What's winning me 1st place tomorrow at FNM

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jund Control. This deck is good. Played it on cockatrice and it has been dominating all other decks easily, amongst those decks were R/B aggro, UWx Midrange, Homebrews, Mill, a couple Mirror Matches but the deck list was different from mine but close enough to call it a mirror match. Here's the deck list.

Land

4x Blood Crypt
4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Woodland Cemetary
4x Rootbound Crag
3x Dragonskull Summit
2x Kessig Wolf Run
2x Cavern of Souls
2x Stomping Ground

Main

4x Huntmaster of the Fells
4x Thragtusk
3x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Olivia Voldaren
4x Farseek
2x Dreadbore
2x Searing Spear
2x Bonfire of the Damned
2x Rakdos's Return
2x Ultimate Price
1x Mizzium Mortars
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter
2x Liliana of the Veil
1x Rakdos Keyrune

Side

1x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Pillar of Flame
1x Liliana of the Veil
1x Rolling Temblor
2x Duress
1x Staff of Nin
3x Deathrite Shaman
1x Grafdigger's Cage
3x Slaughter Games

What really pushes this deck to the top is the lifegain. 3 of the 4 creatures I main gain me life. There is early removal, hand discruption, control, card draw, and land ramp. Very consistant deck and I have not yet found a deck that has won a 2 out of 3 against me using this build. I am a newer jund player so any ideas you would have to better this build please let me know so I can make the proper adjustments before tomorrow. Thanks guys!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Just going to throw it out there that cockatrice is not a viable measuring stick for a deck's success. That being said, deck looks solid. Jund is jund, value value value
Really?

If I'm being honest, i read the description and got hyped for the deck, then read it, and was rather disappointed =/

I'll run through what i can see, and what i would change (Bear in mind, what I, as in ME, would change). I'm not saying it MUST be changed. People seem to get so touchy at opinions these days xD

Firstly, you have 1 Mortars, 1 Abrupt Decay, 1 Staff of Nin, 1 Rakdos Keyrune. Thats alot of One-Of's to be having. I'd personally just go for 4 Mortars. They get more done. 

There is Black Red here right? find room for Dreadbore. Its disgusting. And fun. And disgusting. You get it.

Liliana AND Garruk? Garruk is more Agro, giving you creatures and the such. I'm finding that Lilly is more of a control card, which in this build, isn't really needed. Possibly Garruk Relentless? Or the Lilly of the Dark Realms?

I'm really not liking Olivia. Deck wise you could probably do better (That and i just generally dislike the card). Wouldn't you want some other kind of end game? Wolfir Silverheart is a good card to drop later on, and not only is he pretty cheap, but he becomes nice when bonding with Mr Thraggy. 

Also, Farseek seems a bit dead here. This isn't much of a ramp deck, so i'm not sure if it should be here. You're most expensive creature is 5. If it were 7-8 then sure, Mana ramp is awesome, but for the creature base you have, i feel this spot could be freed up for something more productable (Pree sure i mentioned my brosef Dreadbore)

So it seems i've smited and cursed. So now i'll go on the plus so i don't look like a complete Bum.

Thragtusk and Huntmaster are both powerhouses, so awesome choice of creature (Though i like Restoration Angel with Thraggy better, but hey). Vampire Nighthawk is an all time fave of mine, so thumbs up there.

Your burn suite is fun. I was never a fan of Bonfire's, however each to their own. Pillars, searing spears, and Mortars are great fun, and Mortars pretty much acts as a mini Bonfire late game, depending on who you're playing.

Rakdos's Return is a scumbag card (I know this, i own a playset). Bear in mind, i never said it was a bad thing ;) The card is just wrong. So nice to see a few here. Breaks people in a big way.

Only other thing i would look at is getting some Glaring Spotlight for the SB. Geist is one of the best creatures in standard at the moment, and even Invisible Stalkers have their place. Spotlight's will give you the edge to burn these little chumps away before you start laying down some fun.

Hope some of this helped.

@Super: You seem to be off on a lot of things Jund and why certain things are good in the deck.

