Dreaming up Cards: Precognition Engine

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Edit: Minor Wording Fix

Precognition Engine
Artifact R
At the beginning of each upkeep, each player may reveal any number of cards from his or her hand.
Players can't play cards with names other than the names of cards they revealed this turn.
It doesn't predict the future; it shapes the future to match its predictions.

[sblock Old Version]Precognition Engine
Artifact R
At the beginning of each turn, each player may reveal any number of cards from his or her hand.
Players can't play cards with names other than the names of cards they revealed this turn.
It doesn't predict the future; it shapes the future to match its predictions.[/sblock]

How much is this supposed to cost? Also, if this were a colored effect, what color would it be in? I think this effect would be like bluish or maybe whitish. But I can see it going in green.

Also, I used a semicolon. I'm so clever.
Ours is a vengeful god.
This is a very reactive card, so I'd say white or blue fits best. They also seem to be the colors best at denying spells.

Precognition Engine
Artifact
At the beginning of each upkeep, each player may reveal any number of cards from his or her hand. This turn, each player can't play cards that don't have the same name as a card he or she revealed this way.
Rules Advisor
Should be "At the beginning of each upkeep, ..."

I think it should cost 1 more just to be safe. But it's probably ok at 4.

I think it would be either blue or white. Probably white if you change the flavor.

I like it. :>
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

But, but, Dosan the Falling Leaf!

He's green!
Ours is a vengeful god.
This card is more like an enhanced Telepathy. Your opponent has to let you know what they're doing before they do it.
Rules Advisor
This card is more like an enhanced Telepathy. Your opponent has to let you know what they're doing before they do it.

But so do you.

I agree that it's probably blue though. I just like being difficult.
Ours is a vengeful god.
nah it's white

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Isn't this just a fancy way of saying "Players can't play cards they drew this turn"? Granted, that wording doesn't work. I'm just wondering if this was intended to do anything else that I was missing.

Anyway, cool card.  
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Isn't this just a fancy way of saying "Players can't play cards they drew this turn"? Granted, that wording doesn't work. I'm just wondering if this was intended to do anything else that I was missing.

tricks. if I want to counter your spells this turn I need to tell you I'm gonna. if I want to pump my creatures in combat I need to show you it.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

nah it's white

Oracle en-Vec

I was trying to come up with some sort of precignition myself

perhaps, the player must declare which spells they plan to cast.

tricks. if I want to counter your spells this turn I need to tell you I'm gonna. if I want to pump my creatures in combat I need to show you it.

It's very mindgamey. There are also ways to get around this card, such as abilities that work from the hand like Bloodrush.
Ours is a vengeful god.
Here's my take on an alternate version of this card.

Precognition Engine
Artifact
At the beginning of each upkeep, each player may exile any number of cards from his or her hand. At the beginning of the next end step, return all cards exiled this way to their owners' hands.
Each player can play cards he or she owns exiled with Precognition Engine. Players can't play any other cards.
Rules Advisor