Life Gaining Angel Deck

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've recently regained interest in MTG (haven't played the game since about 2004).
Some friends and I decided to get back into it (trying out tourneys and all), so we are going to build Type 2 standard decks.

I've sort of settled into a hard-headed desire to create an Angel deck (I had one many years ago), but was dismayed at the price of the slightly older theme decks that I could find on Amazon. 

I've found a custom pre-made deck that I am considering buying and using as a baseline.
There have been so many changes to MTG since I've been out of it that I'm kind of overwhelmed.

Anyway, this is the deck that I am looking to purchase.

24x Plains
1x Seraph Sanctuary
2x Bladed Bracers
1x Scroll of Avacyn
2x Righteous Blow
1x Vanguard's Shield
2x Cursebreak
2x Angelic Wall
2x Divine Favor
2x Avenging Arrow
2x Divine Verdict
2x Angel's Mercy
2x Seraph of Dawn
2x Knightly Valor
2x Voice of the Provinces
1x Ring of Thune
2x War Priest of Thune
1x Angelic Benediction
2x Serra Angel
2x Archangel
1x Serra Avenger
1x Herald of War
1x Requiem Angel

I'd like to substitute in some more impressive large Angels, if I find that they are Type 2 Legal.

How does this deck look for a starter?

What's a good direction to take this deck?

Or would it be better for me to grab a theme deck?  

I've read that Angels are not well represented in this current iteration of MTG.
I really would prefer to use them, but if there's something else that might suit me better, I am open to suggestions.
There are some very fine Angel creatures in today's Standard, but there's not really enough for an Angel Tribal deck - at least not a very good one. That's my view in any case.

Restoration Angel and Sublime Archangel are two of the most popular cards in Standard today. Sigarda, Host of Herons and Angel of Serenity see some play.

The really beefy girls are used in Reanimator decks. These are decks that purposefully discard high-casting cost cards and play them out of the graveyard with Unburial Rites typically.

Probably the only way to play a mostly-Angel deck would be to use and add a little mana-ramp in the form of Avacyn's Pilgrim and Arbor Elf or perhaps Farseek. Naya, or is also a possiblity but it's basically the same idea with a little thrown in. The trouble with more colors is you really need to spend more money to get the lands to run it properly.

Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on the deck you listed. There isn't anything that I would use in a Standard-constructed deck except perhaps War Priest of Thune and he's more likely to be a side-board card.

There was an intro deck not too long ago called Angelic Might that I've played casually. It could perhaps be tuned up into something usable at least for starters. Here's a link to it:

www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle...

There are a few M12 cards which are no longer Standard-legal and there is a fair number of awful cards in it as well but it's probably a better start than the deck you listed.

It's almost my bed-time so I'm going to leave it at that, but if you want, I can try to help you out with a deck list tomorrow.
Yeah, I guess I will not be buying this set then.
I'd be greatful for a few pointers tomorrow.   
Cut out angel's mercy. Now. It's terrible!!! The selesnya one is for one green one white gain 7 life. Also cut serra avenger. On your 4th turn you can play something much better.
Yeah, I guess I will not be buying this set then.
I'd be greatful for a few pointers tomorrow.   

There are a few things you need to sort out before starting, not least of which is budget. The good Angels are expensive and the mana needed for multi-color decks adds up pretty quickly.

You also need to determine your tolerance for paying $10-$15 bucks or more a piece for cards that will be Standard-legal for only about six more months. The Innistrad block - Innsistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored - is chock-full of Angels and a few of them are pretty good. Magic 2013 had three Angels, one of which is outstanding. The first two sets of the new block, Return to Ravnica, have six angels, one of which has a reasonable casting cost.

The best Angels in RtR are Angel of Serneity, Aurelia, the Warleader, and Firemane Avenger. AoS is a finisher for control decks, Aurelia is playable in Naya ( ), and Firemane is playable in a Boros ( ) aggro deck.

There are some popular deck archtypes currently using Restoration Angel and Sublime Archangel. Though they seem to have dropped substantially, these are expensive cards; expect to pay close to $15 for Resto and closer to $20 for Sublime. Many of these decktypes are and the mana base for these decks would run around $90 - $100. Temple Garden is RtR and good for over a year and Sunpetal Grove is M13 and I couldn't tell you the likelyhood that it will be reprinted in M14. It's been around for the last four sets but you just never know.

If you're interested in Innistrad block cards, then is probably the way to go. If you want to stick to the new stuff, then or is the way to go.

Decide some of these things and we can get started on a deck list. Decide also how competitive you want to be as oppossed to how strictly you want to adhere to the Angel-tribal theme. There are a number of Angels that are almost Standard playable that one could use in a theme deck.

I'd have replied sooner, but I was having problems with this website.  The html was all weird and I couldn't keep myself logged in to post replies.

I do like Angels, but I'd like the deck to be somewhat competetive.  I know that there are other creature types that synergize well with them, and I wouldn't be opposed to mixing it up with them (though would still prefer that the Angels take the center stage).

I'm okay with spending a few bucks on the more choice cards, but if I'm going to be doing that, then I'd prefer it that my deck isn't composed of too many cards that are going out of Standard in just a few months. 

A simple way of getting started with a moderately competitive deck with a play-set of Angels would be to build a Boros Aggro deck with Firemane Avenger and maybe one or two copies of Aurelia, the Warleader.

Something like this:

Keep in mind that this list is the result of about three minutes worth of feverish thought.

The sort of decks that would make use of the other Angels from the new block are not for beginners or for spur-of-the-moment design.

The Reckoners are somewhat expensive and Aurelia herself is somewhat expensive so you might want to substitute initially. Frontline Medic is playable and less expensive and Skyknight Legionnaire is a good, budget choice. A couple of additional burn spells would be okay or something like Oblivion Ring could work for you.

Go for the lands first if you decide to try something like this. It's important to have a good idea of what colors you're interested in before starting as it's expensive if you change your mind.

Give this a thought as I've just about reached the limits of my attention span for the time being.
Wow, the cost of these cards really adds up.

I'm considering attacking this from a different angle and buying the new 'Boros Battalion' starter deck and going from there.
I do like Aurelia, but isn't there some rule against having multiple Legendaries?  Why have two in the deck?

Those double color lands are really nice, but also prohibitively expensive.
The Boros Battalion set comes with a Red/White land that enters the game tapped (no conditions allow it to enter untapped), but those are much cheaper.

I may have to settle for those for now.        

I'm considering attacking this from a different angle and buying the new 'Boros Battalion' starter deck and going from there.
I do like Aurelia, but isn't there some rule against having multiple Legendaries?  Why have two in the deck?

The Boros Battalion set comes with a Red/White land that enters the game tapped (no conditions allow it to enter untapped), but those are much cheaper.

While only one Legendary permanent or Planeswalker may be in play at a time, you normally should include multiples to increase your chances of actually drawing it. A card will do you no benefit if you do not draw it.

Considering she's only 6cmc, she's definitely a game winner. I admit to pairing her up with Gisela in my W/B/R Rites deck and if both hit the field, it's game over. Especially if a Boros Charm is sitting in my hand.

Cut the Reckoners and Aurelia and that is a cheap deck. Reckoner will drop in price soon and the deck would do okay without either.

The Boros Event deck should be available soon if it's not already. Event decks are much better than Intro decks and well worth the $10 difference. An Event deck is a fine way to start; Intro decks aren't really competitve against anything but other Intro decks and the really, really bad.

Here's the link for the Gatecrash Event deck:

www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/productarticle...