Gatecrash Crack-A-Pack 2

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another simple, straight-forward exercise.  What do you take?

Shadow Slice
Warmind Infantry
Scatter Arc
Smite
Primal Visitation
Kingpin's Pet
Sage's Row Denizen
Razortip Whip
Madcap Skills
Death's Approach

Gift of Orzhova
Thrull Parasite
Experiment One

And the rare:
Borborygmous Enraged

I personally see lots of choices here.  I don't feel terrible about going P1P1 on Smite or Kingpin's Pet.  Experiment One is a possibility.  Warmind Infantry and Sage's Row Denizen are a little worse, not terrible, but probably not what you want to start with.  So if I'm spiking it, I'm probably going to go with Kingpin's Pet, but I could be persuaded to say Smite.

I wouldn't be against trying to get Borborygmos to work, just for fun.

What do you guys say?
Personally I like Madcap Skills here but Kingpin's Pet is a fine card.

I prefer not to commit to two colors for a 2/2 flier for P1P1 if I can help it.

Madcap Skills is pretty nuts.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Skills, Parasite, Smite and Experiment are all solid, mono-color options, and the hybrid aura is pretty good too.

I think I would end up picking the Smite.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I would probably take the Smite. It's one mana instant remval with a pretty simple condition to meet save against a few unblockables. Doesn't put you in two colors out of the gates and is splashable in pretty much any archetype.
I'll third the smite. Card is great. I think the parasite makes a good second. With 6 BW spells Orzhov would probably wheel in this pack.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Experiment One

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

experiement one > pet > smite
if it's strictly variance; 1/1 for 1+evolve and gains value off the regen is much higher in value than a conditional removal spell, which you're most likely to see another 2/3 at common level.

if you're picking conditional removal dependent on playables like skyjek's, syndics, pets and screechers; IMO you've taken the wrong card for value.
Experiment 1
I guess I'm the only one not afraid to admit, I'd take the Borborygmos Enraged. I'm not saying it's not a great pack, and sure the Smite beats him easily, but the cyclops is both fun and powerful. Green has plenty of common ramp which I would prioritize. I'm not convinced yet the set is so ridiculously fast that we just pretend the expensive fun bomb rares aren't in the pack.
My initial assessment was Experiment One then Madcap Skills.  As with above, I'd rather pick a mono coloured card pick one given the choice, which rules out Kingpin's Pet and I can usually pick up Smite a few picks down the line if that's what I want.  I really like Madcap Skills, but I'm not sure if I'm just seeing all the upside and I can really see Experiment One being good in the right deck.

If this were an actual FNM pack one for me though, I'd probably take the mythic and try to build a sweet gruul deck as I don't have Borborygmos Enraged for my collection yet. 

Cheers
Smite seems like the pick, since it is the best card with a single color commitment. I am finding Madcap Skills less and less useful as the set goes along, and Experiment One, while good, isn't as compelling as Smite which appears to be one of the better removal spells in the format.
I guess I'm the only one not afraid to admit, I'd take the Borborygmos Enraged. I'm not saying it's not a great pack, and sure the Smite beats him easily, but the cyclops is both fun and powerful. Green has plenty of common ramp which I would prioritize. I'm not convinced yet the set is so ridiculously fast that we just pretend the expensive fun bomb rares aren't in the pack.

The thing is, 8 mana is a LOT.  I am fine trying to resolve 7-drops in this format, I think that happens.  But 8-mana is way more than 7 (as crazy as that might sound).  I think it could be done, but you either need a way to stall out (Red is bad at this usually) or get up to 8 mana faster (there are ways to do this w/ green).
Smite seems like the pick, since it is the best card with a single color commitment. I am finding Madcap Skills less and less useful as the set goes along, and Experiment One, while good, isn't as compelling as Smite which appears to be one of the better removal spells in the format.

Disagree. The only match I lost last night (5-1) at my GP Yokohama trial was in the first round where Madcap Skills on a Skyknight Legionnaire in both games. I was able to cast a second flier once to potentially stop him but then he burned one of them.

Really, really good!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

Disagree. The only match I lost last night (5-1) at my GP Yokohama trial was in the first round where Madcap Skills on a Skyknight Legionnaire in both games. I was able to cast a second flier once to potentially stop him but then he burned one of them.

