decree of pain timing

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
if my opponent casts Thromok the Insatiable, and, not wanting him to have food for his creature, i cycle decree of pain, when Thromok the Insatiable resolved, does it also get -2/-2 and die? (since he has no creatures to sacrifice)
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
he will most likely be 0/0 and die because he had nothing to devour
but he will not get the -2/-2 from the decree
proud member of the 2011 community team
thank you, thats what i thought...my friend was argueing that it put some sort of like emblem that gives everything -2/-2 until end of turn
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Most effects do exactly what they say. If it doesn't say counters, it doesn't make counters. If it doesn't say you get an emblem, you don't get an emblem. If it doesn't say target, it doesn't target. The list goes on and on.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Please explain the rules of 'cycling' for me.  I obviously don't understand them correctly.  Based on this post, decree of pain is a sorcery, but he can 'cycle' it when his opponent casts Thromok.  So you can 'cycle' as an instant ability to counter the casting of his Thromok?
Please explain the rules of 'cycling' for me.  I obviously don't understand them correctly.  Based on this post, decree of pain is a sorcery, but he can 'cycle' it when his opponent casts Thromok.  So you can 'cycle' as an instant ability to counter the casting of his Thromok?

Cycling is an activated ability. You can activate such abilities at "instant speed" unless it says otherwise.
It doesn't matter if its on a sorcery, instant, creature, land, etc; you can use cycling any time you have priority, including in response to a spell or ability.

[<o>]