Goblins are back

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just a Goblin deck, based heavily on Goblin decks of the previous format, and adapted to the new and the fact Goblins no longer have Grenade or Chieftan

[Creatures]:25

[Instant/Sorcery]:12
[deck]3 Searing Spear
4 Krenko's Command
3 Pillar of Glame
2 Burn at the Stake[/deck]

[Land]:23
[deck]23 Mountain[/deck]
I hate to say this, but adding duals to have access to Boros Charm would be good here.
I hate to say this, but adding duals to have access to Boros Charm anything multicolored that includes :R: would be good here.

Gotchya covered
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
You can easily replace 1-2 mountains with Hellion Crucible.

I don't really care for Legion Loyalist here.  His ability is what's useful, and none of your guys are really going to be big enough for trample & first strike to matter much.  He is a decent card but he is not a turn 1 play, and I think he better belongs (if anywhere) as something like a 2-of in a midrange SB against other midrange for an alpha push.  Raging Goblin wasn't standard playable.

I think you also have way too many 1 drops.  Goblin Arsonist seems like a weak link.  I could see cutting two and adding two more Hellrider, or at least a 1/1 Hellrider/Krenko split if you're set on the goblin theme.

+1 Searing Spear

As mentioned already, Boros Charm would be good as either an anti-wrath or as reach, depending on the situation.  The mana in standard is so good now and has so many options that it feels criminal to not splash for at least a second color.
I am soooooooooooooo happy someone else realized how great goblins can be right now. But... I'd make a few changes to your deck. At first glance I would say that [C]Hellrider[/C] is an amazing choice an to keep him for sure, but take out [C]Hellraiser Goblin[/C], I've tested with him and he's not that great. Sometimes you just REALLY wanna leave some tokens to block with and he won;t let you do that. I'm not really sure what else I would make changes to, but in the mean time take a look at my list. I've been playing with it since before gatecrash when I was still using the m13 goblins.

I started out just making a cheap casual deck that was still standard legal when ravnica came out. I had both of it's 3 drop goblins in it and a mix of goblins from m13. But recently I have found that it is much better when almost everything is a 1 drop. There are 2 win conditions in this list and they are both easy to achieve.

Wincon 1 - [C]Foundry Street Denizen[/C] and [C]Legion Loyalist[/C]
This condition is very simple, the more goblins you have come into play, the more damage it does. Not the best way to win, but if all else fails you are still giving them a good beating every turn.

Wincon 2 - [C]Krenko, Mob Boss[/C] and either [C]Dynacharge[/C] or [C]Burn At The Stake[/C]
This is the wincon your aiming to get. With this deck, you want to win on the 5th turn every time. T1 - T3 you need to be laying down every goblin you get. (That's why they all need to be the lowest drop possible.) T4 krenko and T5 tap krenko and then either dynacharge, or burn at the steak.

The big thing you will notice about this deck is that it doesn't have much protection. I just don't mind taking that risk because most of the decks at my local shop don't start rolling until T3 or 4 and by that time I'm about ready to win. The only card that I really use to protect myself is [C]Brimstone Volley[/C] which I would swap with your [C]Searing Spear[/C]. Besides that, tokens are easy to block with against most creatures and if you plan on using 4 of Krenko in a deck then it's not that big of a deal just throwing a few out every turn. [C]Goblin Arsonist[/C] is a great card for that because you can knock out most 1 or 2 drops with him.

Now I'm not saying you have to take this advice cause I understand that this deck can be kinda risky without a good sideboard to protect against boardwipes and other counters. And if that does happen to be something you are worried about then try cutting out a few goblins and splashing blue for [C]Goblin Electromancer[/C] and some counter spells. Although, all of this advice has been with me playtesting this deck for a few months now and making changes along the way so atleast give the list a try. I think you'd like it.
I would add Burn At The Stake for sure! Do you really think 4 Krenko is really necessary? I mean, it would be really annoying to play one of them and hold like another one or even more at hand. Annoying! I would play 2 or 3 copies at most, and open a slot for something else. Pillar Of Flame, Faithless Loothing, Mizzium Mortars, Devil´s play would be nice cards to consider. How about the 2 mana 3/3 goblin that can´t block or attack alone? I forgot his name, but he ain´t that bad in my opinion.

