Gatecrash quality problems

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anyone noticed the following problems with Gatecrash:

#1 Booster packs containing 1-3 cards that have been packed flipped over, so the front of the card is visible when viewing the back of the remainder of the cards 

#2 The cards have more of a curvature to them than usual

I hope this makes sense. I can try to take pictures (of course I can't prove #1, but it's happened to about every fourth or fifth pack that we've opened). By curvature I mean that if you take a pack fresh card on a perfectly flat surface and look at it sideways, the center of the card is above the surface by about 0.5 mm or so. I am not talking about foils here, which are known to curve.

None of these problems are serious, but enough to be noticeable. 
I have not seen any flipped cards in any of the packs I have opened. (About 3 boxes worth so far)

I have noticed the curvature you are talking about, but I had attributed it to the cold weather.

I have also seen a couple discoloration misprints, but I know that happens from time to time.

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules and Formats

Tips & Tricks

Astarael7 wrote:
As for the weird implications you raised, we ignore them by sticking our fingers in our ears, squeezing our eyes shut, and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" at the top of our lungs.
I have noticed the curvature you are talking about, but I had attributed it to the cold weather.

You're supposed to store your beer in the snow and the cards indoors, not the other way around.

I had a flipped card in my box, but I haven't really noticed any curvature. I'm in South FL though.

Steve 
I haven't noticed unusual curvature in cards from packs, but the foil Fathom Mage I got from the Simic intro deck is curvier than average, even by foil standards.
I was at a draft last saturday. The box my table had, several cards in almost every pack had smudged ink on all the text.

The day before, a person bought a fat pack at the shop and one of the packs, every card was bent at this weird sort of angle that wouldn't really be possible to do while the cards were in a stack like that.
I honestly like smudged ink or too-bold print, as it makes the cards unique and possibly of greater value to a collector. That goes double for severe miscuts.
I honestly like smudged ink or too-bold print, as it makes the cards unique and possibly of greater value to a collector. That goes double for severe miscuts.

It's problematic when it's so smudged that the text is almost unreadable. I'm not well versed on the rules but wouldn't the card be unusable if the ink was so smudged that the text was unreadable?

It's problematic when it's so smudged that the text is almost unreadable. I'm not well versed on the rules but wouldn't the card be unusable if the ink was so smudged that the text was unreadable?

Legibility has no impact on a card's legality, as long as all players involved can identify what card it is.
Legibility nothing- it looks like garbage. I noticed some of the recent boxes of Return to Ravnica had some really shoddy quality. My guess is the same printer did Gatecrash. Eitherway, they need to fix it. It's not the quality I'd expect for that kind of money.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I noticed the blurred text on GTC cards as well.
I play for fun
I noticed more blurring starting with M13, but people here told me it was normal.  I have also seen several miscuts in M13, RTR and Gatecrash, but hadn't seen any from Innistrad to Avacyn Restored.

Cheers
I got a fully squared (about 2.5mm too large on all sides) foil skyknight legionaire.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
I noticed more blurring starting with M13, but people here told me it was normal.  I have also seen several miscuts in M13, RTR and Gatecrash, but hadn't seen any from Innistrad to Avacyn Restored.

Cheers

The worst smears/blurs that I've gotten were in Alara Reborn.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Could be that they were worse then.  I didn't play between Torment and Innistrad so I couldn't comment on that.  I don't remember any misprints/miscuts from my older cards, though that's not to say it didn't happen, and I didn't notice any from Innistrad to Avacyn Restored.  Obviously though, my sample size is quite small on the scale of things.

Cheers 
The smudged ink is a common error. That happens in every set. I haven't noticed anything unusual about gtc packs yet.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
I had never seen the smudged ink until Gatecrash, but a lot of people have really smudged cards around here.  They look like bad proxies, but they are pack fresh.  I'd say that the centering of this set has been a lot better than what the past 3 sets have been.     
I haven't noticed an above average rate of poor quality cards. I haven't noticed anything exceptionally bad except for a single card pulled at the prerelease I was at which was damaged enough at the top I used the whole 'official proxy' part of the Judge's ability set using an Innistrad checklist card.

Aside from that one specific instance though, nothing stands out in my mind. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Having worked in a printing plant, I can say with reasonable certainty that this is a result of a pressman or other QA person saying the product was good when it wasn't. This isn't WotC's fault, but I've noticed it becoming more common, so they should do something about it. I understand that getting consistently good quality on a large print run is difficult, but this? C'mon, WotC, you're getting shafted here.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I've pulled a ton of discolors from RfR and Gatecrash. A few blurs as well. My favorite is my Cackler, who is slightly lighter, and had a random neon green ring next to his foot.
I noticed it a few times with M13, and it seemed to only be the rare that was affected.  I know I pulled smudged copies of Faith's Reward and Hamletback Goliath.  There may have been more. 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Sign In to post comments