Card of the Week 6: 2/12/13 - 2/18/13

38 posts / 0 new
Last post

Card of the Week

2/12/13 - 2/18/13

Welcome to Card of the Week! This is an on-running contest of sorts where great cards are given the celebration they deserve, the praise for what perhaps went unnoticed.

Late again! Vacations do that. Things should be a bit more on point for the next few weeks. Last week's winners were zammm and Detektor with a pair of fun submissions:

Holding Cell - 
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield when a player casts a spell named Holding Cell.
Azorius prisons are notoriously overcrowded.

Judge of Armaments 
Creature - Human Judge
Having a +1/+1 counter put on you is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain it.
1/3

Previous Winners
1/1/13 - 1/7/13 theAtog

Body Sinker 
Creature - Merfolk Assassin
Islandwalk
If a creature an opponent creature would die, you may have it becomes an island instead. (It's no longer a creature.)
4/1
-----
1/8/13 - 1/14/13 ImidazolineSilly_Dragons

Polarize |
Enchantment
Creatures you control are white and get +1/+1.
Creatures opponents control are black and red.
Born on the same street. Buried in plot miles apart.

Serra's Lament
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then planeswalk. Instead of returning the current plane to a planar deck, remove it from the game.
Only in memory is her world forever pure.
-----
1/15/13 - 1/21/13 Hairless Thoctar

Cage Fighter

Creature-Ogre Berserker
Creatures your opponents control have ": Fight Cage Fighter" 
6/5
-----
1/22/13 - 1/28/13 Mown

Order of the Pale Road 
Creature - Human Monk
If a permanent would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
The lessons in life shapes you, like bricks in a wall. It is only when complete, that you find it does naught but prevent your return.
2/2
-----
1/29/13 - 2/4/13 zammm; Detektor

Holding Cell - 
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield when a player casts a spell named Holding Cell.
Azorius prisons are notoriously overcrowded.

Judge of Armaments 
Creature - Human Judge
Having a +1/+1 counter put on you is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain it.
1/3

Nomination Rules:
Anyone may nominate a card from any thread in YMTC as long as it was posted between 12:00 AM of the starting date and 11:59 PM of the ending date of that week's thread, Pacific Standard Time (that's what I live by, and I'm not fancy enough to use UT1). 
All nominations require the following:

1. The full card posted into this thread.
2. A link to the post/thread where the card originated.
3. The name of the card's creator.

You may nominate up to two cards a week.
You can't nominate your own designs.
All designs nominated will be put into a poll in the next week's thread. The design with the most votes is declared Card of the Week!

Voting Rules:
You may vote for any number of entries. Remember, every vote you cast matters, so try to vote only for the cards you really think deserve to win.
You may vote for yourself.
All cards carrying the most votes when the poll closes are elected as the winner for that week.
All winners and winning cards will be collected in the sblock above.

Nominations for 1/29/13 - 2/4/13
Nomination thread

Ouroboros Demon --
Creature - Demon Beast
Flying, trample
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player may return a creature card from his or her graveyard to the battlefield.
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player sacrifices a creature.
Beginning and End. Two words for the same thing.
5/5

by SilentTwin
-----
Horrific Yet Cleansing Experience 
Sorcery
Name a card type. Target player sacrifices a card of the named type unless they discard a card of the named type.

by HairlessDud
-----
Curious Command

Sorcery

Choose two – Draw a card; or draw two cards, then discard a card at random; or draw three cards, then discard three cards; or you may discard all the cards in your hand, then draw that many cards. (Perform the actions in the order they are written.)

If the Izzet are good at one thing, it's overcomplication.

by chin[/m]keeyon />----- />

on>Aahon he nkeeon> />[m]
Planeswalker -- Arathon
[0]: Proliferate.
[0]: Put a 0/0 Construct artifact creature token onto the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
[0]: Remove any number of counters from target permanent you control. Draw that many cards.

by Libe
-----
Irrigated Field
Land - Plains
After your third turn of the game, Irrigated Field is an Island.
For eight thousand years, the Iteru had always flooded its banks just in time for the famers to plant flax. Was the river spirit offering a gesture of constancy in a world torn apart by war? Or was she the one seeking reassurance?

by Detektor
-----
Fallowed Footsteps 
Enchantment - Aura

Enchant creature card in a graveyard
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a token that's a copy of enchanted card onto the battlefield.
AEther can turn a gravesite into a rave site.

by ChaosLight
-----
Mighty Legs of Yore 
Enchantment
Trample is "(This creature assigns its combat damage as if it weren't blocked)."