4 Mortars would be overkill, and most things that are worth killing have 3 toughness (Resto & Smiter being the notable exceptions)

4 Farseeks is pretty much essential in a deck like this where you have a lot of dual-color costs, double-black 3 drops and triple-green 5 drops.  It's not so much "ramp", it just puts you a turn ahead and makes sure you are able to cast all of your spells.  You're not using them to reach 7-8 mana, you're using them to cast 4 drops on turn 3 and 5 drops on turn 4.

Olivia is a house because a lot of decks right now are midrangey and she absolutely destroys creature matchups.

Garruk isn't aggro, it's inevitability and a better Harmonize when you need it.  It's pretty common to stick a thragtusk in the midgame when your hand is almost depleted, drop a Garruk and draw 5 to restock. 

@OP:  I think Pillars can just stick to the SB depending how much rakdos aggro/zombies you face.  I would honestly just stick to 4 MD spears and maybe 2 pillars SB if you feel they're necessary.

I agree with adding some number of Dreadbore to fight other garruks, jaces, etc.  And the killing creatures thing, obviously good too.

I don't really think you want to be running Barter in Blood in Jund.  It's too slow against Geist of Saint Traft, especially if you're on the draw, and it will usually hurt your board.  I think a Sever the Bloodline would be better here, or if you're dead set on having an edict effect beyond your Lilianas then Devour Flesh is probably better.
What can i say, i don't play Jund ;)

I play against Jund, and trump it most games though. Only jund deck i had issues with was more spell heavy then creatures. 

Really?

If I'm being honest, i read the description and got hyped for the deck, then read it, and was rather disappointed =/

I'll run through what i can see, and what i would change (Bear in mind, what I, as in ME, would change). I'm not saying it MUST be changed. People seem to get so touchy at opinions these days xD

Firstly, you have 1 Mortars, 1 Abrupt Decay, 1 Staff of Nin, 1 Rakdos Keyrune. Thats alot of One-Of's to be having. I'd personally just go for 4 Mortars. They get more done. 

There is Black Red here right? find room for Dreadbore. Its disgusting. And fun. And disgusting. You get it.

Liliana AND Garruk? Garruk is more Agro, giving you creatures and the such. I'm finding that Lilly is more of a control card, which in this build, isn't really needed. Possibly Garruk Relentless? Or the Lilly of the Dark Realms?

I'm really not liking Olivia. Deck wise you could probably do better (That and i just generally dislike the card). Wouldn't you want some other kind of end game? Wolfir Silverheart is a good card to drop later on, and not only is he pretty cheap, but he becomes nice when bonding with Mr Thraggy. 

Also, Farseek seems a bit dead here. This isn't much of a ramp deck, so i'm not sure if it should be here. You're most expensive creature is 5. If it were 7-8 then sure, Mana ramp is awesome, but for the creature base you have, i feel this spot could be freed up for something more productable (Pree sure i mentioned my brosef Dreadbore)

So it seems i've smited and cursed. So now i'll go on the plus so i don't look like a complete Bum.

Thragtusk and Huntmaster are both powerhouses, so awesome choice of creature (Though i like Restoration Angel with Thraggy better, but hey). Vampire Nighthawk is an all time fave of mine, so thumbs up there.

Your burn suite is fun. I was never a fan of Bonfire's, however each to their own. Pillars, searing spears, and Mortars are great fun, and Mortars pretty much acts as a mini Bonfire late game, depending on who you're playing.

Rakdos's Return is a scumbag card (I know this, i own a playset). Bear in mind, i never said it was a bad thing ;) The card is just wrong. So nice to see a few here. Breaks people in a big way.

Only other thing i would look at is getting some Glaring Spotlight for the SB. Geist is one of the best creatures in standard at the moment, and even Invisible Stalkers have their place. Spotlight's will give you the edge to burn these little chumps away before you start laying down some fun.

Hope some of this helped.

tl;dr

you can effectively ignore this.  he clearly hasn't played jund 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

And clearly if you payed more attention, I already admitted i haven't played jund. Observation goes a long way =]

And clearly if you payed more attention, I already admitted i haven't played jund. Observation goes a long way =]

tl;dr

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

You're going 74/75 of Postlethwait and you switched a Swamp for a Mountain.

Nice tech.. 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.

Nice tech.. 

Heh, nice catch.  Granted, he didn't really take credit for making the deck...just asked for improvements.  And to anyone who has played with or against Jund (or just follows Standard at all) I would imagine this decklist looked fairly obviously stock anyway

Nice tech.. 

