Question about 2 of my decks

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was play testing the tempered steel deck I'm working on against my vampire deck and the Vamps won every time. My question is: Am I playing the steel deck wrong or is the Vampire deck just that much stonger?

Tempered steel list

Vampire Deck

[deck]
4 Vampire Lacerator
2 Pulse Tracker
4 Vampire Interloper
2 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Stromkirk Captain
2 Bloodline Keeper
4 Doom Blade
2 Terminate
2 Feast of Blood
2 Urge to Feed
4 Dark Ritual
3 Sign in Blood
4 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Tainted Peak
14 Swamp
[/deck]
The vampire deck looks good and strong-ish. The Steel deck looks like it's KINDA comboey. Maybe not comboey, but it does look like it needs a couple of turns to really get fired up. Maybe I'd need to play it to see what it can do, but from the decklists, I'm not surprised the vamps win.
Am I playing the steel deck wrong or is the Vampire deck just that much stonger?

I'm new here, but I hope I can help!

The Vampire deck is running more removal than the Tempered Steel deck, and the Vampire deck has more evasive/larger creatures (although I would have thought that the Vampire landbase + Tempered Steel recursion would have mitigated all that a little) - I wouldn't be suprised if the Vampires won more games, but winning all the games is suprising to me.

To help improve the Tempered Steel deck I'd remove the Memnite's for Ornithopter's as they synergize well with the Cranial Plating's and can meet the Vampires in the air. 
I'd consider adding Frogmite and/or Court Homunculus to provide some decent bodies on the cheap.
Has Genesis Chamber been benefiting the opposing decks a little too much? I would maybe look at adding Voltaic Key so that you can turn it off if you need to (and it works well with Steel OverSeer too).
The reason why steel is losing is because you aren't running mox opal

That's it.
T1:land-1-2 artifacts
T2:land-artifact/opal--->tap out for Steel
T3:swing with your now massive pumped dudes+removal. It literally is that one turn too slow that's janking you.
...Has Genesis Chamber been benefiting the opposing decks a little too much? I would maybe look at adding Voltaic Key so that you can turn it off if you need to...

The key untaps... this wouldn't turn off the Chamber. So do what you're suggesting, he would need something that could 'tap' the Chamber... He would need something something like Icy Manipulators.

@OP:  Mox opal as well as other affinity creatures (Frogmite and Myr Enforcer mainly) could help speed up your TS deck. You might want to consider adding in so you can access Galvanic Blast. Since your deck doesn't seem to be any certain legality (ie its, out of standard, artifact lands are banned in modern and it's too slow for legacy) you might want to consider running Phyrexian Walkers and/or Thoughtcast. Ornithopter would make the deck Allot  better, but you don't have to run 1 or the other (ornithopter or memnite).  You can run both of them. I'd think about dropping the Chamber and possibly the Remember the Fallens (or at least running few amounts of them) to make room for some of the cards that have been suggested.

EDIT:  Another good reason to add is for Shrapnel Blast, even if you only add in 1-2 copies, it's nice to have that extra reach that Galvanic Blast just can't get past.   

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

I think I figured out the main problem here. Somehow I left out the platings, which I need to throw on the skirge to keep my life up till I can get rolling.

Has Genesis Chamber been benefiting the opposing decks a little too much? I would maybe look at adding Voltaic Key so that you can turn it off if you need to (and it works well with Steel OverSeer too).

The chamber doesn't help the vamp deck too much as most of the vamps hit the board in the first 2 turns then get backed up by a new one every so ofetn, the steel deck drops about 2 creatures a turn constantly. I may just drop it anyway just to make more room.
The reason why steel is losing is because you aren't running mox opal That's it. T1:land-1-2 artifacts T2:land-artifact/opal--->tap out for Steel T3:swing with your now massive pumped dudes+removal. It literally is that one turn too slow that's janking you.

The problem here is that the opals are WAY out of my price Range. So I may just tweak it to get more speed.
 Since your deck doesn't seem to be any certain legality (ie its, out of standard, artifact lands are banned in modern and it's too slow for legacy) you might want to consider running Phyrexian Walkers and/or Thoughtcast. Ornithopter would make the deck Allot  better, but you don't have to run 1 or the other (ornithopter or memnite).  You can run both of them. I'd think about dropping the Chamber and possibly the Remember the Fallens (or at least running few amounts of them) to make room for some of the cards that have been suggested.

EDIT:  Another good reason to add is for Shrapnel Blast, even if you only add in 1-2 copies, it's nice to have that extra reach that Galvanic Blast just can't get past.   

I don't much worry about legality though I do want to keep the cards modern since it looks betterthan having a modern deck with 1 really old card . The only thing I don't like about the thropter is the same thing I don't like about signel pest, on its own it brings nothing to the offense. I do think I need more flyers though so I may put them in. I may splash for some red or blue here but I think I'll staighten out the other problems first.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">tbh i think the main issue here is the matchup.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">1 is fast agro the other fast midagro....midagro beats agro unless its really slow or cant block the agro deck. your vamp deck packs lots of removal and a  fair amount of flyers, so  im not surprised the odds are in vamps favor. Somewhat surprised that its completely onesided though, as both tempered steel and  cranial plating should be a problem.

id probably lose remember the fallen and genesis chamber though, both slow you down. court homunculus and ethersworn canonist seem like options. as does grafted wargear

but if you want to beat midagro, add scourglass to the deck