Noob question about At-Wills

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am building a Bard with a melee weapon so can I take Vicious Mockey or do I need a ranged weapon for that? Vicious Mockery's text sayiing

At Will, Arcane, Charm, Implement, Psychic
Std Action          Ranged 10

I am building a Bard with a melee weapon so can I take Vicious Mockey or do I need a ranged weapon for that? Vicious Mockery's text sayiing

At Will, Arcane, Charm, Implement, Psychic
Std Action          Ranged 10

A power with the implement keyword gains no benefit from a ranged or melee weapon being equipped unless you can use that weapon as an implement. 

Implement powers don't require that you use an implement at all, but using one is the onky way to get an enhancement bonus to their rolls.

Many bards dual-wield a sword and a wand, or use one of the many weapon enchants that allow the weapon to work as an implement. 
So in short, I could use Vicious Mockery with pretty well whatever I want but it will not get a bonus unless I use an implement?
So in short, I could use Vicious Mockery with pretty well whatever I want but it will not get a bonus unless I use an implement?

yep.

also note that unless you have an item/feat that says otherwise, if you make a Ranged attack while an enemy is adjacent to you, he will get to attack you (unless he is unable to make opportunity attacks for whatever reason). 
awesome, ty

Or you could use it with nothing at all.  No weapon or implement of any kind is necessary.  But like you said, you won't get an enhancement bonus unless you use a +X implement with this power.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

..and as with any bard, please give staggering note a good look
The biggest question is:  Are you going to sing all the time during your encounters?....  Smile
The biggest question is:  Are you going to sing all the time during your encounters?.... 

Thanks to the power of reflavoring, he doesn't have to sing at all if he doesn't want to.
The biggest question is:  Are you going to sing all the time during your encounters?.... 

Thanks to the power of reflavoring, he doesn't have to sing at all if he doesn't want to.

The last bard I had played death metal on his electric guitar.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

So he was an axe build?

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

So he was an axe build?

(rimshot)

(rimshot)

There's an app  icon for that...  
I once reflavored a bard as a "wardancer" - he took Perform: Dance as his performance skill, carried a drum, and I MC'd into a couple levels of monk as well. Most of his spells were self-buffs. I got some Riverdance jokes, but the guy was basically fluffed as a Capoeira fighter...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Sign In to post comments