Priority vs. abilities

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
As an example, if I cast krenko's mob boss and I have a goblin on the battlefield that gives all goblins haste.  I now tap the 'Boss' to get my little goblinoids and my opponent then casts a burn spell to get rid of the 'boss', do I still get my goblinoids?

Then, what if it happens in reverse order?  I cast the boss but don't use his ability even though I can due to the haste effect.  My opponent burns it, then I tap to use his ability.

For some reason I am thinking that in both cases the goblinoids still come into play but I don't know 100% and I don't know how to explain it.

Is there a way to stop the boss from creating his minions in this case (when haste is taking affect)?

Please enlighten me?
You'll get your goblin tokens in either case.

In case 1, you'll get the goblin tokens because of this rule:

112.7a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won’t affect the ability. Note that some abilities cause a source to do something (for example, “Prodigal Pyromancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player”) rather than the ability doing anything directly. In these cases, any activated or triggered ability that references information about the source because the effect needs to be divided checks that information when the ability is put onto the stack. Otherwise, it will check that information when it resolves. In both instances, if the source is no longer in the zone it’s expected to be in at that time, its last known information is used. The source can still perform the action even though it no longer exists.

And, in the other scenario, you're of course fine, because you'll have priority to activate Krenko's ability in response to the burn spell. 
Krenko, Mob Boss.

You are correct.

Abilities are independent of their source, killing him will not remove his ability from the stack, it will still resolve, you will still get your goblins.

They would need a stifle or something.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
In both cases Krenko's ability will resolve and you will still get the goblins.
Removing the source of an ability doesn not counter the ability.

Note that Krenko's ability doesn't count the number of goblins you have until it resolves, so destroying him will result in one less token created.  (if he was your only goblin, when his ability resolved you would get no tokens.)
MTG Rules Advisor
Thanks everyone, that is what I thought I just couldn't explain it.  Now I know about the 'ability being independent of its source'.  Much appreciated.