Nerull

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I Long for Nerull to return. One of the shortcomeings of D&D 4th edition is the fact that Nerull was not included in the Pantheon of gods and I truly hope that he will be included in the future. If it were me here is what I would do:

Nerull would be not only a God of Death, Murder, Darkness, and the Underworld but also of the plagues and he would also be the leader of those that have overlaping portfolios those such as Incabulos, Cegilune etc. such Gods of would bow down before the Reaper of Flesh or be very respectful towards him. Nerull's ambition would be to become the ultimate King of all the gods and a step towards that goal is overthrowing Asmodeus the ruler of The Nine Hells of Baator taking his throne to that end Asmodeus and Nerull would be playing a chess game with the multiverse as the chessboard where neither side has a clear advantage over the other. All the Gods of Good would seek to maintain the Stalemate between the two.

His Homes would be in both Carceri and Hades and one version of his home would be an endless Cemetary. His cidital would be a colossal Mausoleum that streches upwards giving Nerull a full panoramic view of his empire. this would not be a place that anyone would set foot in unless they had thought the matter through because not only would Liches, Dracoliches, Vampires, Mummies,and all sorts of greater Undead would inhabit this planar Cemetary but because of another real danger; anyone that dies in this Cemetary ends up belonging to this Cemetary, bound to the will of the Reaper of Flesh.

"You do it because It gets hold of you, You make up reasons... they seem like good reasons... But mostly you do it because you've been up there, it's your place and you belong to it" Jud Crandall 'Pet Sematery'

Nerull is in 4e. He was the God of the Dead and Death until he unleashed a plague on the empire of Nerath that claimed its sorcerer-queen. He found her soul so magnificent and powerful that he tried to make her his queen. She refused and found the secret of how he was binding souls to gain power before turning on him and shattering the incumbent god, becoming The Raven Queen after removing all knowledge of her mortal name from the world. She took his domains for herself but the other gods intervened and caused her to become what she is now.

There is at least one cult attempting to ressurect Nerull and there have been a few hints that Aspects of him still exist in the cosmos. At least one is mentioned as being subservient to TRQ herself, serving as The Grim Reaper. I tend to make use of this last one in my games.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
So, just say 'Nerull exists in my game world'.  Problem solved.
So, just say 'Nerull exists in my game world'.  Problem solved.

+1

I play in a setting where none of the DnD gods exist.  In my home setting "The Powers" are an amalgamation of primal, divine and arcane energies.  You see the path to power isn't a linear process down a certain avenue like divine or arcane.  Its more like a ball of wibbly-whimy powery-wowery type stuff.

And its still DnD. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
It is indeed really easy to modify or add things like "deities" so do not hesitate to add a god if you need it in your campaign. You do not need an "official" return. Just say he was already there in your gaming world.
Nerull is in 4e. He was the God of the Dead and Death until he unleashed a plague on the empire of Nerath that claimed its sorcerer-queen.

Two points of correction.  1) Nerull did not unleash the plague.  2) This occurred back before the Dawn War, thousands of years before the Empire of Nerath formed.

Nerull was using the souls of the dead to power an attempt to dominate all reality.  He fell in love with the Raven Queen, a mortal who died of plague. But there's no indication that Nerull caused the plague.  (In fact, there are hints that Moradin and other gods crafted the Raven Queen's soul specifically for the purpose of her dying while still young and beautiful to seduce Nerull and stop his mad scheme for ultimate power.)

He made the Raven Queen his consort and then she led a revolt of souls against Nerull, slaying him and taking over his domain of death.  The gods swooped in while she was still young in godhood to prevent her from continuing Nerull's scheme, barring her from preventing gaining power from souls, thus allowing most of them to go onto the mysterious afterlife.  (She claims she never intended such a thing, but we'll never know for sure.  Plus, she seems awfully miffed that the other gods prevent her from doing something she claims to have no intention of doing.)

Anyway, at some point, the Raven Queen took on extra power my moving out of Nerull's plane of Pluton and laying claim as the sole goddess of the Shadowfell.  Then she took on the domain of winter when she helped the gods stop the original goddess of winter from taking over and she took on the domain of fate when she helped Corellon exile Lolth to the Abyss.
Actually Wrecan, Nerull did unleash the plague that killed the mortal that would become TRQ. My mistake was that she was Queen of Nerath. At the same time, I cannot find any reference to it happening before the Dawn War. Seems like they left the exact date of her death ambiguous.

Here is the relevant bit from Dungeon 171: The Raven Queen

Show
Tales about the Raven Queen’s origin are common
knowledge for most, even if the common folk can’t
name the Lord of the Dead who preceded her. As
the stories go, the Raven Queen was a mortal queen,
a warrior, or a figure of great power, but her great
strength and achievements couldn’t shield her from
the deadly plagues Nerull, then the god of death and
the dead, unleashed to harvest more souls to feed his
unnatural hunger. He, like others since, sought to
become king over all gods. He believed the path to his
conquest would be paved with the souls taken from
the dead.

For those that want the full article, here's the link that brings you straight to it.

www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dungeon/17...
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
Oooh.  You're right.  My mistake!
Hey, we both messed it up the first time around so no biggie. Wait... we're being far too civil for the WotC forums... *takes deep breath*

HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME YOU DIRTY *Insert bad words of choice here*! YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG AND I HOPE YOUR PLAYER'S HANDBOOKS BURN!

Show
I kid!
> Nerull was not included in the Pantheon of gods

In addition to what was said above, the PHB pantheon is that of the Nentir Vale/Nerath setting, not the Greyhawk setting. If you're playing in Greyhawk then Nerull probably continues to exist as usual. As for the Nentir Vale setting...

> he would also be the leader of those that have overlaping portfolios those such as
> Incabulos, Cegilune etc. such Gods of would bow down before the Reaper of Flesh or be very
> respectful towards him.

These guys likewise don't exist as deities in the Nentir Vale/Nerath setting, nor is portfolio overlap a standard element - there's only one god of whatever at a time.

> Nerull's ambition would be to become the ultimate King of all the gods

As noted, the Nentir Vale Nerull was trying that and... it didn't go well.

> and a step towards that goal is overthrowing Asmodeus the ruler of The Nine Hells of Baator
> taking his throne to that end Asmodeus

It would probably be easier to do this than to overpower the other gods, but it's unlikely that any god would WANT to do it owing to the likelihood that they'd inherit Asmodeus's curse. (And even if they didn't, would they really want to inherit his equally cursed and prone-to-deicide following?)

> All the Gods of Good would seek to maintain the Stalemate between the two.

On top of everything else I've just said, neither the Nentir Vale cosmology or the Nentir Vale pantheon is structured along alignment lines, so it's unlikely that good-aligned gods would care more (or less) about this than unaligned or evil-aligned ones.

Per Erik Scott de Bie, co-author of The Shadowfell, if desired: "most of the Raven Queen-related lore is my baby" and "I interpret the Raven Queen as basically *being* Wee Jas, albeit having absorbed Nerull's power and become a blacker deity". "erdana,Arial,Helvetica">erdana,Arial,Helvetica; font-size:small">Wee Jas + Nerull = Raven Queen. That RQ is WJ having been corrupted by enough of Nerull's energies to make her somewhat darker and more fatalistic. No longer does she believe in trying to put off your fate through undeath, as she sees the inevitability of death as a given. "
Looks like some people could do a great job expanding the wiki . . . . 

community.wizards.com/nentir_vale/wiki/R...

and

community.wizards.com/nentir_vale/wiki/N...

that said, I think one of the worst background lore retcon was that Nerull was in turn a mortal usurper of Aurom.