4e Half-elf Bard

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
So far I have prioritized my stats into Cha and Con with a bit of Int. I am not sure what weapons to use though because there are so many options and I am quite new at this, any help would be appreciated.
I like daggers personally
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Daggers are definitely good - +3 to hit, ranged and some options to turn them into implements, such as MC'ing into Swordmage or wielding one of the various Bard weapon/implements.
OKay I picked a lot of the Melee Weapon skills so maybe a wand in one hand and a scimitar/short sword/something one handed in the other? Hearing dagger is good
OKay I picked a lot of the Melee Weapon skills so maybe a wand in one hand and a scimitar/short sword/something one handed in the other? Hearing dagger is good

You won't really have a lot of use for a Wand as a Valor Bard if you make a Dagger into an implement. Blade Initiate or Heart of the Blade both make Dagger into an implement and give some extras. Blade Initiate has a slight edge, but you're already going to be trained in Arcana and have reason to hold two items, so not as much.
Ask yourself this: "What does a wand do for me a dagger wouldn't"?

Dagger: +3 proficiency for weapon attacks, ranged and melee weapon, also available in "accurate" model and only one enhancement bonus to keep up, opens up off-hand for shield/orb/something useful.

Wand: half a set of chopsticks.

Tongue Out

Swordmage multiclass is a natural and useful multiclass anyway, and Heart of the Blade gives you another skill to boot.
I didnt multiclass this Bard because honestly I dont really know how and I am quite new at this so the knowledge required to multiclass is beyond my grasp until I play a little longer. I was basically planning on having him in the vanguard of the battle with a shield and a wand for the defense and implement and do almost purely support and rather than rewrite this guy(which took my forever in the first place) I would like to continue down this path. I do appreciate all the help but I am a noob and unable to comprehend most of it, haha. Any suggestions for a simpler bard like the one I am trying?
I didnt multiclass this Bard because honestly I dont really know how and I am quite new at this so the knowledge required to multiclass is beyond my grasp until I play a little longer. I was basically planning on having him in the vanguard of the battle with a shield and a wand for the defense and implement and do almost purely support and rather than rewrite this guy(which took my forever in the first place) I would like to continue down this path. I do appreciate all the help but I am a noob and unable to comprehend most of it, haha. Any suggestions for a simpler bard like the one I am trying?

Okay, I have discarded the wand(I was just going by the PLayers Handbook anyway so its not like I had a connection to it anyway). Would a dagger/light shield be good and what advantage would it offer over say, a scimitar/light shield or longsword/light shield?
A wand is generally associated with a Cunning (INT secondary, stays at range) Bard. If you're going to be right up front a light blade and light shield are good choices early on as you're in AC-targeting area and you're at a middling AC in chain alone.

The nice thing about the dagger is it can be thrown without taking up it's enchantment with farbond or the like. It has a low damage die, but that matters less and less as you level and you're not a big damage dealer regardless. 
Bards are all about multiclassing. The ability to MC whatever they want is a core concept of the class.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Ty Gunthar. I know they're supposed to MC but I'm just having a hard time figuring it out. Does that mean I can pick a feat, for ex, Sudden Roots from the Warden class if I wanted to?
Ty Gunthar. I know they're supposed to MC but I'm just having a hard time figuring it out. Does that mean I can pick a feat, for ex, Sudden Roots from the Warden class if I wanted to?

You have to pick the MC feat for the class first. Then you can take feats from that class.
OK im starting to get it. Since Im going support but will be frontline, how does a Bard Warlord or a Bard Warden sound?
OK im starting to get it. Since Im going support but will be frontline, how does a Bard Warlord or a Bard Warden sound?

Or is that kinda stupid and I should just go Bard Warlock or Bard Sorceror instead?
MC Warlord is actually a pretty decent choice for a Bard, as I understand it.

As a side note, you may want to use Dilettante to pick up Eldritch Strike or Ensorcelled Blade.

Or is that kinda stupid and I should just go Bard Warlock or Bard Sorceror instead?

Are you talking about going hybrid?

Are you talking about going hybrid?

Oh shucks I dont know. Isn't a hybrid half and half split down the middle and MC is prodominantly one class and a bit of the other?
If so, I would rather do the MC. From what I understand from the PH and these wonderful people here is that(going Bard Warlord MC) I take the Student of Battle MC feat and then I am free to take any feats from that class that I want? Plus I have dilettante so I can snag an at-will from anythingI want as well, not just Warlord. 
As a bard, you're not actually limited to just one class of MC feat. You could take Warlord and another class.
As a bard, you're not actually limited to just one class of MC feat. You could take Warlord and another class.

Several classes? Wow that sounds a little intense I think I'll stick with two I can hardly figure THAT out.
Multiclass Feats, the gateway feat that lets you into another class, are usually pretty powerful.  They can combine the benefits of a few other feats into one package.  And since bards have unlimited multiclassing, this works out very well.

