Just starting out with a red/white deck

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just bought a gatecrash box. looks like im going with a red/white deck. 

I would like some opinions on what must-have cards that i will be needing to be competive with friends and at FNM.

Your thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

some cards i have are

Aurelia, the Warleader x2
Hellkite Tyrant

thanks again 

There are two questions to be asked here:

Cards you need?  Or card you can afford?

Either way, the cards you have listed there will do you no good making a competitive decklist of an FNM event.  The Gatecrash cards that really matter right now are as follows:

Mythic Rares
Domri Rade
Duskmantle Seer
Gideon, Champion of Justice
Obzedat, Ghost Council
Prime Speaker Zegana

Rares
Blind Obedience
Boros Reckoner
Crypt Ghast
Frontline Medic
Legion Loyalist
Realmwright

Uncommons
Boros Charm
Boros Elite
Burning-Tree Emissary
Dimir Charm
Experiment One
Orzhov Charm
Simic Charm
Skullcrack
Vizkopa Guildmage

So yeah, if you have any of those, then you could start to work on a deck for FNM that wouldn't be too bad.  Granted, you're going to have to pick up cards from the last block (Innistrad, Dark Asscension, Avacyn Restored) and the Core Set (Magic 2013) as well as a few cards from Return to Ravnica to fill out any deck that you get started on. 

Also, you'll get more feedback in these forums if you actually have a plan of attack and a decklist more or less together already.  There's a thread around here somewhere where people build decks for you, but outside of that, most posters will only be willing to put in as much work to help you as you put in to presenting your deck idea.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

what kind of deck are you trying to make? an aggressive boros? a burn/lifegain? do you have any themes/ideas/cards you want to build this deck around?

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
ok so this is what i have put together so far:

Aurelia, the Warleader x2
Hellkite Tyrant
Cinder Elemental x2
Spark Trooper
Sunhome Guildmage x2
Skyknight Legionnaire x2
Foundry Street Denizen
Syndic of Tithes x2
Frontline Medic
Boros Elite x2
Wojek Halberdiers x3

Smite x2
Shielded Passage x2
Blind Obedience
Furious Resistance x2
Mugging x2
Act of Treason
Structural Collapse x2
Massive Raid x3
Skullcrack
Boros Charm
Boros Keyrune x2

Mountain x9
Plains x9
Boros Guildgate x4

This is what I have put together so far.  I would like to add 2 Boros Charm and maybe a couple or one drop creatures.  Not sure about what else I can add and then drop whatever I really do not need to get down to 60.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Are you willing to look outside of Gatecrash for some cards to add?  I ask because in order for a deck like this to work, you're going to want to have access to some more red and white cards from other sets in Standard.

My first impression is that you need to lose the Hellkite Tyrant.  He's never going to win you the game.  Niether you nor your opponent's will ever play with enough artifacts to triger his win condition, and even if they did, you'd beat them to death with the dragon long before you acumulated enuogh artifacts for it to matter.

Getting more copies of Boros Charm is a great idea, and you should also look into filling out your slots of Skullcrack and Mugging to four as well.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Thanks for the tip.  Yes I am definitely looking into other cards from standard.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
since this appears to be a more aggressive deck, i would take out furious resistance and smite. i agree with AzureShade about putting in more Mugging and boros charm, which could take the place of those more defensive cards

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Choosing red/white Boros deck requires you to attack every turn, and if you are blocking, you are losing.

Just a few points to make about duel decks.

Any card that costs more than 5 mana better win you the game

A mana curve deck, which boros is, needs to have threats coming down every turn so a smooth mana is essential.  Heading back a set to Return to Ravnica has some great boros enablers like Rackdos Cackler and Gore-House Chainwalker whic are both agressive and cheap as far as mana cost is concerned. 

Any card that slows down drops is a detriment to the deck, which makes the guildgates not effective in a deck like this, but as you are running a low cost mana curve deck, running 22 lands makes sense   

The best keyword for boros is a combination of haste and battalion, but the rakdos bonus is a close third, especially for the red cards. 

Just some thoughts 

Creatures that are cheap mana cost wise anyways, to consider

Ash Zealot
Bloodfray Giant
Rakdos Shred-freak
Rakdos Cackler   
Splatter Thug
Precinct Captain