Really, really good!

Sometimes yes, more often no.

That particular interaction is a Mugging away from going up in smoke.

Really, really good!

Not a valid point, unfortunately.

Dies to removal doesn't make a really strong, low cost combination bad.

It makes it not-broken. You should be careful to consider the inherent risks of auras even if they are as powerful as Madcap Skills and Gift Orzhova. I saw someone at a Sealed tournament last night put two Skills and a Forced Adaption on his Disciple of the Old Ways. It took a 2/2 and a Pit Fight to ruin his game-plan completely. Sometimes, they do have it. You can't ignore the power of auras, but you can't ignore the risks either. Both should factor in your evaluation. This is why Madcap Skills, Gift of Orzhova and to some extent Way of the Thief are "good" auras; a single well-timed attack with them has a lot of impact and they need an answer very fast. Compare that to lackluster auras like Forced Adaption; your opponent has plenty of time to draw an answer before the enchanted creature becomes half as dangerous as if it had been a Madcap Skills.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
It makes it not-broken. You should be careful to consider the inherent risks of auras even if they are as powerful as Madcap Skills and Gift Orzhova. I saw someone at a Sealed tournament last night put two Skills and a Forced Adaption on his Disciple of the Old Ways. It took a 2/2 and a Pit Fight to ruin his game-plan completely. Sometimes, they do have it. You can't ignore the power of auras, but you can't ignore the risks either. Both should factor in your evaluation. This is why Madcap Skills, Gift of Orzhova and to some extent Way of the Thief are "good" auras; a single well-timed attack with them has a lot of impact and they need an answer very fast. Compare that to lackluster auras like Forced Adaption; your opponent has plenty of time to draw an answer before the enchanted creature becomes half as dangerous as if it had been a Madcap Skills.

I agree.

Really, really good!

Really?  The fact that half the time (at least) you're going to be on the business end of a 2-for-1 is not a valid point?  Good to know.

Even more hilarious is that Lobster immediately made the exact same point and you went on to contradict yourself by saying "I agree."

Keep up the good work!

I'd grab the Madcap skills.

Either that or the Orzhova.

I'd keep the fact that a smite exists in mind.

Really, really good!

Really?  The fact that half the time (at least) you're going to be on the business end of a 2-for-1 is not a valid point?  Good to know.

Even more hilarious is that Lobster immediately made the exact same point and you went on to contradict yourself by saying "I agree."

Keep up the good work!

I think you need to reread what he wrote. He said that the fact that you CAN destroy the creature with removal means the card isn't broken. The fact that the interactions between auras and removal and the power level of auras has balance. THAT is what I agree with...not what you said.

But don't take it so personal...we are allowed to disagree on here, believe it or not, I might know a little bit about Magic as well. ;  )
I think you are mis-understanding what I originally said, and that's fine.

The card is okay.  If I open it in a sealed pool where it makes sense to play Boros or Gruul, I will generally play it.  I definitely played it in my 4-0 pool during online pre-release.  Sometimes it's real good.

My issue with it, is that people want to jump on it P1P1 in draft, which I think is generally incorrect. 

"Dies to Removal" may be a strawman argument when we are talking about a creature.  In that case you're still going 1-for-1.  But when you get the enchantment (and if the removal is instant speed, then the aura did literally nothing) AND the creature, and occasionally even MULTIPLE auras, then we're talkin trouble.

Card is okay, high variance, can lead to some quick wins, but in my experience, I've seen people lose w/ this card more than win with it.

Problem is, we're more likely to remember the times we won with it. 
I don't know. I feel like when my Spire Tracer gets in for 8 damage by turn three that's pretty good. It wont reasonably be removed before that. [c]mugging isn't that pervasive, and if they have their mugging well than great. But if they don't they will most-likely lose the game...
I don't know. I feel like when my Spire Tracer gets in for 8 damage by turn three that's pretty good. It wont reasonably be removed before that. [c]mugging isn't that pervasive, and if they have their mugging well than great. But if they don't they will most-likely lose the game...

To me, this falls under the "high variance" category.  Maybe it's nice when it happens, but this is certainly not the average case.

Mugging is just one example.   There is a ton of efficient removal in this set that will do the job.

To me, this falls under the "high variance" category.  Maybe it's nice when it happens, but this is certainly not the average case.

