Protect The Wagon!
Level 3 cooperative (no DM) module
Enroute to the Crystal Caverns, the heroes’ wagon gets stuck in some quicksand.
Any character trained in Perception, Dungeoneering, or Nature notices that this is a trap, craftily set by reptilian insects called Kruthik.
A series of hisses and chitters erupt from all around the party as small Kruthik hatchlings pore from burrows and start to make their way towards the wagon. You have stumbled into the middle of their hive.
75% difficult terrain (shifting sand, quick sand, shallow pond)
There are 3 structures (boulders, ruins, stalagmites,) that provide cover.
There is are 8 numbered 2x2 Kruthik burrows which cannot be attacked, damaged, or blocked. All burrows are “spawn” areas and are located at the edge of the map at the cardinal points (1=N, 2=NE, 3=E, 4=SE, 5=S, 6=SW, 7=W, 8=NW). At the center of the map is a 2x2 wagon. The wagon is blocking terrain and nobody would want to climb it because it would sink into the quicksand.
Players may set up their characters anywhere they want at the beginning of each round.
Players must kill the Kruthik Hive Lord before their wagon is destroyed or before they are all dead.
The wagon can take 30 points before being destroyed, It is immune to all effects. The wagon cannot be moved, or stealthed in any way. The Kruthik are drawn towards the wagon due to its secret contents.
Wave 1 = Each hive burrow starts with 1 Kruthik Minion next to it.
Once all of the Kruthik from a wave are killed, combat ends and each character can take a short rest and set up for the next wave. Each successive wave starts like wave 1 (with a minion adjacent to each burrow). Each player rolls 1d6 and consults the chart to determine further Kruthik reinforcements, and then 1d8 to determine which burrow the Kruthik spawns near (1=N, 2=NE, 3=E, 4=SE, 5=S, 6=SW, 7=W, 8=NW).
Wave 6 is the final wave. It consists of
1 Kruthik Hive Lord* (random burrow). The hive lord will attack the closest enemy unless marked.
1 Kruthik minion emerging from each burrow (just like on previous waves).
During this wave, one extra minion appears from a random burrow at the end of each round.
*Killing the Hive Lord wins the encounter.
HOW TO RUN MONSTERS WITHOUT A DM
Each Kruthik has two actions during its turn; a standard action and a move action. Standard actions can always be changed into move actions. Each Action Priority Chart must be addressed twice.
Minion and Young Kruthik Action Priority
(1) Minion and Young will attack enemies it starts its turn next to.
(2) Young will move towards/charge the closest enemy between it and the wagon (ending its turn closer to the wagon than where it started).
(3) Minion and Young will move towards the wagon unless blocked or their movement would result in taking damage or provoking attacks. This movement will try to skirt around auras and areas of threat. Kruthik must always end closer to the wagon.
(4) Minion and Young will attack the wagon.
Adult and Hive Lord Kruthik Action Priority
(1) Adult and Hive Lord will attack Wagon if it starts its turn next to it.
(2) Hive Lord will use Acid Blast if it can target two or more enemies.
(3) Adult will use Toxic Spikes if begins/or ends turn not adjacent to an enemy.
(4) Adult and Hive Lord will Claw attack the adjacent enemy that most recently damaged it.
(4) Adult and Hive Lord will move/shift towards the wagon unless blocked or their movement would result in taking damage or opportunity attacks. This movement will try to skirt around auras and areas of threat and must always end closer to the wagon.