Cheaters

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't know for certain, but it seems to me that the steam protection isn't working for this game. There is a hacked leaderboard and 50% of my matches are with people with huge decks that always draw the right card for every situation, that I can't pause when needed, and that the game always crash when I concede.

I don't think this is a huge coincidence. I don't play it very often lately, but I think the game is becoming almost unplayable for serious players right now.

Anyone got the same experience?
There is no "steam protection" for this game.
Well, the game has a lot of issues. I personally don't know of any way to influence the cards you can top deck. A lot of people also complain that the AI cheats and picks what to draw at convinient times (although the AI only knows what is the order of cards to draw). At most I know you can change the amount of each specific card on your deck.
My guess is they play with a fixed deck. No random draw, so they know for sure what they will draw and when. So the amount of cards don't matter.
My guess is they play with a fixed deck. No random draw, so they know for sure what they will draw and when. So the amount of cards don't matter.

That would an interesting idea but there is the issue that there are cards that will make you shuffle your library. Even if you could create that type of mod then it would still be pointless.
If you can stack your deck, why would you run anything that would make you shuffle?
Good reason to play dotp on a console.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

If you can stack your deck, why would you run anything that would make you shuffle? Good reason to play dotp on a console.

There are a lot of cards that will make you shuffle. Doing things like that also lead to syncing issues. 
If you can stack your deck, why would you run anything that would make you shuffle? Good reason to play dotp on a console.

There are a lot of cards that will make you shuffle. Doing things like that also lead to syncing issues. 

Yeah, but why would you run them?  If you can pick what cards you're going to draw ahead of time, you wouldn't need any card that would make you shuffle your deck.  You wouldn't play Expanse/Wild, you wouldn't play Tutors, you wouldn't play ramp.

There's are people in other places that are saying there is a program out there that lets you pick what cards you draw.  If the Mire's Toll example that was provided by those people is true, then yeah, people are cheating this game.  IDK if it's only on steam or if this is possible on consoles as well.  It's not that I'm saying it's fact, but I do believe that there are people out there that would do anything possible to win in any game so I wouldn't put it past them.  If someone were to run this type of program then I would expect them to be using a 75-85 card deck.  There's always cards I'd like to include in my decks but I don't so as to keep it more focused and increase my chances of drawing the cards I need more.  If you know you're going to draw whatever you need in any given situation then you would put more of those "situational" cards in the deck just incase you needed them.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

With the freqency that these mod allegations get brought up it sounds like half the steam users are playing with this mod. I personally want to see a link to it.
Well, I have a suspicion that the game is "lenient" with large deck users; even people running 100 card decks seem to rarely draw their crappiest cards that would dissuade people from playing 100 card decks. I think a lot of the rest of this is just confirmation bias, though. If there were a programme to stack your deck, you'd need to restack it after every shuffle, and you can't be immune to shuffling; enemy cards like Bribery could force it (granted, Bribery gets a lot of concedes anyhow...) and ruin your hard work.

Not to say I don't believe some people will do ANYTHING to win a game (except learn how to be good at it), I just don't think there's enough time to be continually re-stacking your deck without it being very noticable.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Yeah, but why would you run them?  If you can pick what cards you're going to draw ahead of time, you wouldn't need any card that would make you shuffle your deck.  You wouldn't play Expanse/Wild, you wouldn't play Tutors, you wouldn't play ramp.

There's are people in other places that are saying there is a program out there that lets you pick what cards you draw.  If the Mire's Toll example that was provided by those people is true, then yeah, people are cheating this game.  IDK if it's only on steam or if this is possible on consoles as well.  It's not that I'm saying it's fact, but I do believe that there are people out there that would do anything possible to win in any game so I wouldn't put it past them.  If someone were to run this type of program then I would expect them to be using a 75-85 card deck.  There's always cards I'd like to include in my decks but I don't so as to keep it more focused and increase my chances of drawing the cards I need more.  If you know you're going to draw whatever you need in any given situation then you would put more of those "situational" cards in the deck just incase you needed them.

I don't know how true this is.  The discussion on the steam forum was unsatisfying, to say the least.  The programs they pointed to don't appear to allow what they said they did, and when I asked how they knew cheating was occuring, or how they distinguished signs of cheating from normal lag, they said it was a 'sixth sense'.  So...not the most persuasive form of proof.  The Mire's Toll example could still be proof of deck fixing but who knows how reliable the source is.  I'm not saying it's not occuring but I don't think there is any proof it is either, other than the word of someone I don't know.