"Saproling? Why that is but a normal and tiny tree my friend."
- Optolob, Illusionisto

by Nephrolith

Nomations for this week and votes for last week end Tuesday the 18th, close to its end. 
detek probalby got this. But i voted for you libe XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I voted for me and neph :D
Wait, I was nominated?

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

And I nominated both the winners!
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
Neph and CKY, 'cause I love me an innovative modal.
Wait, I was nominated?

>shrug

You might say your design charmed me. ;D

Wait, that's stupid, they're commands.
Fo' real? That's shugga sweet yo. Puttin' me up with the big league makers, the designers of renounced deity-hood. Let them verbalize the objectives with clarity and subjugatshuned by the outsiders from within. Tell them to begin at first with chagrin. Chagrin fo' lyfe - my cronies and homies. I ain't admittin' nothin' until I get out, but I don't want to sway the winds for the rulers, and rollers, and trollers, and tricksters. But, let me spell Impressed with erry design. My soft spots align with this plebiscite grind. Hustlas toast to that. Now.
Week's almost over and no nominations! Guess I'll have to hunt them all down myself.
This one!

Detektor's contest.

Ma'ruf the Cobbler

Legendary Creature-Human
You may play lands from outside the game. (They still count towards your land per turn limit.) 
Wish, above all else, for the worlds that lie beyond. Weep, above all else, for the burdens which you bring.
2/1

And this one!

Timidity |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block alone.
"Two's company, one's a coward."

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Makeshift Raft
Artifact

Vanishing 3
Non-blue creatures without flying you control can't attack.
Non-blue creatures without flying can't attack you.

I'll nominate this one from the most recent round of the game I'm attempting to run (Ignition). Hopefully there's not a rule against judges nominating cards from their own games/contests.

Back to grading cards I shall be.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I need to start remembering to nominate stuff for this.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Consumed Geist -
Creature — Spirit
When enters the battlefield, exile an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard at random.
You can't cast spells from your hand except as copies of the exiled card. (You pay the exiled card's mana cost.)
Whether wracked with rage or grief, a geist is human obsession without the distractions of sleep, hunger, or morality.

3/2

Because I think it's the best take on shifting Innistrad's Spirits from W/U to U/R. 
Hey, I should get in every week with a silly card. Someone inspire me...
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
This one!

Detektor's contest.

Ma'ruf the Cobbler

Legendary Creature-Human
You may play lands from outside the game. (They still count towards your land per turn limit.) 
Wish, above all else, for the worlds that lie beyond. Weep, above all else, for the burdens which you bring.
2/1

I question its brokeness....

It's (tutored) card advantage starting 1 card per turn. and there are plenty viable all land decks...

Say first turn mana-elf. Second turn this. Second to fifth turn strip mine sixth to ninth turn wasteland... hm.... all the meanwhile you have 2 mana to spend every turn?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I question its brokeness....

It's card advantage starting 1 card per turn. and there are plenty viable all land decks...

Say first turn mana-elf. Second turn this. Second to fifth turn strip mine sixth to ninth turn wasteland... hm.... all the meanwhile you have 2 mana to spend every turn?

Assuming you're playing Vintage construction, Strip Mine is restricted (includes sidebaord), and Wasteland only hits non-basics.  At worst, this gets restricted in Vintage/banned in Legacy.  Aside from that, it's not broken at all.
Multiplicatyal 
Creature - Devil
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a copy of Multiplicatyal onto the battlefield under each opponent's control.

"Has the Lord of the Underworld moved beyond mere arithmetic?"
- Fourteenth Question of the Servilicies

1/1

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758..." title="community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...">From this thread

I think you guys forgot to nominate me

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

A free sylvan scrying each turn at 2 mana is not broken? you Are getting free card tho?

Even bob only gives you random card (as opposed to targetted card) and makes you lose life. 

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I think you guys forgot to nominate me

Fool, I've never been nominated. Quit'cher bitchin'.
A free sylvan scrying each turn at 2 mana is not broken? you Are getting free card tho?