For example:  Blade Initiate, a Swordmage multiclass feat, provides the following benefits:
Training in Arcana, which would be a feat of Skill Training on its own, but is also wasted as you already had it from being a Bard.
Swordmage Implements, which translates to Arcane Implement Proficiency: Light Blade and Implement Proficiency: Heavy Blade.
Once a day, you can get Swordmage Warding for an encounter, which is a good AC boost.

Student of Battle, a Warlord multiclass feat, provides:
Skill training in your choice of a Warlord's class skill.
1/day extra heal, on top of your Bard heals.

So for a single feat, you're getting a pretty wonderful package AND you then count as a Swordmage (or Warlord) for the purpose of future feats/Paragon Path/Epic Destiny selection.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?

As a side note, you may want to use Dilettante to pick up Eldritch Strike or Ensorcelled Blade.

Ensorcelled Blade is a terrible dilettante, the rider only works for non-Elementalist real sorcerers.

Okay, fine, Virtuous Strike.  Was looking at a Sorcerer for a game and that's what came to mind.  Something to give him one decent MBA swing per encounter (in heroic).  Though, doesn't the rider just affect damage type?  Nevermind, actually took a moment to look it up.

Several classes? Wow that sounds a little intense I think I'll stick with two I can hardly figure THAT out.

Gets even better when you get to Epic and can take (or retrain into) Multiclass Mastery.  Multiclass Versatility is fun.

Ensorcelled Blade is a terrible dilettante, the rider only works for non-Elementalist real sorcerers.

Okay, fine, Virtuous Strike.  Was looking at a Sorcerer for a game and that's what came to mind.  Something to give him one decent MBA swing per encounter (in heroic).  Though, doesn't the rider just affect damage type?  Nevermind, actually took a moment to look it up.

Eldritch Strike is what you want to dilettante, for that purpose.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Fair enough.
I don't know what you are trying to accomplish but if you are new to the game first off, welcome, and second give this a look.
Pregen_Characters_-_Good_and_Simpl
and while you're at it. 
Cruel_Lullabies:_The_Bard_Handbook

Eldritch Strike is what you want to dilettante, for that purpose.

Why would a Bard with a great Con/Cha, a weapon and a little bit of Int want Eldritch Strike at all? Magic Weapon+Combat Virtuoso or Adept Dilettante = +1 to hit/+Con to damage for allies.
Because you read the part where he wanted an MBA...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Because you read the part where he wanted an MBA...

Melee Training, then for that, if it is really necessary. If you're going to be picking a Half-Elf Dilettante power, pick an optimizable at-will. Twin Strike, Magic Weapon, a Wizard at-will that can be expanded into a burst 3 power, something that creates options unavailable elsewhere.
Because an arcane MBA which slides ISN'T optimisable, right?

Oh, wait.
Because an arcane MBA which slides ISN'T optimisable, right?

Oh, wait.

Lashing Flail says hi...sure, not arcane. And it even comes with an easy option to make the target prone without investing in additional stats.

There are reasons to have Eldritch Strike. That some builds can optimize Eldritch Strike does not mean that a Bard, of all classes, ought to be optimizing Eldritch Strike. If a Bard wants damage, do Twin Strike. If a Bard wants to build an area 3 psychic lock option, there's a Wizard power for that. If a Bard wants to be a superb Leader, Magic Weapon is waiting.

Eldritch Strike's slide is really nice on a Bard Taxi.  They are going to be optimizing teleports anyway so they really don't have to do too much to take advantage of ES in particular.
Lashing Flail says hi, I'm not exactly the best weapon for a bard, given that you can neither throw me, nor use me as an implement, and even the con-Bard can;t make everything melee.  And why waste two feats for a worse effect when you can spend one to a better?

For a bard down to at-wills, you should be using Staggering Note.  Eldritch Strike is useful for having a good MBA.
Eldritch Strike is useful for having a good MBA.

Also great to have a real MBA if you wanted to use any of the Skald powers.
Mm, for the aura ones, in particular, but for thing s like Dimensional Step and Flash of Distraction too.
Lashing Flail says hi, I'm not exactly the best weapon for a bard, given that you can neither throw me, nor use me as an implement, and even the con-Bard can;t make everything melee.  And why waste two feats for a worse effect when you can spend one to a better?

Because if you're going to waste your Dilettante for an MBA, then you might as well spend 2 feats for that worse effect and keep your Dilettante for a power you expect to use more than once an encounter.
And being a Valor Bard he'll be up in the mix of melee quite a bit so a slide on an OA is always nice to have. Its just so versatile. Is a Dilletanted ES considered a Bard attack for the sake of Batttle Song Expertise or do you need to wait until you take Versatile master?
A Dilettanted attack is not considered a Bard attack for Battle Song Expertise at all.
It's a weapon attack, though, so you should at least get the attack bonus.  Just not the forced movement bonus.
A Dilettanted attack is not considered a Bard attack for Battle Song Expertise at all.

OH well. Just need other slide boosters then.
Sign In to post comments