Edit: link to the steam discussion about Mire's Toll:

steamcommunity.com/app/97330/discussions...
There is an allegation link in the Is The Game Hacked thread.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I don't know how true this is.  The discussion on the steam forum was unsatisfying, to say the least.  The programs they pointed to don't appear to allow what they said they did, and when I asked how they knew cheating was occuring, or how they distinguished signs of cheating from normal lag, they said it was a 'sixth sense'.  So...not the most persuasive form of proof.  The Mire's Toll example could still be proof of deck fixing but who knows how reliable the source is.  I'm not saying it's not occuring but I don't think there is any proof it is either, other than the word of someone I don't know.

Edit: link to the steam discussion about Mire's Toll:

steamcommunity.com/app/97330/discussions...

Yeah, I hate that thread. One guy saying "They all laughed at me but I was RIGHT!! hahaha" with no evidence to back it up beyond his word. When asked how you know if someone's using a hack? "You just know..."

That's court-room failure right there.
Regarding the steam thread, vid or it didn't happen.  And yes - playing on consoles (PS3 in particular, due to closed architecture) guarantees something like this can't happen.
I'm going to take a wild guess that a Steam thread saying "THERE IS A CHEAT PROGRAM FOR THIS GAME HOSTED ON THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE: CHEATNUKE DOT COM" might, just might, be a completely fake story whose purpose is only to get people to go to that website and pay for their (non-functional) trainer.

This isn't the 90s, people.  If true deck-stacking cheating were possible in the PC version, everyone would be talking about it.

Also I totally heard about a way to bring Aeris back to life, trust me guys it works.

I'm going to take a wild guess that a Steam thread saying "THERE IS A CHEAT PROGRAM FOR THIS GAME HOSTED ON THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE: CHEATNUKE DOT COM" might, just might, be a completely fake story whose purpose is only to get people to go to that website and pay for their (non-functional) trainer.

This isn't the 90s, people.  If true deck-stacking cheating were possible in the PC version, everyone would be talking about it.

Also I totally heard about a way to bring Aeris back to life, trust me guys it works.

Oh please please tell me she's my favourite character and her invicibility limit break would be totally fair and balanced if allowed past the first half of the game!

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I don't think so since later on the poster acknowledges that the site is probably a source of viruses.

But I do agree it is unlikely that such a deck stacking program exists. 
Regarding the steam thread, vid or it didn't happen. 

Exactly. I mean, this one time I played against MM and a guy dropped a Forest then tapped it to play a Child of Alara on turn 1. It's obvious he was cheating! I don't have pics or a vid or anything, but believe me, it happened.
If you put on google "DOTP 2013 trainer", it is possible to get many hits on trainers. I won't download them, because some (or maybe all) are going to be just malicious programs.
What's the explaination for Multeyemeteor playing against the Bolas deck then?  That's on video.  I have no idea what the level of hacking is, but that video makes it clear to me that the game has been hacked.
What's the explaination for Multeyemeteor playing against the Bolas deck then?  That's on video.  I have no idea what the level of hacking is, but that video makes it clear to me that the game has been hacked.

That deck is simply hidden from player selection; modding the game to use it is orders of magnitude less complex than coming up with a program that lets you stack the deck.

That said I wish they'd just officially release the Bolas deck as a $1.99 DLC or something to get the last few bucks out of players before 2014 comes out.

That deck is simply hidden from player selection; modding the game to use it is orders of magnitude less complex than coming up with a program that lets you stack the deck.

That said I wish they'd just officially release the Bolas deck as a $1.99 DLC or something to get the last few bucks out of players before 2014 comes out.

What would be awsome, as long as they don't include the MOX. Those can be quite OP.

Is it?  Is it that much harder?  We know that there is a seperate algorithm that the AI uses for it's decks when the game is on Planeswalker difficulty.  Would it be any harder to gain access to that than it would be to gain access to Bolas' deck?  I just love how you so matter of factly dismiss the notion that this could be done.  I'm not saying that it's a fact that this program exists, I just find it funny how many people seem to know for a fact that it doesn't.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I don't know why I have to keep saying this: If such a cheat program existed, this forum (and others) would have hundreds of posts about it, calling for WOTC's head on a stick.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but absence of evidence certainly carries some weight when the evidence in this case is literally one guy who when questioned provided no evidence.

If you put on google "DOTP 2013 trainer", it is possible to get many hits on trainers. I won't download them, because some (or maybe all) are going to be just malicious programs.

I did this after DroneOn said the CheatNuke thing was just a deck unlocker.  While I haven't downloaded any, as far as I can tell, only 3 types of cheats are advertised from these places: deck unlocks, foil unlocks, and something that alters the power/toughness of creatures.  There are certainly some for which no info exists, but most of these trainers all seem to be from the same set of sites.

