Contest - 24 hr - Re-Card the Art - Yixlid Jailer

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
24 hours.

Re-Card the art.

Yixlid Jailer.
We can change everything but the art, and the name, right?
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.

Meat Locker 
Artifact
: Exile a creature card with the converted mana cost of X from an opponent’s graveyard.
: Put a creature card with the converted mana cost of X that was exiled by Meat Locker onto the battlefield under your control.
Ah, fresh meat.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

We can change everything but the art, and the name, right?

change everything but the art
design around the art

Deadman Jailer

Creature-Zombie Wizard
Deathtouch
Whenever a creature dies, exile it.
You may play cards exiled by Deadman Jailer.
2/3

Morgue Jester
Creature - Zombie Advisor

When ~ enters the battlefield, target player sacrifices a creature of your choice and a creature of his choice.
Sacrifice a creature: Return ~ to your hand.

3/3
Brush Aside |

Instant [R]

As an additional cost to cast Brush Aside, sacrafice any number of creatures.

Split Second.

You may choose new targets for target spell. For each creature you sacraficed, you may copy that spell. If you do, you lose 2 life and may choose new targets for each copy.

Did you really think I would let you get away with that?

Gatherer:

A card with Phyrexian mana symbols in its mana cost is each color that appears in that mana cost, regardless of how that cost may have been paid.

To calculate the converted mana cost of a card with Phyrexian mana symbols in its cost, count each Phyrexian mana symbol as 1.

As you cast a spell or activate an activated ability with one or more Phyrexian mana symbols in its cost, you choose how to pay for each Phyrexian mana symbol at the same time you would choose modes or choose a value for X.

If you're at 1 life or less, you can't pay 2 life.

Phyrexian mana is not a new color. Players can't add Phyrexian mana to their mana pools.

You may change any number of the targets, including all of them or none of them. If, for one of the targets, you can't choose a new legal target, then it remains unchanged (even if the current target is illegal).

If the targeted spell is modal (that is, it says "Choose one --" or the like), you can't choose a different mode.

If you cast Brush Aside targeting a spell that targets a spell on the stack (like Cancel does, for example), you can't change that spell's target to itself. You can, however, change that spell's target to Brush Aside. If you do, that spell will be countered when it tries to resolve because Brush Aside will have left the stack by then.

Brush Aside can target any spell, not just an instant or sorcery spell. For example, you could use it to change the target of an Aura spell. However, if the targeted spell has no targets (for example, if it's an instant or sorcery spell that doesn't specifically use the word "target," or if it's a creature spell), Brush Aside won't have any effect on it.

If, for example, the spell you are copying is an Aura, only the original spell (who's target may or may not have been changed) will enter the battlefield. The others will resolve, and then cease to exist.

You don't need to sacrafice any creatures when you cast Brush Aside. If you don't, you simply won't copy the spell.

The creation of each copy and the casting of each copy are both optional.

If the spell Brush Aside copies is modal (that is, it says "Choose one --" or the like), the copy or copies will have the same mode. You can't choose a different one.

Each copy will have the same targets as the spell it's copying unless you choose new ones. You may change any number of the targets, including all of them or none of them. If, for one of the targets, you can't choose a new legal target, then it remains unchanged (even if the current target is illegal).

If the spell copied by Brush Aside has an X whose value was determined as it was cast (like Earthquake does), each copy has the same value of X.

You can't choose to pay any additional costs for each copy. However, effects based on any additional costs that were paid for the original spell are copied as though those same costs were paid for each copy too. For example, if a player sacrifices a 3/3 creature to cast Fling, and you copy it with Brush Aside, each copy of Fling will also deal 3 damage to its target.

If each copy says that it affects "you," it affects the controller of each copy, not the controller of the original spell. Similarly, if each copy says that it affects an "opponent," it affects an opponent of each copy's controller, not an opponent of the original spell's controller.

((Sorry for the Gatherer being long. When you combine Redirect with Reverberate with Phyrexian Mana, you get the Gatherer of all of them.))
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
24 hours.

Re-Card the art.

Yixlid Jailer.

