Is this a insta win combo?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so i think i found a instant victory combo for my discard deck, I have a "Ghoulcallers bell" [Artifact] (Which as you must all know) Taps to make each player put the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard, i have a "Mind crank" [Artifact] Whenever and opnent loses life that player puts that many cards from his or her library into his or her graveyard, and i have a "Duskmantle Guildmage" [Creature - Human Wizard] Tap 1 coulorless 1 swamp and 1 island for his first ability "Whenever a card is put into an opponents graveyard from anywere this turn, that player loses 1 life." Now if i pay the 3 manna for that ability and tap the Ghoulcallers bell to make them take the top card from their library it would deal 1 damage to them, now since 1 damage was delt Mind crank would make them discard another card from the top of their deck, and since another card was discarded they would lose another life causing them to discard again would it not? I think this would result in them loosing all their life or drawing out their deck wouldn't it?
Ghoulcaller's Bell
Mindcrank
Duskmantle Guildmage

Please autocard instead of making 99% of your post the card effects. It makes it easier to find and answer your question that way.

That combo will make you win if your opponent has more cards in his library than his life total, minus whatever the initial life loss was.

Emptying a player's library does not cause that player to lose the game. They lose if they try to draw a card from an empty library.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

To clarify a few things:

1. Yes, that more or less works. It forms a loop which will ultimately end up with your opponent either having an empty library, or 0 or less life (of course, other cards may or may not interfere with the loop, but if uninterrupted it usually has the desired result).

2. When you put a card from your library into your graveyard, you aren't discarding it. Stuff like Megrim won't trigger. You only discard cards from your hand. The unofficial term for library-to-graveyard is mill, after Millstone.

3. As Fenix points out, if you do end up emptying their library before they reach 0 life, they'll only lose when they have to draw from the empty library. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
you might aswell throw in equisite blood for good measure!
Sign In to post comments