After I did this, I asked the original steam poster whether he had verified his claim that a cheat that allowed you to dial cards up from your deck actually existed, and he said that he had not.

While there is proof that hackers have unlocked the Bolas deck, and that they can hack the leaderboards, there is no evidence of anything beyond this.  I am also doubting the veracity of the steam poster's Mires Toll claim as a result, since he clearly WANTED there to be a cheater (he said something to the extent that he was happy and felt vindicated by it).  It is just as likely that he was mistaken about it.

Or maybe he was right.  But there's zero evidence to support this, and a lot of 'omg that person got great draws against me, they must be cheating'.  Yesterday I played against a GM deck, where I had board control and significant card advantage.  They topdecked 6 cards in a row that swung the game in their favor (removal, demigod, removal, removal, removal, demigod).  My first reaction was 'good lord maybe the cheating thing is true'.  Then I slapped myself and moved on.

Is it?  Is it that much harder?  We know that there is a seperate algorithm that the AI uses for it's decks when the game is on Planeswalker difficulty.  Would it be any harder to gain access to that than it would be to gain access to Bolas' deck?  I just love how you so matter of factly dismiss the notion that this could be done.  I'm not saying that it's a fact that this program exists, I just find it funny how many people seem to know for a fact that it doesn't.

Well, I do know that you can't prove a negative. If I were to say the hacks don't exist, that's all that need be said. It's up to those that claim otherwise to prove that such hacks do exist.

So far that hasn't been the case.

Think about it just a pinch deeper.
The Bolas deck has always been available to play on the pc if you knew how to do it, but it couldn't be used in multiplayer.....
Now it can.
Who's to say that  a sad, sequestered, ultra computer nerd didn't figure out a way to stack also.

Now that that is said.
If it was possible and had been done, I think there would be much more information about it out in the network.

Show

Wierdest thing just happened and I guess I'll give it up to lag, but I've never had anything like this happen and I think this might be the best place to post it. I'm on ps3 and I really don't think it's hacked up (although, I used to own a modded ps2 that could play rented/copied/burned games).

I'm playing GP and draw into Zealous, Midnight, Falconrath and some other choice cards as I have the sneaking feeling this random is playing GG since I ran into it so many times last night.

His turn he plays nothing and to me that said, "cheap Goblins. Let's keep this as I surely will draw a land"... man I felt good about the game.

My turn I draw Traveler and go to play a white mana.
Mash, mash, mash.
Can't play mana

Game Sync.

He throws a mountain and I draw a plain.

Doomed Traveler is no longer in my hand.

???????????

Show

I did this after DroneOn said the CheatNuke thing was just a deck unlocker.  While I haven't downloaded any, as far as I can tell, only 3 types of cheats are advertised from these places: deck unlocks, foil unlocks, and something that alters the power/toughness of creatures.  There are certainly some for which no info exists, but most of these trainers all seem to be from the same set of sites.

After I did this, I asked the original steam poster whether he had verified his claim that a cheat that allowed you to dial cards up from your deck actually existed, and he said that he had not.

While there is proof that hackers have unlocked the Bolas deck, and that they can hack the leaderboards, there is no evidence of anything beyond this.  I am also doubting the veracity of the steam poster's Mires Toll claim as a result, since he clearly WANTED there to be a cheater (he said something to the extent that he was happy and felt vindicated by it).  It is just as likely that he was mistaken about it.

Or maybe he was right.  But there's zero evidence to support this, and a lot of 'omg that person got great draws against me, they must be cheating'.  Yesterday I played against a GM deck, where I had board control and significant card advantage.  They topdecked 6 cards in a row that swung the game in their favor (removal, demigod, removal, removal, removal, demigod).  My first reaction was 'good lord maybe the cheating thing is true'.  Then I slapped myself and moved on.

I'm not sure it is a hack, but the amount of coincidence is really impressive.

If some part of the game can be hacked, sure it's sensible to think other parts can be hacked too. Where is a possibily, it can exist other possibilities as well.

And maybe the person who could do the hacked version didn't spread its hack to other players, so only he or his group could hack the game. It's not how usually they do this kind of stuff, but possible.

But maybe I must do exactly like you did, because of the lack of proof. Just slap myself and move on.

The Bolas deck has always been available to play on the pc if you knew how to do it, but it couldn't be used in multiplayer.....
Now it can.
Who's to say that  a sad, sequestered, ultra computer nerd didn't figure out a way to stack also.

Now that that is said.
If it was possible and had been done, I think there would be much more information about it out in the network.

The Bolas deck has always been available for multiplayer. Why? Because the game recognizes is it as playable deck. The deck simply appears as hidden in the game files, if you know how to open the game files and change it to available you will be able to play it against anyone.

