $3-5. Then the hype wagon started.
Yeah, it's such a crap card, it was only in HALF OF THE TOP 8 SLOTS OF THE PRO TOUR. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
And how many thragtusks out of 32 possible?

Boros Reckoner needs more time to grow.
You can't just take a complex card and toss it into an existing deck and win.

And how many thragtusks out of 32 possible?

Boros Reckoner needs more time to grow.
You can't just take a complex card and toss it into an existing deck and win.

Actually, you can. Take UWR for example.

And whoever wanted to see Efro's deck, its almost exactly like Saito's Naya deck from Twitter, don't see anything super exciting about it.

As for the matchups for first round of T8, here are my predictions:
Stark beats Mann
 Gerry beats Larson, but only because I want Gerry to win. The mirror will be primarily about who gets better draws and whichever one blinks and doesn't side in Geist. If Gerry wins, Stark will be in dire striats though. Larson gives Stark much better odds.
 Efro V Turtenwald is the only matchup that seems exciting to me because both players have a good chance to win. I think its in Efro's favor slightly, however, despite the fact I want Turtenwald's deck to win as it is better suited to win against DeTora AND Martell.
Detorra V Martell, this is probably Martell's terrible matchup, besides Esper. If DeTorra doesn't draw any Supreme Verdicts or gets enough value Tusks, she could very easily lose. Honestly don't see what's good about Martell's deck beyond the ability to turn your little dudes into big dudes late game with the High Priest.

I could keep extrapolating, but the deck I want to see do the best are Stark's Esper, Martell's pile, and Turtenwald's Jund. I want Martell to do well because I want the millions of netdeckers to get wrecked when they go to build the deck, but thats about it.
I want to see Efro wreck this top 8 because he deserves a good finish, but I dont' want to see a deck playing Gyre Sage doing well. Same for Turtenwald, but I want to play RUG or Bant for GTC Standard and want Huntmaster/Breeding Pool to stay cheap.

(at)MrEnglish22

Someone give me an update about the matches. I see I was right about Stark and Efro.
How right was I about the Gerry T match?

(at)MrEnglish22

Reckoner v Reckoner
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I have to say it was nice seeing another Sam Black creation take first place. In a meta full of Battlecruiser Magic, it was nice to see dorks and bears take it home.

Reckoner + Act was probably the scariest interaction in the tournament.

It's hard to go back now, but Laarson did have a chance to infinite in the third game, if he chooses Boros Charm instead of Azorius Charm with Augur. But he went with the safe bet, and it didn't quite work out for him. Amazing player nonetheless.  

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Sam Black is one if my favourite players, and probably the best deckbuilder on the Tour, but I have no idea about their deck.

It's mighty ugly, and I don't really understand why Cartel Aristocrat is playable over the 2/2 Vindicator outside of Angel Reanimator.

By my count, there are 119 Reckoners in the decks that went 18 points or better, out of a possible 396, for 30% representation.

It's too hard to count on my phone, but I intend to compare this to Thragtusk and maybe Augur of Bolas or RestoAngel this evening.
Sam Black is one if my favourite players, and probably the best deckbuilder on the Tour, but I have no idea about their deck. It's mighty ugly, and I don't really understand why Cartel Aristocrat is playable over the 2/2 Vindicator outside of Angel Reanimator. By my count, there are 119 Reckoners in the decks that went 18 points or better, out of a possible 396, for 30% representation. It's too hard to count on my phone, but I intend to compare this to Thragtusk and maybe Augur of Bolas or RestoAngel this evening.

If by that, you mean High Priest of Penance, that would be because A)it's a sacrifice outlet for a deck designed to make use of them and B)aristocrat is actually a 2/2 and high priest is only a 1/1.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Oh, I thought High Priest was a 2/2. Forget it then.

That being said, what besides Tragic Slip needs a sacrifice outlet in that deck (Hint: not Doomed Traveller).
It is so you can block/sac against opposing Reckoner.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
No, Islands, it's because the deck runs on sac outlets. Stop confusing people, lol.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Wrong about Boros Reckoner and now wrong about Cartel Aristocrat. 
Wrong about Reckoner?

Thragtusk had 123 appearances out of a possible 396, for a slightly higher percentage of 31% - there were more Thragtusk decks than Reckoner decks, but where almost all of the Reckoner decks were running 4 maindeck, there were a lot more people running 3 Thragtusks, or two, or even 1. There were also a handful of decks sideboarding their Thragtusks (some had a 1-1 split main and side, others had 4 in the side). 