I would cut the number of Dyscharges played as well. I would play 2 of them at the main deck.
I used to play 2 krenkos, it wasnt enough, so I went up to 3, still didnt work for me, and now 4 of him  I can get him out by T4 almost every time no doubt. It really shouldn't matter if you have an extra in your hand if the deck is built around playing burn at the stake or dynacharge on turn 5.
I understand. Then Faithless Looting would be a good addition in my opinion. You can get rid of unwanted Krenkos and get new cards! And about Boros Charm, it´s a great card, but Im unsure if adding a couple dual lands just to play them would be a good idea.
Hmmm. I do like that idea, I'm gonna have to playtest with it this friday. I used to use rummaging for drawing new cards, but a 1 drop sounds much better.
Plus Flashback!
I am soooooooooooooo happy someone else realized how great goblins can be right now. But... I'd make a few changes to your deck. At first glance I would say that [C]Hellrider[/C] is an amazing choice an to keep him for sure, but take out [C]Hellraiser Goblin[/C], I've tested with him and he's not that great. Sometimes you just REALLY wanna leave some tokens to block with and he won;t let you do that. I'm not really sure what else I would make changes to, but in the mean time take a look at my list. I've been playing with it since before gatecrash when I was still using the m13 goblins.

I started out just making a cheap casual deck that was still standard legal when ravnica came out. I had both of it's 3 drop goblins in it and a mix of goblins from m13. But recently I have found that it is much better when almost everything is a 1 drop. There are 2 win conditions in this list and they are both easy to achieve.

Wincon 1 - [C]Foundry Street Denizen[/C] and [C]Legion Loyalist[/C]
This condition is very simple, the more goblins you have come into play, the more damage it does. Not the best way to win, but if all else fails you are still giving them a good beating every turn.

Wincon 2 - [C]Krenko, Mob Boss[/C] and either [C]Dynacharge[/C] or [C]Burn At The Stake[/C]
This is the wincon your aiming to get. With this deck, you want to win on the 5th turn every time. T1 - T3 you need to be laying down every goblin you get. (That's why they all need to be the lowest drop possible.) T4 krenko and T5 tap krenko and then either dynacharge, or burn at the steak.

The big thing you will notice about this deck is that it doesn't have much protection. I just don't mind taking that risk because most of the decks at my local shop don't start rolling until T3 or 4 and by that time I'm about ready to win. The only card that I really use to protect myself is [C]Brimstone Volley[/C] which I would swap with your [C]Searing Spear[/C]. Besides that, tokens are easy to block with against most creatures and if you plan on using 4 of Krenko in a deck then it's not that big of a deal just throwing a few out every turn. [C]Goblin Arsonist[/C] is a great card for that because you can knock out most 1 or 2 drops with him.

Now I'm not saying you have to take this advice cause I understand that this deck can be kinda risky without a good sideboard to protect against boardwipes and other counters. And if that does happen to be something you are worried about then try cutting out a few goblins and splashing blue for [C]Goblin Electromancer[/C] and some counter spells. Although, all of this advice has been with me playtesting this deck for a few months now and making changes along the way so atleast give the list a try. I think you'd like it.

I could definetly see brimstone in the deck. I played RDW all of last set and probably half or more of my wins were due to a morbid brimstone trigger.

I'd still want some hellriders in the deck even if they aren't goblins. They're just too good.

I'm not sure on cutting Hellraiser Goblin. It's very rare I want to hang back with a bunch of creatures, and a Krenko with haste+tons of tokens with haste could easily overrun the opponent even if they have some blockers.

I'm going to test out Dynacharge. It's a card I always wanted to use because it seems more powerful than it lets on.
My only issue with Hellraiser is that you don't have a choice in whether or not your gonna leave yourself open on their turn if you know you can't win in the turn or two.
My only issue with Hellraiser is that you don't have a choice in whether or not your gonna leave yourself open on their turn if you know you can't win in the turn or two.

I guess thats true. But if you need to go on the defensive, theres a good chance you are probably dead anyways.

Giving everyone haste just seems like a big thing to me. And the drawback seems small since red deck wants to always attack.

I guess thats true. But if you need to go on the defensive, theres a good chance you are probably dead anyways.

Giving everyone haste just seems like a big thing to me. And the drawback seems small since red deck wants to always attack.

I think people see '3 mana' and assume he must be played on T3; dropping the Hellraiser Goblin after Krenko allows you to haste all your new tokens for an alpha strike. He's a finishing move, so 2-3 of seems right.
I also had a pretty decent goblin deck.  I can't quite remember the numbers, but I remember most of the cards.
Vexing Devil
Mogg Flunkies
Krenko, Mob Boss
Goblin Arsonist
Krenko's Command
Goblin Rally
Dynacharge
Bonfire of the Damned
Chandra, the Firebrand

I know the Devils and Chandra I only had 3 of each and the bonfire I had 2 of.  Not sure of the other numbers.  I really like the idea of chandra for a couple reasons.  Her first ability is helpful to burn stuff, and also it makes her a secondary target instead of you.  Most people don't want to leave a chandra out on the board for very long.  I also like her second ability using goblin rally or dynacharge with a krenko on the field.  If you copy a goblin rally with a krenko on the field that will give u over 16 goblins in 1 turn which, to me is usually quite effective.  I think I might have had some other burn spells in there, maybe a Devil's Play or a Searing Spear.  Not quite sure though.  In any case, the devil's are quite useful as are mogg flunkies.  I would recommend at least the flunkies, if not both.  Chandra to me is more of a personal preference.  If your a turn 5 game over kinda guy I'm not sure I would add her in there.  She could be a useful finisher, but probably not very often.  
legionist needs something like dynacharge, the boros guildmage, or the like
I like the list a good bit. I will post my goblin list before long here. I am running Massive raid as a Kill opt as well. a goblin deck makes this easy as heck with Krenko. 

I would run Fervor before hellraiser. I run three of Krenko and always get him as well. I also run 2 Reforge The soul to get some extra cards. I don't know about you, but I can go through my hand fast.
"I don't do tactics. I don't do guard duty. I do damage. Take it or leave it." "Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead" -Jaya Ballard, task mage "The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ." Keldon soldier "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."
It's not a goblin but, Hellrider?

EDIT: Just realized you were already running them. lolwoops 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
Been working on my own Goblins deck for a while here. Having trouble deciding between Skinbrand Goblin and Mogg Flunkies in that 2-drop slot alongside Krenko's Command. I think I'll go with newer guy for a bit here just to get some testing in with him, but I dunno how often the Bloodrush will be relevant. Mogg Flunkies is an awkward, sometimes slow card, though, and so I wouldn't mind replacing him.

Personally, I think Hellraiser Goblin is a must here and way better than Fervor. Essentially, you drop him down second main phase turn 3 only if you have the Krenko, Mob Boss in hand to follow up with. Then you drop him down and make tokens before combat, at which point you swing with a large army that's only going to get larger.

I think the deck really needs to go all-in on the Goblins plan to have a shot, with the exception of Hellrider. In my opinion, running cards like Ash Zealot dilutes end game plan too much, and you end up just playing a worse version of RDW.

Massive Raid vs. Brimstone Volley is another tough choice. I think Massive Raid really has a shot to be good here. Although I think if you're choosing to run Hellraiser Goblin, then Brimstone Volley is the better choice. But if not, then you may as well go with Massive Raid. (Also, Dynacharge really shines with Hellraiser Goblin, because your opponent will never then be able to tell when you're bluffing it and when you're not, and for your sake hopefully you're not.))
Possible revised list?

[Creatures:23]

[Instant/Sorcery:14]
[deck]3 Dynacharge
4 Massive Raid
4 Krenko's Command
3 Burn at the Stake [/deck]

[Land]:23
[deck]21 Mointain
2 Hellion Crucible[/deck]

I'm not really sold on Skinbrand. It's basically a 2/1 for 2 90% of the time. The bloodrush very rarely comes into effect and as a bloodrush creature it's pretty mediocre. At the same time, Mogg Flunkies can be problematic if I ever need to block. So It's really "do I want a 3/3 that often can't block or a 2/1 that can". I'm leaning toward flunkies because, with loyalist, they're 3/3 first strike trampelers.

Not sure on the mana base, either.
Your mana base is okay, Most low curve decks can go down to 22 lands and still be fine. Especially if it's just one color. I'm gonna go ahead and play Hellriders in my deck tonight because that just seems like an amazing idea after seeing your list. I would also drop 2 massive raids for reforge the soul. I can see where that card needs to be in this deck. I run out of cards in my hand all the time after 5th turn.
What messes up goblin decks (tocken decks in general) like this is the defender that can block multiple creatures and gets +1/+1 per creature it blocks

Guardian of the Gateless; but this is a red deck, so a single Searing Spear takes care of it. Not to mention it's a five-drop, so you'll have tons of pressure on by then and that Spear may be enough to win the game outright.
Guardian of the Gateless; but this is a red deck, so a single Searing Spear takes care of it. Not to mention it's a five-drop, so you'll have tons of pressure on by then and that Spear may be enough to win the game outright.

Also the deck has the alternate win of Burn at the stake or even Massive Raid which bypasses Guardian.

And few people run Guardian.

This is my current deck list for my Goblins. It went 3-1 last FNM and should have went 4-0 but made a newb mistake and didn't see the entire board and all my options till after the mistake. 

I tapped Krenko instead of attacking with him to push over that last bit of dam to win.  
"I don't do tactics. I don't do guard duty. I do damage. Take it or leave it." "Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead" -Jaya Ballard, task mage "The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ." Keldon soldier "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."
I'm playing Gruul goblins at the moment, myself, though obviously, the creature base is entirely :R:.

You may wish to consider Gruul Charm over Dynacharge (or in addition to), because it's Unblockable clause can be the edge you need to get through opposing token generating decks and Defender creatures.

I'd definately consider Clan Defiance, or any form of Flying deterrent, as you're going to run into problems with anything from Vampire Nighthawk to Lingering Souls.

Burn at the Stake, in my experience, should be a 1-2 of maindeck at most, if not outright for the sideboard against slower decks.

Someone has to say it, so - don't use Hellrider.

You'll note he's a Devil, and not a Goblin Cool.
-.- hellrider is an auto include in any red based aggro deck imo. His trigger is just too good not to pass up when you have so many creatures attacking each turn.
Hellrider may not be goblin, but he fits perfectly into the slot. It is on theme as well. Goblins are played really as one thing, Agro...Rather it be Token-Agro, Burn/control Agro it is still agro. 

Right now, not many creatures do agro better than Hellrider.  
I'm playing Gruul goblins at the moment, myself, though obviously, the creature base is entirely :R:.

You may wish to consider Gruul Charm over Dynacharge (or in addition to), because it's Unblockable clause can be the edge you need to get through opposing token generating decks and Defender creatures.

I'd definately consider Clan Defiance, or any form of Flying deterrent, as you're going to run into problems with anything from Vampire Nighthawk to Lingering Souls.

Burn at the Stake, in my experience, should be a 1-2 of maindeck at most, if not outright for the sideboard against slower decks.

Someone has to say it, so - don't use Hellrider.

You'll note he's a Devil, and not a Goblin .

Burn at the stake is the decks main win con so removing it would probably be a bad idea.

The deck does well for itself, really. The only problem I came across was a turn 1 Illness in the ranks

Went 3-1 when I used the deck. Losing to a very low CMC B/U control deck.

Edit: I'd also like to work Five-alarm fire in here some how.
Five-Alarm Fire is an amazing card in a deck like this really. It wins me games when I technically shouldn't be able to win them. Because they only have to do Cambat Damage in general not to a player, which is amazing. 

I really like the Dynacharge, specially since I usually already have a legion loyalist out. I can win turn four so many different ways with mine, if not turn 5.  I wont lie, Illness sucks balls. 

Dynacharge wins me so many match-ups. Here is an example I had just the other night.

T 1: play land drop Foundry Street Denizen they drop land and pass.

T 2: Play Krenko's Command, swing in with turn 1 drop for 3, pass turn. he plays land and some two drop 1/1 cant rememeber what it was

Turn 3: Play land and drop two Legion and swing for 7, he takes, he drops land and plays some 2/2 with an alright effect. He is playing Modern and can't recall the name  of the card. 

Turn 4: Miss my land drop but overload Dynacharge and swung for the win.

You may say this is a Just a darn good hand and draw, but I get hands like this all the time. I hope Dragon's Maze offers some more goblin fun!
@Dark Colossus:

Do you have a recommended sideboard for your Goblin deck? 
just a typicle sideboard. I have stuff in there for lifegain, graveyard match-ups and the like. I would have to get my deck out to give you the exact list. I can tell you some cards.

Skullcrack
Grafdigger's cage
I also run some Flames of the Firebrand for mana dorks and the lingering souls. I will post my complete list in a bit.
I really appreciate it.