Now it can.

I could have sworn that I read an earlier thread that the deck was playable, but in a multiplayer format it caused a sync issue and froze the game.

Now that that is said.

The Bolas deck has always been available for multiplayer. Why? Because the game recognizes is it as playable deck. The deck simply appears as hidden in the game files, if you know how to open the game files and change it to available you will be able to play it against anyone.

Show

I looked into it back then, trying to find out what had happened, and what I gathered was that it was one of two things going on:

1. Someone had exchanged a regular deck for the bolas decks, but switching referers in the code. Making it so that choosing a particular deck would load up the Bolas deck instead.

2. On a different website, I found a guy describing in vague terms how he exchanged certain cards for other cards, by messing with the game's registry, and in essence he could put in cards that didn't belong to a deck into that particular deck. 

Not sure what that guy did, but I do know that while the deck has been hacked, it's not as common as some people seem to think. 

The hardest part of most game cheats is hiding the fact that you have changed something in the game data. Even the most basic security will check that it's files look unmodified. Once you are past this hurdle (which, if the Bolas deck video is proof, has been shown to be the case) reverse engineering data and creating a card picker could be relatively straight forward, depending on the security implemented by the program.

I don't know why I have to keep saying this: If such a cheat program existed, this forum (and others) would have hundreds of posts about it, calling for WOTC's head on a stick.

By this logic shouldn't we be seeing the Bolas deck running rampant, with hundreds of posts about it?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but absence of evidence certainly carries some weight when the evidence in this case is literally one guy who when questioned provided no evidence.

By this logic shouldn't we be seeing the Bolas deck running rampant, with hundreds of posts about it?

And by that logic if such a comparitively obvious and simple hack as unlocking Bolas' deck isn't remotely widespread, why should anyone believe that more complex hacks are?
And by that logic if such a comparitively obvious and simple hack as unlocking Bolas' deck isn't remotely widespread, why should anyone believe that more complex hacks are?

So, you're suggesting that other hacks are available, but not widespread?

So, you're suggesting that other hacks are available, but not widespread?

I'm not suggesting anything. Just continuing a line of thought.

It's suggested that complex deck stacking hacks are in use.
It's common knowledge that a simple hack exists that allows for the use of Nicol Bolas' deck.
Said Bolas Hack is, to my knowledge, very rarely (if ever) encountered.
If that's the case, then should a more complicated deck-stacking hack exist, would it not stand to reason that it is in far less use than the easier yet rarely seen Bolas hack?

End question: If this "hacking problem" actually exists, is it really a problem?
It's common knowledge that a simple hack exists that allows for the use of Nicol Bolas' deck.
If that's the case, then should a more complicated deck-stacking hack exist, would it not stand to reason that it is in far less use than the easier yet rarely seen Bolas hack?

End question: If this "hacking problem" actually exists, is it really a problem?

Well, deck rigging hacks would be both more beneficial and harder to detect than the Bolas hack, so if we assume a similar level of awareness/access between the two I think it would be safe to assume deck rigging hacks to be much more widely used.
I think I've developed a smokers hack if anyone wants to try it out.

Show

Well, deck rigging hacks would be both more beneficial and harder to detect than the Bolas hack, so if we assume a similar level of awareness/access between the two I think it would be safe to assume deck rigging hacks to be much more widely used.

And then the hard part: Proving that.
I can't be asked to prove they don't exist. But those that claim, or even assume, that they do can be expected to put forth evidence of such.

That's the bottom line and that's what's missing: Evidence of deck-stacking hacks.

That's the bottom line and that's what's missing: Evidence of deck-stacking hacks.

I'm not on one side or the other in regard to the actual existence of hacks. Just adding some input on the technical issues (as a programmer and long-term gamer in hack infested genres like FPSs). Also, pointing out some flawed logic ^ - ^

I'm actually quite conservative in calling out hacks without rock solid proof, even in communities where they are well known and widespread it's very difficult to be certain that you're on the receiving end of one.

Sort of off topic but for anyone who is interested, this post about Battlefield 3 hacks will give you an idea of the staggering sophistication that is available:  www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/t...

It's pretty mind-blowing, especially when you consider that these games have dedicated teams of cutting edge security specialists that are in active, ongoing competition with the hackers, and still can't stop them.

I'm not on one side or the other in regard to the actual existence of hacks. Just adding some input on the technical issues (as a programmer and long-term gamer in hack infested genres like FPSs). Also, pointing out some flawed logic ^ - ^

Truth be told, I shouldn't even be in this thread. I'm on PSN.
Sign In to post comments