Is Part of Barbarian's Feral Sense useless ?

Am i missing something or the second portion of the Barbarian Feature Feral Sense is useless ?
Aren't you always aware of the location of invisible creatures that aren't hidden from you ?

Feral Sense: Additionally, while you are conscious and are not blinded or deafened, you are aware of the location of any invisible creature within 30 feet of you, provided the creature isn’t hidden from you.

Invisible: The creature’s location can be detected by any noise it makes or any tracks it leaves.

Maybe it means they don't suffer disadvantage against invisible targets. Needs clarification.
yes invisible CAN BE detected, that doesnt mean everyone knows where they are. it just means you can actively search to find them IF they make sounds or leave tracks. feral sense is basically, i can see you if you're withing 30 feet, even if you are invisible
As I understand it, Feral Sense alerts the barbarian to the exact location (which might occupy a single grid square) of an invisible creature within 30 feet of you. No checks required. I assume it works even if the creature is standing still (the barbarian can hear breathing, perhaps!).

Normally, a Wisdom + Listen check is required to notice a moving invisible creature, or an Intelligence + Track check to detect the traces of the creature who had passed by a certain area. Perhaps a Wisdom + Spot check to notice big, obvious footprints in sand or snow or something like that.
within 30 feet of you,

Normally you have to be in melee range or pass a listen check to pin point an invisible creature
Am i missing something or the second portion of the Barbarian Feature Feral Sense is useless ?
Aren't you always aware of the location of invisible creatures that aren't hidden from you ?

Feral Sense: Additionally, while you are conscious and are not blinded or deafened, you are aware of the location of any invisible creature within 30 feet of you, provided the creature isn’t hidden from you.

Invisible: The creature’s location can be detected by any noise it makes or any tracks it leaves.

It means you can detect an invisible creature that isn't making noise or leaving tracks, even when they are not actively hiding.

For example a wizard cast invisiblity on himself. He cannot hide yet as he used his action.

If he doesn't move (makes no tracks) nor says nothing (makes no sounds), you cannot know his location. You have no idea if he moved.

But a barbarian does. He can smell 'em or hear their heartbeat or breathing.

Basically, it lets know know the location of invisible characters who are not making tracks, making noise, or hiding.

Invisible creatures will atually have to make a hide action to hide from a 14th+ level barbarian. You can't just turn invisible and walk by with a held tongue on a surface that leaves no tracks.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

You dont have to move to leave tracks, simply standing may leave a print on the ground...

Normally you have to be in melee range or pass a listen check to pin point an invisible creature

It seems you dont know where a creature is if its hidden, not just invisible. Otherwise, what would be the point of hiding if being Invisible procure the same benefit ? Not knowing where a creature is means you cannot target it and checks are to notice or find hiding creatures, not invisible ones as per How To Play pg. 09.

Benefits of Being Hidden: When your enemies don’t know where you are, you can take advantage of the following benefits - You cannot be targeted...

The point is you cannot know a nonhiding invisible creature's location until you actively search for it, it makes tracks, or it makes a noise.

So when a wizard casts invisiblity on someone, the target's location is instantly lost to all but those who can see invisible and 14+ level babrabians within 30ft unless the target is making noise or leaves cast. If the invisible target takes an action or movement after the spell is cast that makes noise or tracks, nearby characters sse it.

Cast invisible on a stone floor? Only babarianins know your location.

Very situational though.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

The point is you cannot know a nonhiding invisible creature's location until you actively search for it, it makes tracks, or it makes a noise.

Where does it say that ? I can only find where you can search for an hidden creature, only Invisible one. Thats how i interpret it at least. That's how it is in 4E too FWIW. May be thats what skews my view on it.

---
Attacking an Unseen Target

Combatants often try to escape their foes’ notice by hiding, casting invisibility, or lurking in darkness.

Disadvantage:
When you attack a target that you can’t see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. When you make such an attack, you must at least be aware of the target’s location, either because of a noise it has made or because of some other sign.

Hidden Targets:
If you want to attack a creature that is not only unseen to you but also hidden from you, you must first locate the creature, typically by taking an action to search for it (see Actions in Combat). Until you pinpoint the creature, you cannot target it with attacks, although you can potentially affect it with an area effect, such as a fireball.
---

So barbarians don't need to take an action to search for it, that's how I inteprit it. Quoted from the rules.
Attacking an Unseen Target
Disadvantage: 
When you make such an attack, you must at least be aware of the target’s location, either because of a noise it has made or because of some other sign.

Ok with this it all make sense now. I thought only hidden creatures needed to be located first before they could be attacked but invisible ones as well. Thanks!

Glad I could help!
Sign In to post comments