I just invented a new subformat for standard

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have to give the lion's share of the credit to its rightful owner; boredom.

So here's how it goes:
1:Get 2 players.  If you're reading this, you're probably a magic player, so you're already halfway there.
2:  The players take turns naming standard legal cards to the banlist.  They do this until each player has banned 4 cards.
3:  The players take turns naming standard legal cards to be added to their card pool.  This lasts until each player has added 4 cards to their pool.  You can't pick cards that have been banned or picked by your opponent.
4:  Repeat steps 2 and 3.
5:  Each player proxies up 4 of every card they picked, and makes a 40 card deck with as many of those cards as they want and any number of basic lands.  All remaining cards are added to the sideboard.
6:  Players complain about their opponents picking thragtusk/thundermaw

EDIT:  no banning/picking basic lands. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Step 6 is impossible because of step 2.
I'm with Frostr on this one. Otherwise your format actually sounds like a lot of fun, honestly, at least something to be tried.
what if instead of naming cards in step 2 and 3 you gathered all of the good cards and assigned them a number, then used a random number generator to randomly pick off cards until you can make a 40 card deck, it would be like russian roulette for magic...
what if instead of naming cards in step 2 and 3 you gathered all of the good cards and assigned them a number, then used a random number generator to randomly pick off cards until you can make a 40 card deck, it would be like russian roulette for magic...

Mana issues...

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
This actually sounds like something fun.

(at)MrEnglish22

Would anyone care to play this over (a certain program)?

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
dibs, right now 

(at)MrEnglish22

Just playtested with jman.

My deck:

4 Evolving Wilds
2 Azorius Charm
4 Lingering Souls
4 Negate
4 Dissipate
4 Jace, Architect of Thought
4 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Psychic Spiral
2 Swamp
7 Island
4 Plains
SB: 3 Psychic Spiral
SB: 2 Azorius Charm

He won 2-0 by shutting down my wincons, and because I lacked answers to on-board threats.

I'm starting to think that it should involve more picks and a 60 card deck. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

bans:
Me-Thragtusk
Cat-Thundermaw
Falkenrath Aristocrat
Loxodon Smiter
Ash Zealot
Huntmaster of the Fells
Snapcaster Mage
Hellrider

Drafts:
Cato- Lingering Souls
Me- Resto Angel
Cat- Sphinx's Revelations
Me- Jace Memory Adept
Cat- Jace, Architect of Thought
Me- Illness in the Ranks
Cat- Azorious Charm
Me- Crypt Ghast

Round 2 Bans:
Me- Tamiyo
Cato- Cavern of Souls
Me- Supreme Verdict
Cato- Gavony Township
Me- Nephalia Drownyard
Cato- Liliana of the Veil
Me- Forbidden Alchemy
Cato- Dryad Militant

Drafts Part 2:
Cato- Evolving Wilds
Me- Hallowed Fountain
Cato- Dissipate
Me- Godless Shrine
Cato- Negate
Me- Griselbrand
Cato- Psychic Spiral
Me- Witchbane Orb

My deck:
4 Witchbane Orb
4 Crypt Ghast
4 Resto Angel
4 Griselbrand
3 Illness in the Ranks
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Godless Shrine
2 Island
7 Swamp
4 Jace Memory Adept

Game 1 turn 1 Ilness, Turn 4 Witchbane and I killed all his Jace's.
Game 2, I gained about 16 life off Crypt Ghasts (double activated Griselbrand, and ended the game at 14) and ended up getting Witchbane Orb into play with some flying blockers.

I think that both 40 and 60 would have their merits. With 40 you have to build more in mind for limited I think, and you need diverse wincons.
I think 60 would be awkward because there would be a lot of cards both players would want (lands come to mind first)

Also, we agreed no gatherer during draft/bans, no banning lands (obv) 

EDIT: And Jace, Memory Adept is stupid overpowered. Probably needs to be gentleman's banned. I think the best part was when I banned Snapcaster and cato said something along the lines of "Seriously? That isn't even a real card!"

(at)MrEnglish22

I was surprised that he banned snapcaster during the first round of bannings when it hasn't been heavily played since delver (although it DOES see some play in u/w flash, it isn't the sort of thing you ban with sphinx's revelation in the pool).

Game 2 I managed to get enough chumps to ult my jace to get his jace to mill out the remaining 5 cards in his library.  Unfortunately, he'd drawn all his jaces, so I lost anyways.

I'm starting to think that there should be a deck size of 60 (to reduce the power of big jace and the chance of drawing specific cards) and a lot more picks (to allow for more speculative and sb picks, and mana fixing picks).

I'm thinking something like:

3 bans
5 picks

3 bans
5 picks

3 bans
5 picks 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
You must have missed me touting how Esper Control is incredible, and I also figured that it would be best to just ban it so you don't go super removal+snapcaster .dec. 
Was also surprised that you picked Revelations, because we only had 40 card decks.

I think first round should be 4 bans and the second 2 be 3, or maybe have the second round be 4. I think 10 bans each is the good number though. Think 15 picks might be a bit high, though. You only need 9 to realistically have a 60 card deck (9 4-ofs and 24 basics). Six bonus picks just leaves a lot of liklihood for people to just draft a 9-4 deck and then hate pick for the other 6 picks
It also sucked having to spend two of my picks on shocklands, but I'm really happy I did in hindsight.

(at)MrEnglish22

You must have missed me touting how Esper Control is incredible, and I also figured that it would be best to just ban it so you don't go super removal+snapcaster .dec. 
Was also surprised that you picked Revelations, because we only had 40 card decks.

I think first round should be 4 bans and the second 2 be 3, or maybe have the second round be 4. I think 10 bans each is the good number though. Think 15 picks might be a bit high, though. You only need 9 to realistically have a 60 card deck (9 4-ofs and 24 basics). Six bonus picks just leaves a lot of liklihood for people to just draft a 9-4 deck and then hate pick for the other 6 picks
It also sucked having to spend two of my picks on shocklands, but I'm really happy I did in hindsight.

Well, you have to remember that with a 60 card deck you'll proabably want to spend 3 or so picks on fixing.  That leaves 3 picks for either sb tech or extra picks to cover your picking screwups so you don't end up having to play cards that you picked early but didn't end up fitting in your deck.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
This sounds hilarious.
This sounds hilarious.

It is.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

Well, you have to remember that with a 60 card deck you'll proabably want to spend 3 or so picks on fixing.  That leaves 3 picks for either sb tech or extra picks to cover your picking screwups so you don't end up having to play cards that you picked early but didn't end up fitting in your deck.

The problem is, this means that people are going to be first picking Shocklands or lose. Its just awkward.
Maybe put some "freebie" picks in there, like 1 or 2, that people can all have at. Like the last pick in the second round could be one where everyone can just pick the same card if they need to.

I just know that its going to come up that there'll be the guy going for G/R and just start picking the opp's shock lands to hose them. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Huh, that's novel- it's like the ranked queues in League of Legends, just with standard cards in a half-constructed fashion.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Huh, that's novel- it's like the ranked queues in League of Legends, just with standard cards in a half-constructed fashion.

Yeah, because league of legends so so novel its self.

I actually got the idea from watching dota 2. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Wow, a format that my non-serious mtg friends might actually want to play. It's easier than fine-tuning mediocre decks so they win enough to stay interested.

You've made other format versions before right? Got links?

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Kids these days... not knowing what dota is. For shame.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

easy... ban all sweepers and draft nothing but fat.  doesn't even have to be good fat

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Sign In to post comments