Unwinding Clock + Howling Mine

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello guys,
I was looking for a 'tap to kill' deck and found one interesting artifact deck.

The author says:
The idea of the deck is to take tapping and tapping effects to the maximum. All of the cards with the tap symbol are self explanatory. Ones that are unique are Howling Mine and Blinkmoth Urn . When I tap these artifacts (I'll explain why and how in a sec) I turn off their effects to other players so they only benefit me. Lodestone Myr and Clock of Omens are the main ways to tap artifacts at will

Then, a user that was also checking this decks replies:
Howling Mine + Unwinding Clock doesn't seem all that good.

Finally, the author answers:
Well you're forgetting that I have ways to tap out the Howling Mine after it would untap (Clock of Omens and Lodestone Myr)

My question is: Is that possible? I mean, tapping Howling Mine before the beggining of an opponent's draw step so he/she doesn't benefit from it?

Sry for the long post, but I wanted to make the main idea clear. 
Is that possible? I mean, tapping Howling Mine before the beggining of an opponent's draw step so he/she doesn't benefit from it?

Yes, you get a chance to play things in the upkeep step, and if you tap howling mine, howling mine won't trigger.

Also an option is to let howling mine trigger and then tap it in response. Howling mine's intervening 'if' clause (the "If howling mine is untapped") gets rechecked when the ability resolves, and if that condition is now false, the ability has no effect.
Yes.
The howling mine doesn't trigger until the draw step, players get priority during the upkeep, so you are free to tap it before the draw step starts.
MTG Rules Advisor
Thanks guys, I totally forgot the unkeep step...!