Lets try this again; Dega builds

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well it looks like my evaluation of Dega in the format was spot on I decided to create a new thred because my deck has gone through a few changes and the last thread got completely off track over a small atempt at trying to play a card.

Land: 24

4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Clifftop Retreat
1 Vault of the Archangel

Creatures: 17

4 Knight of Infamy
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Olivia Voldaren
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Geist-Honored Monk

Spells: 19

3 Duress
3 Searing Spear
2 Dreadbore
4 Orzhov Charm
2 Boros Charm
3 Lingering Souls
1 Rakdos's Return
1 Assemble the Legion

Sideboard: 15

2 Slaughter Games
1 Rest in Peace
1 Rakdos Charm
3 Skullcrack
4 Knight of Glory
+ 4 more

So what does everyone think? The list is meant to be mostly control but what Sam Black is playing in the Pro Tour right now is alot more agressive. And in the gneral the format is mostly agressive, is their any place for a more contorl based Dega build? I playtested High Priest of Penance along with some Rolling Tremblors along side Boros Reckoner for the cute little interactions but it just didnt seem worth it. Whenever I cast Rolling Temblor I either wiped the board anyway, or my opponent had enough of a board that it didnt save me. Cards that seemed to shine were Cartel Aristocrat But im not sure it would fit in this deck. Anyone have any ideas especially now that we have seen similair deck in the Pro-tour? I think my mana base could use some work for example.. I kinda just threw in every dual land I could :P
Out of curiousity, why is Geist-Honored Monk in the list?
Its a decent enough card on its own in a list with Lingering Souls I suppose but I really wanted to try it out with Assemble the Legion. Its probably one of the cards I'll cut in the future after more playtesting for something else like Falkenrath Aristocrat which seems to have been a huge player in the Pro Tour Dega builds. Its too bad that Assemble the Legion creates Soldiers and not Humans though :P
You shoul look into running blind obedience main if you want to be control, also look into geralf's messenger. Between messenger, obedience and ghost council you can siphon good chunks of your opponents life.
Geralf seemed too hard to cast being while trying to cast Boros Reckoner at :rwm::rwm::rwm: trun three aswell. Im barely comforatable trying to get away with Vampire Nighthawk. Blind Obedience really underperformed for me in the maindeck, maybe Ill give it a try again in the future though. Also after watching how effective it can be im going to go ahead and try Cartel Aristocrat in place of the knights in the deck. I really hate doing it though because the more and more I start to go that route the more and more it starts to feel like I mihgt as well just play the Dega Humans build that Star City was running :P
Orzhov Charm seem a little underwhelming. Also if u want to move more towards control, i would say u need some sort of card draw. Maybe Sign in Blood or Wild Guess. And planeswalkers probably wouldnt hurt either. Sorin, Lord of Innistrad seems like a good fit here. 

I would say
-4 Orzhov Charm
+4 Sign in Blood
-1 Geist-Honored Monk
-1 Assemble the Legion
+2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

And the aristocrats are better than the knights in my opinion.  
I keep forgetting as soon as I rember that I want to add an Underworld Connections into the deck for card advantage. I have changed around the number of Orzhov Charm in the deck but unconditional removal at instant speed is nice. I am curious about the suggestion of remving Assemble the Legion though. I actually think its a great card for a control deck that can support it. Especially against any sort of Esper control running mass removal it just devastates their ability to control the board. I also like that it serves as unlimited food for the Cartel Aristocrats. Do you think its still worth taking it out especially if im adding back in Sorins? 
I just felt Sorin was better than Assemble the Legion. Maybe running them side by side would work, or it could be a side board card that u bring in vs Control. 

Maybe a 2/2 split between Orzhov Charm and Dreadbore? I just feel that the life loss is too much of a drawback. Might even want to consider Victim of Night

I would also drop the Duresss that u have main board, unless your meta is full of control decks, because it is a dead draw vs aggro decks. 

I also think that Sign in Blood Is better than Underworld Connections