Dear Standard

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
1) Gyre Sage is not a mana dork. Stop treating it like one.

2) Duskmantle Seer is not Bob. He's not even particularly close. No, a good midrange/control player is NOT going to wait until your upkeep to feed your aggro deck symmetrical CA at the risk of huge damage.

3) Domri Rade has a second ability. He's not just a +1. Keep that in mind when evaluating him.

4) Yes, this format is begging to be rolled by a control deck with adequate sweepers and protection from Jund's back-breaking spells.

That is all. This public service announcement brought to you by people who think outside the box but inside reality. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

I came into this thread knowing what it was going to be and ready to play devil's advocate for fun since I was bored.

Though sadly, I agree with all of these points.  I'm also convinced anyone saying Domri is bad needs their head checked  ( <3 you Domribro...  /exuberantsemitroll).  And I've been tweaking an Esper list and have it almost right where I want it to be.  I'm not really scared of Jund so much as the monored/rakdos/boros aggro lists but I think it's actually got a decent g1 against them and an absolutely bonkers g2 and g3.
ITT Nothing super surprising, still not impressed by Gyre Sage, no matter what Saito posts on twitter.

(at)MrEnglish22

Having not yet seem Domri in action, I maintain that heshe is bad.

4) Yes, this format is begging to be rolled by a control deck with adequate sweepers and protection from Jund's back-breaking spells.

Because sweeping is a good way to deny value or shut down haste critters. I don't think this is a format where dumb battlecruiser control decks get much play.  While Wraths are nice to have, every bit of testing I have done suggests that carrying a critical mass of wraths is begging to get your face beat in by the format.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
What about MBJ (mono black Jund)? Or Grixis? Mutilate, Bonfire, Mortars, etc, hand disruption, Keyrunes swing in for the kill, etc.
5.) mutilate is still as unplayable as it was when reprinted

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

:<
5.) mutilate is still as unplayable as it was when printed

Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
I feel like it was really expensive when it and Nantuko Shade were together.
The problem with #4 is that sweepers are no longer an answer to creatures.  Regeneration, undying, hell, even indestructibility of boros charm and falkenrath can let their guys survive even the wrath of God, which will shortly thereafter be followed by the wrath of a dragon, another aristocrat, or a hellrider.  Terminus gets rid of all those guys, but since you're probably dead by turn 6, you're really spinning a roulette wheel.  Oh yeah, and even that doesn't answer a certain creature with a "leaves the battlefield" trigger that we've all come to know and love.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
So, what you're saying is, Mutilate.
So, what you're saying is, Mutilate.

Doesn't stop undying, thragtusk, or big creatures.  Or obzedat.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
I hope they print another black sweeper soon, im tired of having to make every one of my decks 20+ swamps so that I can get it to work only 80% of the time... I have bad luck....
How big we talking here? 'Cause -7/-7 seems like it'd take down most things in standard right now. Obviously Victim of Night would have to be deployed against Obzedat, not to mention Appetite for Brains; and any build where Mutilate is expected to yield any sort of value will have 2-3 Appetite for Brains.
So what is Gye Sage? A vanilla 1/2?
"Mana dork" is something that, independent of other cards/plays, accelerates your mana by its lonesome, allowing you to make plays a turn or two ahead of your land drops. Gyre Sage requires you play creatures larger than it in some capacity. It's a beating in limited, though.
"Mana dork" is something that, independent of other cards/plays, accelerates your mana by its lonesome, allowing you to make plays a turn or two ahead of your land drops. Gyre Sage requires you play creatures larger than it in some capacity. It's a beating in limited, though.

Nope. "Mana Dorks", also affectionately refered to as "Elves" are the extreme efficiency of creatures that produce mana. Most of the time, they cost and produce one mana of a specific color. Gilded Lotus, on the otherhand is not a mana dork- it's simply an accelerant. Gyre Sage is most fairly compared to Elvish Archdruid in the capacity that it's bonkers acceleration and impact on the game with a little elbow grease is powerful. But the question of it's play in Standard is more of a matter of efficiency than it is a matter of power- and to that end it has to be reliant on cards like Zameck Guildmage or Travel Preparations (both are very playable cards, but creating shells with them is a tad difficult because there aren't many inherently powerful and efficient cards that they gel with for the time being.) to be a real contender.

I suppose, for me, part of the reason I'm not jumping at GS is that Genesis Wave and Liege of the Tangle are gone- and while Craterhoof Behemoth and Worldspine Wurm  and Primal Surge all tickle me, using an acclerant like GS asks for too much commitment in a world Unsummon being a widely played card.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
reprint moat

....and signets 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Hell, reprint cspell, dust bowl, WoG, GFtT, Bolt, give us a fixed reprint of sinkhole that bears either a cashsieze or 'as an additional cost, exile a land card from a gy' thing, and maybe some mbc love of another stripe.

Control is unfun for people who don't know how to play magic. It's a tragedy.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
1) Gyre Sage is a thing that gets bigger. And sometimes it makes mana. It's really not that complex.

2) Sweepers are still going to be necessary, and they're still good. You just can't run a deck that is relying on them to stop an onslaught.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.