Even bob only gives you random card (as opposed to targetted card) and makes you lose life. 

Sylvan Scrying and Dark Confidant also thin your deck.  Plus, whatever card you're looking for is already in your deck.  Sideboard space is precious, and unless there are a lot of meta-game tech lands I can't think of, you're probably going to want to play them in your deck rather than take up space in your sideboard.  I think this is a casual Johnny card, not a tournament one.
I disagree and think this card is very comparable to Dark Confidant. But I think it lives at acceptible levels. It's a great little guy and I was gonna nominate it myself. It's VERY powerful in my opinion.

Sylvan Scrying and Dark Confidant also thin your deck.  Plus, whatever card you're looking for is already in your deck.  Sideboard space is precious, and unless there are a lot of meta-game tech lands I can't think of, you're probably going to want to play them in your deck rather than take up space in your sideboard.  I think this is a casual Johnny card, not a tournament one.

1) Deck thinning is overrated

2) Sideboard space is more precious if they contribute to the game starting Game 1. Plenty competitve wish decks dedicate ALL 15 slots for their wish targets.

3) Since this guy only needs you to hit 2 land drops, you can effectively lower your Land count and run freaking basic forest in your SB and would still arrive at the same deck-thinning effect, which is drawing less land and more relevant cards and which, btw, is what bob doesn't do at all. Card advantage and deck thinning are different creatures.

I think I'm roughly where Rush think this is but I'm not confortable for cards that actually go for Bob-level. It's not unprintable. But definitely wont have my vote here.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
oh and btw, tron deck is a thing. and to a lesser degree, loci decks in pauper. This card grants consistency to those deck in a way probably more so than preordain to variety of combo decks

.... and preordain is banned in some format.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
atog, you've definitely got some valid points, though I disagree somewhat with #3 - not that it's not valid, but unless yoiu have a way to protect him, running less land to run this guy seems inordinately risky, as you then a) need to mulligan more aggressively to make sure you can play this guy on time ( after all), and if for any reason you can't play this guy on time, or he were to get Priced or Pillared, then you are seriously in danger of missing a lot of land drops.

I think I live somewhere between Rush and Rumor on this one - I think it is very powerful, approaching Bob levels for sure, but the mana cost and the fact that it would impact eternal formats probably more than Standard / Modern means I'm really comfortable with where this sits.

Cats_and_me:

Infernal Unicorn -
Creature - Unicorn
Infernal Unicorn enters play tapped.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose two life and put a token into play that's a copy of Infernal Unicorn.
"Unicorns, unicorns, unicorns, unicorns - happy, happy, happy death!"
2/2

Threadz.

And heyo to the man, Rushian. Glad you been into that business, joka. Hold on tight, slugs. We ready to break even with these trippers.

and. . . this biscuit:

Æther Strings |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You may activate enchanted creature's activated abilities.
"What's wrong Tim? Why are you pointing me with th--"
— Last words of Zeon, Director of the Institute of Arcane Study

That's Arazlam, and it came outta nowhere.
I nominate Island by Shazzeh.

As this is a design contest and not an art concept contest, I'm gonna have to disallow that nomination. That said...

As this is a design contest and not an art concept contest, I'm gonna have to disallow that nomination. That said...

and there goes this contest's integrity.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
I was laughing with my mouth full during dinner 

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Same applies to Phyrexian Arena, and it costs one mana more. (The life loss is more consistent, though.)

Seriously, tutoring every turn is dangerous.

"No deck thinning" isn't that much of a downside, by the way. To use an example from the world of various looting effects, if I could shuffle my library after Brainstorm, it would be seriously OP. The only thing that makes it less OP is that my next two cards are the rejects from the Brainstorm.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
It is only now occuring to me how strongly the Blue Man Group resemble Vedalken.
120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Stellar Impact
Sorcery R
Arrange all creatures on the battlefield into a circle in any order, then choose one of those creatures at random. Destroy that creature and the two creatures adjacent to it in the circle.
On Ugoya, the word "starstruck" means something completely different.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Hey Nephrolith, you nominated the wrong unicorn! ô.Ô How am I supposed to win this contest without the votes of Pablo's 27 accounts?
vote with your name not a token

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]