new gatecrash cards..

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obzedat, Ghost Council

I have Sheoldred, the Whispering one down and my opponent has Obzedat, Ghost Council removed from play, at the beginning of his upkeep I argue that he'd have to sacrifice it because both abilities would trigger at the same time, therefore his creature is in play.

Also pertaining to Aurelia's Fury- this actually refers to all the cards like Silence and stuff like that, if someone were to play a non-creature spell, say a counter-spell, could you then lay Aurelia's Fury to counter their spell? A similar situation came up in a casual game with 6 of my friends the other day where someone cast a spell similar to Silence to declare that they couldn't play the spell they just attempted to play. Thanks in advance
you are wrong
Obzedat, Ghost Council's trigger gets put on the stack first (because he is the active player), then Sheoldred, Whispering One's trigger gets put on the stack (because you are the non-active player)

the stack resolves in reverse order, so at the time he has to sacrifice the Ghost Council is still exiled

Aurelia's Fury or Silence will not "uncast" spells, it will only prevent further spells from being cast
and it will only prevent spells from being cast when it resolves, so players can respond Silence with instants or cards with Flash
proud member of the 2011 community team
I mis-read that at first, I understand what you are saying. Thanks for your help, I wasn't sure about the ghost council thing but I was fairly sure that you couldn't "Silence" to counter a spell.
1. When multiple triggered abilities trigger at the same time they go on the stack in Active Player/Non-Active Player order (APNAP) so his ability goes on the stack then yours.  Yours will resolve before Obzedat has returned, and he will not be able to sac it.

2.  No, Aurelia's Fury is not a counter spell.  It can not stop spells that have already been cast.  (just like Silence)
MTG Rules Advisor
Can someone counter Aurelia's Fury?
Can someone counter Aurelia's Fury?

Yes.  It's ability won't do anything until it resolves.  While it is on the stack your opponents are free to cast spells.
MTG Rules Advisor
yes, as I said you can respond to Aurelia's Fury with Instants, such as Cancel

spells don't do anything until they resolve
Makes that spell a lot more under-powered than it would appear, I'd probably prefer a Thundermaw Hellkite or something but thanks guys for your help my understanding of how the whole Active Player -Non active player thing is now more clear
spells don't do anything until they resolve

As usual, there are exceptions to this general rule...

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

I was expecting a split second nitpick ;)
Storm works as well :p
This bring's about another question, when you have two things on the field that activate at the same time, like two things which activate during the upkeep which one activates first? My friend believes that he gets to choose, I argued that it depends on whatever one you laid first but I'm not 100%..
if more triggers trigger at the same time the controller of the source of the triggers decides the order
trigger (not activate)

each player in turn order starting with the active player puts all his/her triggers on the stack in whatever order he/she likes

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

This bring's about another question, when you have two things on the field that activate at the same time, like two things which activate during the upkeep which one activates first?

When multiple triggered abilities need to be put on the stack at the same time, they get put on the stack in "APNAP Order". That means that the Active Player (the person who's turn it is) puts his abilities on the stack first in any order, and then the Non Active Player puts his abilities on the stack in any order. Whichever ability is put on the stack last will resolve first.
Okay.. my understanding was from this rule:
13.6. Within a layer or sublayer, determining which order effects are applied in is usually done using a timestamp system. An effect with an earlier timestamp is applied before an effect with a later timestamp.
-This rule is pertaining to continous effects, so I guess it'd be like me laying my Library of Leng then Necropotence so I wouldn't have to remove any discarded cards from the game/

But, what you guys are saying is referring to activated abilities, ie. abilities that activate at the beginning of upkeeps it up to the owner to decide the order?
ok, you need to have a basic understanding of abilities

triggered abilities start with "When", "Whenever" or "At"

activated abilities are written in the form of {cost}:{effect}

static abilities simply apply

spell abilities happen during the resolution of a spell

now please rephrase your question with the correct terms
But, what you guys are saying is referring to activated abilities, ie. abilities that activate at the beginning of upkeeps it up to the owner to decide the order?

no, triggered abilities

abilities that trigger during the upkeep (or after other events)

abilities don't activate based on events, they trigger based on events

abilities activate because a player activates them

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Okay yeah I should've been more precise about what abilities I meant, its just sometimes confusing which abilities are which. So upkeep abilities are triggered abilities- and when triggered abilities are activated at the same time, the order in which they resolve is decided by the owner of the cards, not by the order in which they are played?
correct (except you still used "activate" instead of "trigger" ;))

they go on the stack in APNAP order, and if any player controls (not necessarily owns) more than one trigger that player decides the order of his triggers
timestamp has nothing to do with it
Sign In to post comments