Simple shuffling/cutting questions

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there any specific reason why people like to shuffle their hand while playing? I mean, I've seen Pro Tour videos online and I was always just confused why most people shuffle their hand constantly. Also, why do people "cut" other's decks sometimes by taking the top 7, and putting them on bottom? Is that just a dick move or are they worried about stacking your deck? 
Is there any specific reason why people like to shuffle their hand while playing?

The main practical reason is to make it make it hard to determine what is in your hand. Skilled players can make educated guesses about what you have in your hand simply by where you place a newly drawn card or which cards you clump together. But if you shuffle your hand, they can't get that information. And it wouldn't do to only shuffle when you need to hide something, since that would reveal you have something to hide, so instead they shuffle frequently so that no pattern can be discerned.
Also, why do people "cut" other's decks sometimes by taking the top 7, and putting them on bottom? Is that just a dick move or are they worried about stacking your deck? 

Well, it's standard procedure to cut or shuffle after the opponent has presented his shuffled deck to you. I can't say i've noticed a tendency to cut exactly 7 cards though.

I do it because it lets me see my hands in different orders, and sometimes different things come to me by seeing the cards a certain way. It also makes it hard for your opponent to track what you last drew.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Is there any specific reason why people like to shuffle their hand while playing? I mean, I've seen Pro Tour videos online and I was always just confused why most people shuffle their hand constantly.

Possibly a nervous habit, and also so that the other player can't track which cards are where in their hand.

Also, why do people "cut" other's decks sometimes by taking the top 7, and putting them on bottom? Is that just a dick move or are they worried about stacking your deck? 

Neither.  You can cut the deck by moving one card or all but one or anything in between.  No special meaning or "dickness" involved.  Some players use the motto "cut thin to win".

I remember one player would pull seven random cards from his opponent's deck and put them on top to "create" his opponent's starting hand.

Drove some player's nuts. Probably did it for psychological warfare. 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I shuffle my hand, as does my brother, for probably the same reasons. It's an idle movement thing.

I really don't let cutting bother me, if I'm meant to win, I'm meant to win, if I'm not, I'm not. In fact, shuffling (strangely enough) is the one that makes me most angry, ironically.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I'm not a fan of the constant hand shuffling, but if it helps the opponent think they're winning, more power to them.

Similarly, since I don't stack my deck because it would belittle any gratification from a win I'd get by cheating, I often don't cut an opponent's deck beyond the initial shuffle simply on the premise that "if they need to stack their deck to beat me, I've already won." It isn't a good premise against some cutthroat types, but I just play as if everyone had good sportsmanship and could win without cheating. I guess I'm a naive optimist about it though...

I do cut and/or shuffle if the opponent specifically requests it, as I find that to be a gesture of sportsmanship in that they plan to beat me fairly (or at least try...) and want to make sure I know they did it fairly.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
My mama taught me I should trust everybody... but always cut the cards.
Sign In to post comments