Bloodchain Slavekeeper   4BB
Undying
When " " etb, put three 0/1 Black Thrull tokens onto the battlefield under your control. Whenever " " leaves the battlefield, exile all Slaves you control. Target opponent puts X 1/1 White Spirit tokens with flying onto the battlefield, where X is the number of creatures exiled in this way.
3/3
Completion Chamber

Enchantment

Replace each instance of a coloured mana symbol in the mana cost of creature cards in your hand with (p)(p). (For example, a creature card with mana cost would now cost (p)(p)(p)(p).)

Deadman Jailer

Creature-Zombie Wizard
Deathtouch
2/3

It would be weird if you had two of these out.

Deadman Jailer

Creature-Zombie Wizard
Deathtouch
2/3

Not really.
Whenever a creature dies, that many triggers would go on the stack in the order you choose.
You exile the creature to the first one to resolve, and each successive trigger does nothing on resolution since there is nothing to exile.
Hoarder of the Damned
Creature - Zombie Horror
All graveyards are your graveyard.
"Which larder should we pick from today?"
2/2

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
this was supposed to close 11 minutes ago
but i'm sick as ****
so, it's open indefinitely
sorry for any inconvenience
Psychopath
Creature - Human Rogue
Swampwalk
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices a creature.
Your opponents may pay to draw a card. They may activate this ability only any time they could cast a sorcery.
2/2

Deadman Jailer

Creature-Zombie Wizard
Deathtouch
2/3

Not really.
Whenever a creature dies, that many triggers would go on the stack in the order you choose.
You exile the creature to the first one to resolve, and each successive trigger does nothing on resolution since there is nothing to exile.

That and the fact that each ensures the other's survival. That's just cool as funk. Stick out a clone or sumthin'... I hope you win this contest. Your card is just the dog's shizzle, if you know what I'm sizzling. But why did you put in the deathtouch?
Blood Stamp
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
At the end of your turn each creature gets a -1/-1 counter then put that many +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.
"All are destroyed except the stamped. They always leave some to collect and dispose of the remains."
Don't be too smart to have fun
That and the fact that each ensures the other's survival.

I actually hadn't considered that. Neat. :D
  But why did you put in the deathtouch?

Make it easier to kill things. ;D
*Post weekend bump*

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

*Post weekend bump*

gonna do this tomorrow at work

AzureShade = Meat Locker = pretty big investment -- cmc 6 isn't cheap; and it's two step to get anything out of it -- unless opponent is running a weenie deck, and you're basically just reanimating 1/1s to block and harass, not sure the cost is worth it -- granted, it can't be too much cheaper; recurring reanimation is pricy (see Beacon of Unrest) -- and you have a number of uses: just exiling graveyard to prevent them from reanimating, or unearthing, or scavenging, etc -- still, can't help but feel like that cost is just so much.. but not sure where you could cut it; cmc 5 or 4 would certainly be pushing it.. but.. acceptably?  maybe?

HairlessThoctar = Deadman Jailer = black cmc 3 2/3 deathtouch zombie is already very solid; zombie tribal support is very serious -- the exile all deaths has implications; adding ability to play becomes unbelievably strong -- you could balance by adding legendary (make sure only the 1, and added removal strategy for opponents) -- even then, though, still so powerful -- I would prefer if he only exiled creature he killed, and could only bring them back; if you want to exile all, need to drop the ability to bring back

Esterdi = Morgue Jester = cmc 5 all black is so restrictive; 4 black mana get you Phyrexian Obliterator -- you are getting a big boon (double removal that gets around hexproof and indestructible (and you choose one of them!)) and you get a 3/3 body out of it.. which you can pull back and drop again for the double removal -- it's a very powerful effect, and it's a very restrictive cost -- I would prefer toned down power so you can tone down the cost, but I guess it is balanced as designed (though definitely on the stronger side)

Habreno = Brush Aside = interesting take on the artwork -- really complicated and messy spell, though -- multi-kicker of sacrifice and pay 2 life to copy a spell tacked onto a Twincast // Reverberate which you can get into any color deck by paying the life for the phyrexian mana.. -- so, if you have three creatures and 12 life and 2 extra mana, you can turn a Cruel Ultimatum into -20 life (and all the other crazy effects on that monster) -- if you have no creatures and are playing mono black, this is a cmc 5 Redirect in black -- you're trying to do way too much here and it just gets too messy and bizarre

