Client performance horrid. (beta client better?)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have an extreme high-end system. I doubt 99.9% of the forum users could pace with my rig. That being said, the performance of the MTGO client is irritatingly bad. It seems that the performance gets worse when there are 1) many cards on the field 2) there are many triggers to go through, regardless of whether or not they are mine 3) there are lots of foils. Number 3 seems to be the worst issue I have.
I don't know how I could make the client run better. I have everything updated, my system was built for heavy gaming...
Earlier I played a 4 player Commander game and almost lost to the clock. 1 player quit early, the other 2 players played foils and there were many triggers involved. Towards the end, it was painstaking to even tap lands. Let alone activate abilities and the like. Fortunately, I beat the last player with 30 seconds on the timer. While admittedly, this added to the excitement of the game, I'd rather not have any more close calls. At least, not if I can help it. Wink
Anyone know why my client performance would be so bad? I should also mention I have 50mb down and 5mb up internet, so it's not 'cause of my "DSL"...
One last question, how is performance in the beta client? I think I'm going to download it to check it out. It can't hurt.
Few things.

It's better to have the "do not show foil animations" option off which makes games run smoother.

MtgO does not require a "good" computer but does require a good internet connection (meaning you do not have multiple routers or a router not setup for online gaming - port forwarding etc.). Firewalls and similiar programs can make the experiance slower also. 5mb upload is not fantastic but it should suffice.

The beta is... much worse that the live client. Since it's a small download and a quick install (and you can have both clients installed at the same time) try that and see if it's better in any way.

Also see here:

wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...

Edit: Also braging about your super duper computer will make other people indiferent to you and thus probably won't want to help you out.
Few things.

It's better to have the "do not show foil animations" option off which makes games run smoother.

MtgO does not require a "good" computer but does require a good internet connection (meaning you do not have multiple routers or a router not setup for online gaming - port forwarding etc.). Firewalls and similiar programs can make the experiance slower also. 5mb upload is not fantastic but it should suffice.

The beta is... much worse that the live client. Since it's a small download and a quick install (and you can have both clients installed at the same time) try that and see if it's better in any way.

Also see here:

wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...

Edit: Also braging about your super duper computer will make other people indiferent to you and thus probably won't want to help you out.

Wasn't my intention to brag. Just meant it's very unlikely a performance issue with my PC. 5mb upload isn't spectacular but I'd imagine it's well above average.
I tried the beta, it's pretty bad. Runs very smoothly when it runs but crashes a lot. I'll see if turning off foil animations will save the day. I suspect as much and had forgotten there was an option to turn those off. Thanks!
One thing you might try is forcing MTGO_NET.exe to use a single core.  Other than that I suggest Process Explorer to see if you can figure out exactly what is bogging down the performance.  Searching a large deck often causes a bit of lag but it's a few seconds, not thirty+.

Did you know F7 will cause all like triggers to auto-stack?  If you have several different ones in the window you still must click until all that are left are the same but it's better than nothing.

This space intentionally left blank.