D and D Novels

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I would like to ask a question about D&D and other similar fantasy novels. I have recently bought and am reading the novel "Swordmage," and I like the idea of novels focusing on specific classes.

Are there any D and D novels that focus on any of the following classes:

Artificer
Monk
Runepriest
Assassin
Battlemind
Bladesinger
Paladin
Bard
Cleric
Avenger
Warlord

Thanks for any info you can give me! 
Definitely the wrong forum, this is the Off-Topic Tavern, D&D is a forbidden subject around these parts, that being said, Wrath of the Blue Lady by Mel Odom features a monk, aside from that one I cant really think of anyother that really focused on a particular class, but im sure theyre out there.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Definitely the wrong forum, this is the Off-Topic Tavern, D&D is a forbidden subject around these parts,

yup
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
I think I detect sarcasm, but if not, I apologize for the wrong forum. Which forum would be the more appropriate one?
There is no such thing as sarcasm in the OTT.
Never speak of D&D around these parts, you will be hated, despised, and maybe reported.

Try the D&D General forums, or the specific campaigns sub-forums (particularily FR, lots of novels based on FR).

And please use D&D, not D and D.

I think I detect sarcasm,

Your sarcasm meter needs calibrated.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
Are there any D and D novels that focus on any of the following classes:

Ardent
Monk
Runepriest
Assassin
Psion
Battlemind
Bladesinger
Paladin
Bard
Cleric
Avenger
Warlord

Cleric is easy: The Cleric Quintet by Salvatore (also stars a monk)
Assassin, you have a couple choices: The Crystal Shard & its sequesls (also by Salvatore) in FR, or the Blade of the Flame trilogy (also a cleric) in Eberron
For Bladesinger, I think there was mention of a couple in Evermeet, but I don't think a book was dedicated to them
Bard & Paladin: the Azure Bonds trilogy
Psion: Bassingthwaite has two trilogies set in Eberron; the first has a psion as one of the main characters

I'm guessing the rest of the classes are 4E-specific, and I don't deal with that trash. 
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Speaking of not dealing with trash, don't read any D&D books at all.  Cuz they're all trash.  Srsly, lrn2reed.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Speaking of not dealing with trash, don't read any D&D books at all.  Cuz they're all trash.  Srsly, lrn2reed.

Word.
I thought "Queen of Demonweb Pits" was the worst novel I've ever read... But right after I've read ToEE novelization.
I think those turned me off books on game licenses and fantasy novels as a whole.
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
For those that are against the D&D novelizations, feel free to recommend actual well done novels that include characters that might be similar, but not identical to the classes I mentioned above. This will also make this topic more "off-topic."
No it won't. It is written right in the CoC that discussing D&D in the OTT is against forum rules. We have been moderated, and in at least one case, someone recieved a temp ban over it. So kindly ask to have this thread moved and stop breaking the CoC before you get ORC'd.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
Talking about novelizations of the game is not talking about the game itself.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
For those that are against the D&D novelizations, feel free to recommend actual well done novels that include characters that might be similar, but not identical to the classes I mentioned above. This will also make this topic more "off-topic."

Umm ... no?  I'm sorry but that sort of 'literature' in general is pretty terrible.  I suggest you start with something like Hemingway and then maybe take a look at some Faulkner.  From there maybe a little Adams, Heller or Burgess.  If you're still with us then take a look at some ol' school pimpin' from Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.  Maybe a little Nabokov once you're through there.  Then take it to the present with Ellis, Palahniuk, Welsh and most defintely McCarthy.  Just make sure you don't forget about Vonnegut and PK Dick no matter what you do and be sure to check out Takami, too.  Once done then you can go back to D&D books and their like and see what you were 'missing'.  ;)

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Talking about novelizations of the game is not talking about the game itself.

But it's still about D&D, which is off-topic here.
Oh, and
Wrong. It's not about D&D, it's about books. Which just happen to be on the list of approved subjects.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Wrong. It's not about D&D, it's about books. Which just happen to be on the list of approved subjects.

About D&D books, not books in general.
Go read the OP again.

Now if he would have said "fantasy books", I would have only been slightly annoyed.
D&D books =/= D&D
Neither do those abominable movies called "Dungeons & Dragons". Nor is the Tom Hanks movie from the '80s. It's all relative.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Then we simply have to agree to disagree.
The Dresden novels are good. 
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
I think I detect sarcasm, but if not, I apologize for the wrong forum. Which forum would be the more appropriate one?

don't worry about it, no one will report you and oddly enough the topic of D&D novels fits in here draco1119 pointed out since there is no other place to talk about them.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
The Dresden novels are good. 

Lies.