SuperSpawnWrithe = Bloodchain Slavekeeper = what's the creature type? -- "exile all Slaves you control".. unless you have creatures with Changeling out, you don't have any slaves.. did you mean Thrulls? -- you get a 3/3 and 3 0/1s, but if he dies, you get a 4/4 and 3 more 0/1s (while opponent gets 3 1/1 fliers (and potentially another 3 1/1 fliers when he kills your guy again)) -- is that worth it?  do you really want a 0/1 that will turn into a 1/1 flying for an opponent?  power and evasion are a lot more useful than a chump blocker

vlord = Completion Chamber = focusing on the room and not the individual; nifty -- color changing is mostly blue (long ago, was in all colors, but current color identities strongly black) -- the downside of this effect would be frustrating to play; you can get a Phyrexian Obliterator out for 16 life on turn 1 (remember that time you totally broke the game?) but converse is that simple spells, like Typhoid Rats now cost more to cast than they did before! -- the ability to get a Phyrexian Obliterator or other card out on turn 1 breaks this; spells with all dedicated mana (which are meant to be super restrictive) now become crazy abuseable -- additionally, it's the ultimate color fix (especially if you have a Nirkana Revenant out; it's suddenly much much easier to cast crazy multi-color cards in mono-black, potentially not even having to spend that much life

Dudibus = Hoarder of the Damned = unfortunately, this will result in rules breaks -- players can't have cards they don't own going into their hands (much as players can't have cards they don't own going into their graveyards); by making all graveyards "your" graveyard, you can Aphetto Dredging cards from opponent's graveyards into your hand.. at which point the game throws up its hands and storms off at riling "well, if you're not going to play by the rules, I'm going home" -- it was a very cool concept, and reasonably priced for the effect.. if the rules could handle it

SimonGlume = Psychopath = a 2/2 swampwalk, even if it's a board cleaner on entry, is absolutely not worth giving your opponents an AWESOME card draw ability; on main phase, pay 2 life and draw a card as many times as you like.. yes; I wouldn't mind you playing this in the slightest!  please, please play this against me! -- if you combo it with Zedruu the Greathearted it would be epic.. but that's a pretty rough combo to set up

morticianjohn = Blood Stamp = that's pretty strong; gradual board removal while massively powering up your own guy.. -- I'm sure you're aware that the -1/-1 counter put on the enchanted creature will then be canceled out by one of the +1/+1 counters as a state based action -- as long as you don't play this on a 1/1, you're going to turn anybody into a bruiser while potentially crippling your opponent's board state -- and given the recent black theme of liking to be the only creature out (and/or black exalted and being the only creature attacking) the draw back of weakening your own force is just fine -- wording should be "beginning of your end step" not "end of turn"

Boooo...the rules specifically state that you can't put cards you don't own into your hand?  These comp rules are starting to irk me somethin' fierce.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Boooo...the rules specifically state that you can't put cards you don't own into your hand?  These comp rules are starting to irk me somethin' fierce.

yeah
am at work, and the rules are blocked
but it is in there

look at all the bounce cards -- always talk about returning a creature to its "owner's" hand, not controller
and all the cards that fetch from graveyard are limited to "your" graveyard for this same reason
I meant Thrulls. And I suppose it's a Zombie. So what's your criticism? Overcosted? Isn't worth it? 0/1 Thrulls can be used for more than just chump blocking, my good fellow: this single creature bears fruit to 7 sacrifices and a 4/4 Zombie. That could be 7 +1/+1 counters on a Carrion Feeder

Habreno = Brush Aside = interesting take on the artwork -- really complicated and messy spell, though -- multi-kicker of sacrifice and pay 2 life to copy a spell tacked onto a Twincast // Reverberate which you can get into any color deck by paying the life for the phyrexian mana.. -- so, if you have three creatures and 12 life and 2 extra mana, you can turn a Cruel Ultimatum into -20 life (and all the other crazy effects on that monster) -- if you have no creatures and are playing mono black, this is a cmc 5 Redirect in black -- you're trying to do way too much here and it just gets too messy and bizarre.

Brush Aside |

Instant [R]

As an additional cost to cast Brush Aside, sacrafice any number of creatures.