Mugging is just one example.   There is a ton of efficient removal in this set that will do the job.

It cuts both ways, if you use your removal early on my one drop than you'll be in a tough spot when my bombs drop. Skills does many things and it's a really good card. P1P1 if there isn't a bomb or great removal.
I've never lost to Mad Cap Skills, and never won with it either. I think IYankem's absolutely right. If there's not a p1p1 bomb, you should draft removal... smite is some of the best the set has to offer.

Skills might be a higher pick, like maybe a pick 3 or 4 in a mediocre pack, but it's nowhere near as good as universal removal simply because it's an aura and won't get in for oodles of damage as often as some seem to think it will.

I've never lost to Mad Cap Skills, and never won with it either. I think IYankem's absolutely right. If there's not a p1p1 bomb, you should draft removal... smite is some of the best the set has to offer.

Skills might be a higher pick, like maybe a pick 3 or 4 in a mediocre pack, but it's nowhere near as good as universal removal simply because it's an aura and won't get in for oodles of damage as often as some seem to think it will.

Isn't that what I said?

I said draft bombs, removal, and if none are present Madcap skills can be picked.

Isn't that what I said?

I said draft bombs, removal, and if none are present Madcap skills can be picked.

But there is a Smite in this pack and you are advocating for the Skills over it.

Isn't that what I said?

But there is a Smite in this pack and you are advocating for the Skills over it.

I prefer Skills as a matter of play style. Picking smite is fine, but you must block a creature to use it, not as strong as grisly spectacle which i would often take over madcap even.

Forget to switch accounts?

Isn't that what I said?

I prefer Skills as a matter of play style. Picking smite is fine, but you must block a creature to use it, not as strong as grisly spectacle which i would often take over madcap even.

owner of cats trying to be funny?  That will be reported my friend!

Isn't that what I said?

Not very convincing. 
How convenient...he deletes it?

How can I report on a post that's been deleted by the creator?

Isn't that what I said?

Not very convincing. 

Not trying to be convincing. I could really care less if you believe these trolls or me.

So, with all of these forum arguments the common denominator is Urzasapprentice. Hmm. 

Isn't that what I said?

I generally don't read your posts beyond the initial one. You've been way too volatile lately. But you are advocating for the skills, so to answer your question: no.

So, with all of these forum arguments the common denominator is Urzasapprentice. Hmm. 

How convenient that you show up at this very minuteUndecided. Well played.

Isn't that what I said?

I generally don't read your posts beyond the initial one. You've been way too volatile lately. But you are advocating for the skills, so to answer your question: no.

So if you don't read what I write...then there is no reason to respond to it (with only 1/10 of the information).

So, in this post you pick madcap skills. I don't see anything about smite. 

I don't see how he is responding to false information seeing that you're the one who contradicted yourself.  

Isn't that what I said?

So if you don't read what I write...then there is no reason to respond to it (with only 1/10 of the information).

As a courtesy I try to respond to those who quote me. 

As for "not reading your posts," I think you can look at the last page and see you've generated a lot of non-magic related noise that, if you thought about it, you'd realize no one wants to read. And my initial post didn't even call you out--I was just tossing in my two cents and you responded as if I was trying to start an argument or something.

I do think that UA is being internally inconsistent in not acknowledging the power of Smite early on but insist on taking removal over Skills. That said, it's no big deal. All I want is his opinion, short and sweet, on which card he would take now that we've pointed it out to him and why he would make the choice (ie., what is the justification for Skills here, if that is your pick?).

So, in this post you pick madcap skills. I don't see anything about smite. 

I don't see how he is responding to false information seeing that you're the one who contradicted yourself.  

Some removal is rated higher than others. Surely you don't think all removal is P1P1 do you?

So try not to hold me to a standard higher than you hold yourself.

Bomb, unconditional removal (at the right price), good card

Do you pick that 6-drop unconditional removal spell pack one pick one? I don't think I ever would. I don't mind smite, but taking the skills is fine. Having to block takes away many of the situations. Certainly it's good, but not so much so that we can't take other really good cards in its place.
You know, you could give explainations without attacking people. I didn't give my opinion on this, I was just pointing out that you contradicted yourself. Nobody is trying to dagger you but when you attack everybody people are going to defend themselves.