Heh, nice catch.  Granted, he didn't really take credit for making the deck...just asked for improvements.  And to anyone who has played with or against Jund (or just follows Standard at all) I would imagine this decklist looked fairly obviously stock anyway

I didn't mean the deck.  Just the change of the mana base.  It's just...odd.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.

Nice tech.. 

I didn't mean the deck.  Just the change of the mana base.  It's just...odd.

Well I looked at the mana base of the list I was referencing from, and I chose a mountain over a swamp which was listed in the original decklist because there was no 1 drop black spell, when on the other hand pillar of flame which was main board was a 1cmc spell which is obviously red, so i swapped the swamp for mountain to accomodate the pillar. and to others no this is not my original build.. I said this is what is taking to my FNM and hopefully winning. I like the dreadbore idea, i would probably drop 2 pillar main board and swap with 2 dreadbore, keep spear at 2 and only 2 pillaw in SB. Sorry if this list rubbed people the wrong way due the misconception of its origniality. I like the list, Posted it here to gain insight on possible replacements. Didn't mean to cause such an uproar.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
just based on re-reading some comments in this thread....

this deck is basically a non-blue control deck.  it's midrange, but it will be the control deck in several matchups.

that's all i guess i want to say.

well, also, i like ground seal more than the fragile deathrite shaman.  shaman is often slow and awkward when you want straightforward graveyard hate.

you don't need basic mountains in the deck.  i can tell you this for experience.  the forest and mountains are more important for your double/triple color costs.  red is always easy to hit.  furthermore, the deck should add stomping ground, but not all 4.  just 1 or 2 to help turn on the m10/inn duals.       

Photobucket

just based on re-reading some comments in this thread....

this deck is basically a non-blue control deck.  it's midrange, but it will be the control deck in several matchups.

that's all i guess i want to say.

well, also, i like ground seal more than the fragile deathrite shaman.  shaman is often slow and awkward when you want straightforward graveyard hate.

you don't need basic mountains in the deck.  i can tell you this for experience.  the forest and mountains are more important for your double/triple color costs.  red is always easy to hit.  furthermore, the deck should add stomping ground, but not all 4.  just 1 or 2 to help turn on the m10/inn duals.       

I agree with it being more midrange than control, I felt that way too. When basing it off the list I was looking at it was called control, but I questioned it too. I also agree on the basic land removal for stomping grounds. thanks for the advice! going to update the list now. let me know if it looks good or not.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Updated. -2 Pillar +2 Dreadbore. -1 Staff of nin +1 Abrupt Decay, SB -1 barter in blood +1 staff of nin.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I wish I had the cards to play Jund . It's just so good right now.
Show
http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?ForumReferrerID=99147 MTGFanatic, best site to buy cards.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.

I don't really think you want to be running Barter in Blood in Jund.  It's too slow against Geist of Saint Traft, especially if you're on the draw, and it will usually hurt your board.  I think a Sever the Bloodline would be better here, or if you're dead set on having an edict effect beyond your Lilianas then Devour Flesh is probably better.

Sever the Bloodline targets, so in the case of GoST/Bant Auras matchups, Barter would actually be better.  Agreed that Devour Flesh generally out does them both.  
Sever the Bloodline targets, so in the case of GoST/Bant Auras matchups, Barter would actually be better.  Agreed that Devour Flesh generally out does them both.  

I play Bant aura, and I can confirm that Devour Flesh and Barter in Blood are both risks, but they are each have weaknesses. Devour Flesh doesn't work if I have an Avacyn's Pilgrim out and newer builds also add one or two Arbor Elf, for 5-6 mana dorks. Barter in Blood often comes too late, but is potentially more devastating, but also affects your board state. But neither strategy is perfect: part of piloting Bant aura correctly is determining what to hold back in the hand in terms of hexproof creatures and enchantments. This is why you often see a second Geist of Saint Traft come out should the first one be destroyed.

Also, if you play against Bant aura and see an Avacyn's Pilgrim and wonder if you should take it out, the answer is often "yes."

There are weapons against Bant aura and probably cannot yet be classified as Tier 1 deck, as it can be inconstent. But none of the responses are perfect, not even Glaring Spotlight, which is probably the anti-G.o.S.T. technology I worry the least about.