Pit Fight with Combat Abilities

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do abilites like first strike or deathtouch apply when I use a fight card like Pit Fight?
Deathtouch, Lifelink, Infect, and Wither are the only keyword abilities that apply to fighting.
I should of clarified, If I have a creature with first strike Disciple of the Old Ways fighting a creature without first strike Grizzly Bears does the one with first strike still hit first?
I should of clarified, If I have a creature with first strike Disciple of the Old Ways fighting a creature without first strike Grizzly Bears does the one with first strike still hit first?

No. First strike does not apply to fighting.
Deathtouch, Lifelink, Infect, and Wither are the only keyword abilities that apply to fighting.

and Protection can apply too.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Protection works - ie, creature has protection from Centaurs, I can't play prey upon to target my centaur to wipe out that creature.

But what about flying creatures?  Straight up 4/4 centaur against 4/4 flyer - 1) could they be targeted to fight, and 2) confirm they both die

But what about flying creatures?  Straight up 4/4 centaur against 4/4 flyer - 1) could they be targeted to fight?

yes, it just says target creature you control and target creature (for Pit Fight) you don't control (for Prey Upon)
and 2) confirm they both die

they would each deal 4 damage to the other and SBA's would destroy them both

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

But what about flying creatures?  Straight up 4/4 centaur against 4/4 flyer - 1) could they be targeted to fight, and 2) confirm they both die

As 2goth4u pointed out, i forgot that there are keyworded prevention effects, so my list needs to add Protection and Absorb. But that adjustment doesn't add flying to the list.

Flying only affects the what blocks are legal in the Declare Blockers step. It does nothing to fighting. Each of the 4/4 creatures deals 4 damage to the other, and they both are destroyed.
To summarize: the only Keywords that interact with Fight are things that change the amount (Protection, Absorb) or kind (Infect, Wither, Lifelink, Deathtouch) of damage being dealt. Keywords that affect the rules of Combat (First/Double Strike), Blocking (Flying, Reach) or anything else (anything else) don't interact with Fight at all.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

To summarize: the only Keywords that interact with Fight are things that change the amount (Protection, Absorb) or kind (Infect, Wither, Lifelink, Deathtouch) of damage being dealt. Keywords that affect the rules of Combat (First/Double Strike), Blocking (Flying, Reach) or anything else (anything else) don't interact with Fight at all.

Rule of Thumb: would this ability affect Prodigal Pyromancer's or Spikeshot Elder's ability? Then it also affects "fight" damage. The difference here is, the other creature fights back.

[<o>]
Protection works - ie, creature has protection from Centaurs, I can't play prey upon to target my centaur to wipe out that creature. 

You can play Prey Upon just fine.  The damage dealt by your Centaur to its Protection-from-Centaurs foe is bound to be reduced to zero (unless something is stopping damage prevention, like a Skullcrack)... but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from playing Prey Upon, because the only thing targetting the Protection from Centaurs creature is the Prey Upon spell, not a Centaur.

Rule of Thumb: would this ability affect Prodigal Pyromancer's or Spikeshot Elder's ability? Then it also affects "fight" damage. The difference here is, the other creature fights back.

It's rules-of-thumb like that that cause the confusion above.  Prodigal Pyromancer and Spikeshot Elder have creature effects that target the creature-under-attack, and so cannot even 'engage' a creature that has protection from them (because they can't target it).  Prey Upon *can* make a Wizard fight a Protection-From-Wizards creature (even though the Wizard's damage will ordinarily get reduced to 0) - Prodigal Pyromancer can't even try to ping a Protection from Wizards creature.
The key thing to remember (or at least a key thing) is that, despite being almost synonyms in English, "fighting" and "combat" mean totally different things in Magic, with only superficial similarities.

When creatures fight, they simply deal damage to each other equal to their power. That is all that is going on, and most of the time when people get confused about fighting, it's because they're assuming it must be more complicated than it is. None of the steps of combat are followed - there is no attacking, no blocking, no combat damage step(s) and no defending player. Those concepts simply don't apply. And so neither do abilities that depend on them, like Flying, First Strike and Trample. The rules for Flying specifically mention blocking, but there is no blocking going on. Similarly, First Strike changes the rules for combat damage steps, but in a fight there are no combat damage steps to change the rules for, and Trample is all about who the defending player is, but there is no defending player. And so on.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

"Flying" is an exception to the rules of "blocking creature", "Trample" and, to a certain extent "(double) strike" are an exception to the "assign combat damage" rules, etc, etc...

Fights only take into account the damage coming from the creatures, so protection, lifelink, deathtouch, wither, infect... all apply...

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.