Split Second.

You may choose new targets for target spell. For each creature you sacraficed, you may copy that spell. If you do, you lose 2 life and may choose new targets for each copy.

Did you really think I would let you get away with that?

Gatherer:

Show
A card with Phyrexian mana symbols in its mana cost is each color that appears in that mana cost, regardless of how that cost may have been paid.

To calculate the converted mana cost of a card with Phyrexian mana symbols in its cost, count each Phyrexian mana symbol as 1.

As you cast a spell or activate an activated ability with one or more Phyrexian mana symbols in its cost, you choose how to pay for each Phyrexian mana symbol at the same time you would choose modes or choose a value for X.

If you're at 1 life or less, you can't pay 2 life.

Phyrexian mana is not a new color. Players can't add Phyrexian mana to their mana pools.

You may change any number of the targets, including all of them or none of them. If, for one of the targets, you can't choose a new legal target, then it remains unchanged (even if the current target is illegal).

If the targeted spell is modal (that is, it says "Choose one --" or the like), you can't choose a different mode.

If you cast Brush Aside targeting a spell that targets a spell on the stack (like Cancel does, for example), you can't change that spell's target to itself. You can, however, change that spell's target to Brush Aside. If you do, that spell will be countered when it tries to resolve because Brush Aside will have left the stack by then.

Brush Aside can target any spell, not just an instant or sorcery spell. For example, you could use it to change the target of an Aura spell. However, if the targeted spell has no targets (for example, if it's an instant or sorcery spell that doesn't specifically use the word "target," or if it's a creature spell), Brush Aside won't have any effect on it.

If, for example, the spell you are copying is an Aura, only the original spell (who's target may or may not have been changed) will enter the battlefield. The others will resolve, and then cease to exist.

You don't need to sacrafice any creatures when you cast Brush Aside. If you don't, you simply won't copy the spell.

The creation of each copy and the casting of each copy are both optional.

If the spell Brush Aside copies is modal (that is, it says "Choose one --" or the like), the copy or copies will have the same mode. You can't choose a different one.

Each copy will have the same targets as the spell it's copying unless you choose new ones. You may change any number of the targets, including all of them or none of them. If, for one of the targets, you can't choose a new legal target, then it remains unchanged (even if the current target is illegal).

If the spell copied by Brush Aside has an X whose value was determined as it was cast (like Earthquake does), each copy has the same value of X.

You can't choose to pay any additional costs for each copy. However, effects based on any additional costs that were paid for the original spell are copied as though those same costs were paid for each copy too. For example, if a player sacrifices a 3/3 creature to cast Fling, and you copy it with Brush Aside, each copy of Fling will also deal 3 damage to its target.

If each copy says that it affects "you," it affects the controller of each copy, not the controller of the original spell. Similarly, if each copy says that it affects an "opponent," it affects an opponent of each copy's controller, not an opponent of the original spell's controller.

((Sorry for the Gatherer being long. When you combine Redirect with Reverberate with Phyrexian Mana, you get the Gatherer of all of them.))

Copied the card and put my Gatherer rulings in spoiler to shorten the post.

Black has a habit of doing things other colors do, but not as efficently or with other costs. Paying life for Black is not a new idea, nor is sacraficing creatures for your benefit.

I always felt that Black could use a fairly expensive Redirect, and also thought that if we're going that high in costs, we can add in a copy ability. Giving it Split-Second may be a bit much, but if you put so much into this, all for a simple Cancel to ruin your day, you're not going to be happy. Normally, a high-CMC spell is a risk anyway, because you're putting resources into one thing vs many. Here, you're also putting your entire board state and game state on the line for one spell. It's akin to a coup. And a coup, I feel, would fit Black rather well.

As an honest question, what do you feel would balance it?
56544366 wrote:
Why does it need the phyrexian mana in the mana cost anyway? Removing it would both simplify and balance the card.
Why does it need the phyrexian mana in the mana cost anyway? Removing it would both simplify and balance the card.

This is the kind of suggestions I'm asking for. I honestly figured triple Phyrexian would be too expensive to play outside Black, and even in Black, the triple phyrexian gives you the advantage of it being useful over several turns.

I can see it as , though.
56544366 wrote: