New to D and D

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

I have a group of friends that want to start playing Dungeons and Dragons.  All of us have experience with some form of role-playing and gaming in general, but limited D and D experience.  We also have some 4e books like PHB and DMG as well as the Red Box.  I noticed that there is a sample adventure in the back of the DMG that provides some background that could be expounded upon, but since none of us are experienced DMing is a problem.  Does anyone have advice about how to start?  Is there a sequence to premade adventures?  What is a good way to learn the rules?  Any advice of this nature would be appreciated.

Here's a freebie adventure for 1st-level characters, Keep on the Shadowfell. It's a bit rough, and folks complain about it, but...it's free.

As for learning the rules - playing is the best way. Have everyone read through the Player's Handbook (not necessarily reading through every race, and certainly not reading through the class powers). Someone in your group is gonna have to be the Dungeon Master, so they had better read through the Dungeon Master's Guide (obviously not all of it, but it's all good stuff). Then the DM should read through the adventures he/she is gonna run, while everyone else makes up a character.

Physically...well, the books will tell you the tools you'll want to play the game. A grid of some kind, tokens for each character, monster tokens, dice, character sheets, pencils, Cheetos, Mountain Dew...
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.

I have a group of friends that want to start playing Dungeons and Dragons.  All of us have experience with some form of role-playing and gaming in general, but limited D and D experience.  We also have some 4e books like PHB and DMG as well as the Red Box.  I noticed that there is a sample adventure in the back of the DMG that provides some background that could be expounded upon, but since none of us are experienced DMing is a problem.  Does anyone have advice about how to start?  Is there a sequence to premade adventures?  What is a good way to learn the rules?  Any advice of this nature would be appreciated.

Probably the best way to pick up the game is to play with a mix of experienced and other new players in a friendly, open environment.  ;)  D&D Encounters is a public play program that does just that.  

There is a sort of de-facto series of pre-made adventures.  It starts with the adventure in the Red Box and continues with adventures in the DM Kit and Monster Vault, covering through about 4th level.  Since you already have the DMG, the DM Kit may be a tad redundant, but the Monster Vault is an excellent product.

You can also get the first 4e adventure series:  Keep on the Shadowfell, Thunderspire Labyrinth, and Pyramid of Shadows.  But, they're really kind of rough, especially KotS.  

For combat encounters, the guidelines in the DMG are very good, and you could get started just by coming up with an encounter and running through it, until you're all comfortable with that aspect of the rules.  You'll need a monster book, of course.

For Skill Challenges, the DMG guidelines are badly out of date, the Rules Compendium has the best version of those rules.  

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Does the red box not already come with an adventure and some almost premade heroes?

I do not own one, bt have seen a youtube vid which included an adeventure in which, you literally are being told how to fill out a char sheet and how to do it within the adventure.

So that would probably be the best start, to get a feel for the game and understand all the numbers and termonology.  You could then use this information to make your own characters for the next seesion.

Myself and 6 friends have only been playing DnD for about a month now, and when we learned how to play we did it the hard way of reading the books.  It also helped alot to use  a char builder website to help understand how some of the calculations work out (or at least I did).

Some good things to watch to understand the flow and get  feel for the type of atmoshere you may have at the table is to watch the pennyarcade or pax podcasts.  They are viewable on youtube and can be quite entertaining. 
Since a lot of the good advice has already been givin I'll just add this.
I found when I started playing that looking up and watching a few Youtube videos of people playing helped me alot understand the core idea behind lots of the rolls/situations you face during normal gameplay.  

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Does the red box not already come with an adventure and some almost premade heroes?

I do not own one, bt have seen a youtube vid which included an adeventure in which, you literally are being told how to fill out a char sheet and how to do it within the adventure.

So that would probably be the best start, to get a feel for the game and understand all the numbers and termonology.  You could then use this information to make your own characters for the next seesion.

Myself and 6 friends have only been playing DnD for about a month now, and when we learned how to play we did it the hard way of reading the books.  It also helped alot to use  a char builder website to help understand how some of the calculations work out (or at least I did).

Some good things to watch to understand the flow and get  feel for the type of atmoshere you may have at the table is to watch the pennyarcade or pax podcasts.  They are viewable on youtube and can be quite entertaining. 

The red box has a choose your own adventurestory that builds a character for you.
A character that dose not really fit in with players handbook or heroes of fallen lands.  
Short adventure, did not really read it with a judgmental eye so I can't say if it is good or not. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Check out Meetup.com and search RPG groups in your area.  They usually have a forum for discussion and can help put you in touch w/ a DM who would be willing to "train" your group.

Otherwise, best bet - practice... Just try it.  If you're decent at DMing some other RPG game, most likely you'll do fine w/ D&D as long as you learn the rules.

If you are looking for adventures.

www.livingforgottenrealms.com

Tons of modules, lots of plot and story and it is all set in The Forgotten Realms (Aka the stereotypical high fantasy 4e setting).

Also, everything is free. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

WotC kindly make H1 available as a free download, and there are some pre-made characters to use with it as well.

I have heard some people make disparaging comments about the campaign, but my personal opinon is that H1 Keep on the Shadowfell is excellent

This can also be downloaded from the "Learn to Play" page.