Why no Dega builds?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I feel Like Dega is just as nicely positioned in the format as American builds are right now. Only trading off Blue's card advantage for Black's card advantage. And gaining some very powerful spells along with it. I havent quite gotten to being able to create three-color decks yet but I figure nows as good a time as any to start trying to learn how to.

UPDATED:

Land: 23

4 Godless Shrine
4 Blood Crypt
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Clifftop Retreat
1 Vault of the Archangel
2 Mountain

Creatures: 11

3 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Olivia Voldaren
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Geist-Honored Monk

Spells: 23

3 Blind Obedience
3 Dreadbore
3 Lingering Souls
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Searing Spear
3 Pillar of Flame
3 Duress

Planeswalkers: 3

1 Liliana of the Veil
2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

As you can see it needs abit of work. There are just so many good cards its hard to fit them all in a 60 card deck lol. Any help trying to mature the list would be apreciated here.
For starters, remove all Contaminated Ground and add 2 Boros Reckoner and some more one and 2 drops. All I see is you not being able to play anything till about turn 3 and no real way to stop aggro decks. Also remove 1 Liliana of the Veil and add 1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad 
Contaminated Ground is a two drop and it might be greedy but It does screw the mana base of most decks in this format preventing aggro decks from playing many of their cratures turn two. Combine that with Blind Obediance which is again another two drop and dreadbore for any real threats, another two drop, and the fact that im not taking life from lands turn one and I should be able to reliable survive untill a bonfire or terminus shows up. Its meant to be more of a control deck not and aggro deck. Thats the thinking behind my choices atleast. Maybe I should trade out Reckoner for some Vampire Nighthawks instead?
I tried an Exalted Dega/Oros build not long ago.  I probably didn't quite have the right mix of cards, but it didn't go well at all.  It was mainly straight up Orzhov Exalted with some Red thrown in for Dreadbore, and I think one or two other removal cards (maybe Slaughter Games and Mizzium Mortars).  I think I ended up going 0-5 that night at FNM.  I *might* have won one match, but that's it.  Essentially the forumla for my Exalted decks is 64 cards total:  24 lands, 12 removal/kill spells, 4 Essence Harvest, and the rest of the cards have the Exalted keyword to build up the one creature that attacks.  Granted, I didn't have a single Black/White dual colored land (which would have really helped), so that may have been an issue as well.

SG
Contaminated Ground is a two drop and it might be greedy but It does screw the mana base of most decks in this format preventing aggro decks from playing many of their cratures turn two. Combine that with Blind Obediance which is again another two drop and dreadbore for any real threats, another two drop, and the fact that im not taking life from lands turn one and I should be able to reliable survive untill a bonfire or terminus shows up. Its meant to be more of a control deck not and aggro deck. Thats the thinking behind my choices atleast. Maybe I should trade out Reckoner for some Vampire Nighthawks instead?

No, remove contaminated ground. PERIOD.
Put a creature in instead. Maybe Knight of Infamy
I play Avacyn's Pilgrim turn 1, you play contaminated ground turn2 and I play farseek and get the land I want on turn 2 for a total of 3 lands turn 2 and can still be aggro and not use the contaminated land.
i stopped reading at contaminated ground

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

What is so bad about Contaminated Ground.  For the decks I've played (at least pre-Gatecrash) at my local shop, Contaminated Ground would be excellent against the meta there.

SG
Excpet I just turned your Green-source land into a swamp. Good luck casting Farseek with a black and white mana source. IF you have the second green source then thats fine and all; I would just sideboard it out for something else. But with how many Naya and Mono red aggro lists there are; including tribal humans that rely on Cavern of Souls to fix their mana, I dont think contaminated ground is such a bad card that it cant be played "PERIOD". Albeit I will take any contructive suggestions as to what to replace it with. Knight of Infamy is a solid choice but seems really bad against any matchup without white, and JUND seems to be creeping back into Standard now so I would consider it more of a sideboard card. Knight of Glory might even be better considering that. 
I think their point is that it's a dead draw later in the game where it doesn't matter, and it doesn't work as well against decks that already use Black.
That, and there are probably better options in your colors to screw with their casting.
Replace ground with searing spear so you can screw what they play instead of what tthey might play.
i stopped reading at contaminated ground

Again no thanks for a completely unhelpful or even related comment.
I made a few changes to try and make it more ealry game freindly and also assist in locking down the late game. Yes the contaminated ground are still in and yes they are still maindeck.

+3 Vampire Nighthawk
+4 Searing Spear
+1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
+1 Sphere of Safety

-1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
-1 Lingering Souls
-1 Blind Obedience
-1 Boros Reckoner
-1 Liliana of the Veil

I think thats all of it.

Other than the the sideboard is still loose untill I can play with it. Slaughter Games and both knights are about it for now.

Any HELPFUL comments are still greatly apreciated.

Edit: Last minue actually

-1 more Liliana
-1 Terminus

for 2 more Boros Reckoner.

Any HELPFUL comments are still greatly apreciated.

These comments have all been helpful, if not in the way you hoped.

Contaminated Ground is bad because:

1) you are banking on them not needed black mana.
2) you need it early to have any effect, and it can be ignored after that player has found another land.
3) Good aggro decks are not built greedily (lots of double color dudes) so they will just pay the 2 life and use it as colorless, or just drop another land and ignore it.
3) It is a completely dead card late game.
4) It does not deal with any threats already on the board.

Spreading Seas was played because it is a cantrip and there were lots of spell-lands and manlands it dealt with. Contaminated Grounds is like a fart in an airplane: annoying, rude, but ultimately has no impact on the flight.
Well then lets assume it's out. Ill update the list with how it looks right now then.
Well then lets assume it's out. Ill update the list with how it looks right now then.

Once again, contaminated ground cannot be played, PERIOD

Some other 2 drop suggestions:

Devour Flesh = Get rid of Geist of Saint Traft
Rakdos's Return
Sign in Blood
The list was updated; Contaminated Ground is no longer in. Devour Flesh is in the sideboard right now and may shift in and out depending on the meta. Rakdos's Return is already a 2-of in the deck. As for Sign in Blood, currently the deks ealry game has been dedicated to removal. And with 4 Boros Reckoner the double black is alittle tricky turn anway. And to be honest im just not sure where it would fit. Any suggestions? With that being said though ill go ahead and list what im starting to consider for sideboard

Blasphemous Act - Great with reckoner and even without relying on my oponents strategy cards like Lingering Souls and Assemble the Legion makes it reasonable to cast on my own. Maybe 1 or two against aggro and wheenie decks.

Devour Flesh - Obvious; hexproof tech

Knight of Infamy - Tech against White decks

Knight of Glory - Against Black decks

Rest in Peace - Again, obvious

Zealous Conscripts - Not sure if it fits in this deck but maybe one or two against decks running fatties and planeswalkers?

Slaughter Games - good for anything unexpected I dont like playing against