Augur of Bolas saw more 3-ofs than 4-ofs, and came in at 83 out of 396, for 21%. 
Reckoner is a fine card. That's all there is to it. Its not overpowered, its not the best creature in the format, its not utter garbage. Let it go.

Also, the morbid deck runs Skirsdag High Priest, which runs off morbid. I did notice that. Still surprised that it won the PT 

(at)MrEnglish22

Crazy... a deck using a WB base to run off morbid with 4 Orzhov Charms to beat up on Reckoners.

If only someone had thought of that already this week.

(granted red is obviously nice, but I do like my green) 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

how the aristocrats won anything is amazing to me.... it looks like a complete pile

i had such high hopes for standard with RTR block coming into the picture, but it, for me, has just been one disappointment after another.  

should it be any wonder that reckoner isn't seeing as much play as thragtusk?  i'm pretty sure that thragtusk has always been a little more universal than reckoner is coupled with thragtusk (debuting into RTR standard) was in a smaller card pool.

you know what beats reckoner?  a hell of a lot.  esper control will pick up and start dominating a lot of people.  its just a few pros and wins away from being a real thing in this format.  supreme verdict laughs at reckoner and most other crap, but maybe not as much as terminus though. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Reviewing the coverage, it seems like Martel got very lucky in the Semis and Final - his opponents got terrible draws of flood or screw in 2 of their games (DeTora also misplayed one game badly, but its not clear whether or not that changed the result). That being said, Martel's topdecking of threats is not all that surprising given the deck is basically all threats anyway.

The metagame analysis noted that the deck's overall performance statistically wasn't strong, and that's before you factor in that it was exclusively played by the top caliber of players which means its true position was arguably worse.

I'm a little surprised at how popular Jund was over Naya, actually, but I guess removal is a premium commodity at the moment. Also pleasantly surprised to see Domri Rare perform so well.
It's interesting, but I think this PT Standard was not very well representitive of the larger standard at hand. Everyone expected hyperaggro and DeTora's list was more of a TurboLife deck that wins by turning creatures into fireballs which is significantly worse than the Bant decks from the last part of the season, but significantly better positioned in a room full of midrange players looking to gobble up the format's boogeymen. It feels like, as is the case with some PTs, some amount of the field over-meta'd and put themselves at a terrible disadvantage.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
how the aristocrats won anything is amazing to me.... it looks like a complete pile

i had such high hopes for standard with RTR block coming into the picture, but it, for me, has just been one disappointment after another.  

should it be any wonder that reckoner isn't seeing as much play as thragtusk?  i'm pretty sure that thragtusk has always been a little more universal than reckoner is coupled with thragtusk (debuting into RTR standard) was in a smaller card pool.

you know what beats reckoner?  a hell of a lot.  esper control will pick up and start dominating a lot of people.  its just a few pros and wins away from being a real thing in this format.  supreme verdict laughs at reckoner and most other crap, but maybe not as much as terminus though. 

Looks can be deceiving. They obviously were at the PT. Esper is only going to dominate people until they realize that they have 2 significantly solid options to wreck espers gameplan that can be played in ANY deck. 1 being pithing needle....and the 2nd being elixir of immortality....neither of which will be bad against other things.
neither of those cards are particularly frightening to esper.  there are plenty of answers to both, played naturally in the deck.  besides, anyone that things running a miser elixir as a trump to drownyard has clearly never had theirs simply milled away.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

And an answer to Drownyard would be ghost quarter
Crazy... a deck using a WB base to run off morbid with 4 Orzhov Charms to beat up on Reckoners.

Your decks are worlds apart.  His deck was an aggro decks, whereas you were running thragtusks and garruks.  It's like comparing loam decks to dredge decks:  yes, they both use the graveyard and dredge for value, but they're worlds apart in what they're trying to accomplish.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
And an answer to Drownyard would be ghost quarter

But nobody has been running it and I'm sure Stark knew that.  Even if they were, they'd need to deal with all 4 Drownyards since the game will go long and  Esper will outlast you. They only really need the one to win.  If they get Jace 3.0 online on top of that it's just gravy.

Your decks are worlds apart.  His deck was an aggro decks, whereas you were running thragtusks and garruks.  It's like comparing loam decks to dredge decks:  yes, they both use the graveyard and dredge for value, but they're worlds apart in what they're trying to accomplish.

The conceptual core is the same. =/

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Sign In to post comments