Section Six Soldier

don't worry about it, no one will report you except me

Well, the Le guerre del Mondo Emerso trilogy deals with a teenage assassin girl MC and I found it pretty enjoyable, though it wasn't till the end of vol 1 until I discovered it's a sequel to a trilogy about a different character, a teenage elf girl warrior. And while the assassin book was enjoyable for me, I found out that first volume of the first trilogy is really not targeted at me and I couldn't finish it. I gave it away to a teenage girl and she loved it however.
I don't think those are available in English anyway

And for literary snobs: I've finished The Martial Chronicles this morning and loved them.
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
ZB, you're right about ladyfayre's statement; the Dresden Files aren't good. They're PHENOMENAL!!!
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?

Umm ... no?  I'm sorry but that sort of 'literature' in general is pretty terrible.  I suggest you start with something like Hemingway and then maybe take a look at some Faulkner.  From there maybe a little Adams, Heller or Burgess.  If you're still with us then take a look at some ol' school pimpin' from Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.  Maybe a little Nabokov once you're through there.  Then take it to the present with Ellis, Palahniuk, Welsh and most defintely McCarthy.  Just make sure you don't forget about Vonnegut and PK Dick no matter what you do and be sure to check out Takami, too.  Once done then you can go back to D&D books and their like and see what you were 'missing'.  ;)

While I appreciate the condescension, I actually am looking for some nice breezy fantasy reading, so while I appreciate Lolita, it's not what I am after at this time.

And again, I apologize if this is off topic, but no other board seems to be set up to talk about books, let alone D&D or other fantasy books.

And to the poster that recommended the Dresden Files, I have already read all of them.

ZB, you're right about ladyfayre's statement; the Dresden Files aren't good. They're PHENOMENAL!!!

For what?  Cleaning up after potty time?

[While I appreciate the condescension, I actually am looking for some nice breezy fantasy reading, so while I appreciate Lolita, it's not what I am after at this time.

Then maybe you should try Pale Fire.  ;)

Section Six Soldier

Any Warpriest books out there?
If there's a god the answer to that question will be 'no'.

Section Six Soldier

Assuming you're talking about the actual 4E class *shudder*... Not that I know of.  If you want priests that go into combat, check out Pool of Radiance (AD&D 1E novel).
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?

Assuming you're talking about the actual 4E class *shudder*... Not that I know of.  If you want priests that go into combat, check out Pool of Radiance (AD&D 1E novel).

I use "Warpriest" because 4E is what I am most familiar with, but yeah, I mean priests in heavy armor kicking butt.

So your vanilla D&D cleric?
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

The Death Gate Cycle is a pretty good read, while the main character isnt very priestly, he does use runes!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Great recommendations, guys. I am looking to buy a lot of these books. Any barbarian books about people not named Conan? :p
Great recommendations, guys. I am looking to buy a lot of these books. Any barbarian books about people not named Conan? :p

And none of these has a character named Conan.

For barbarian hero type stuff, mostly just formulaic rip-offs of Howard's stuff . But history can be nice, if you're just interested in reading about "barbarians".
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory

Again, assuming you're asking specifically for D&D:
Dragonlance: "Riverwind, the Plainsman" and the original trilogy
FR: Any Drizzt novel with Wulfgar: The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, The Spine of the World, and Sea of Swords are all ones that have him as one of the major plotlines.  Either of the Moonshae trilogies might have some for you, too, but it's been years since I read the first one, and decades since I read the second.
Eberron: Don Bassingthwaite has two trilogies: the only character that show up in all six books are a shifter (class never defined, but probably ranger, fighter, or barbarian) and a human barbarian. 
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Isn't Spine of the World the one where he just whines for a couple hundred pages about being a worthless drunk?  If that's the case I can save any potential readers some time: take whatever part of your body is your favorite and smash it in a car door about 50 or 60 times.  That'll simulate the book well enough and in a fraction of the time.  Er, not accounting for time spent in the ER and recovery, of course, but it'll still be well worth it.

Section Six Soldier

Isn't Spine of the World the one where he just whines for a couple hundred pages about being a worthless drunk?  If that's the case I can save any potential readers some time: take whatever part of your body is your favorite and smash it in a car door about 50 or 60 times.  That'll simulate the book well enough and in a fraction of the time.  Er, not accounting for time spent in the ER and recovery, of course, but it'll still be well worth it.

Good point.  Skip Spine of the World.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Yeah, I absolutely hate 'message' books that bludgeon you with the message.  We get it, RA.  Alcoholism is bad.  Can you shut up about it now?  No?  Two hundred more pages you say?  Yippee ...

Incidentally, this is also why I don't like Animal Farm too much.  It's a bludgeon.  Gimme 1984 any day over that stuff. 

Section Six Soldier

Barbarian. The Blade Itself.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

The Eye of Argon.