What to play?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
For LFR Paragon adventure, 11th and 12th-level characters, in a party with a solid Psion and Archer Ranger, decent fighter ...and an Avenger and Artificer, Would you rather take a good Melee Ranger to solidify the front line and do damage yourself or a ranged Resourceful Warlord to boost everyone else at the table?

With the Warlord and Ranger Initiative boosters, the Ranger is almost invariably going to go first each encounter, so he will Nova at the top of Round 2. I can also make every other character at the table better with buffs/bonuses.
In your shoes I'd pick the warlord.
Personally with a setup like that with all the bases covered, I'd probably play some CharOp-reviled quirky 5th man build that isn't exactly optimal, but can pull its weight and be a lot of fun to boot.

But yeah, that's just me. The actual answer is Warlord. Again.
Vampire.  You know you want to. Tongue Out
Personally with a setup like that with all the bases covered, I'd probably play some CharOp-reviled quirky 5th man build that isn't exactly optimal, but can pull its weight and be a lot of fun to boot.

Hybrid fighter|rogue brawler.  Lots of fun, and rather effective.  It's actually quite amazing when paired with a good Fighter.  You grab the thing and continually riposte strike it, and now it can either attack you and get hit by the fighter, or attack the fighter and get hit by you.  Paragon is enough to get all the requisite feats.  It really is a true hybrid, halfway between a defender and a striker on both defense and damage output, but it's also a brutal single-target controller.  I made a thread on it, Ground and Pound.  Been playing it for about five levels now, and had a blast.  Works great in teams, but can stand on its own when needed.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Warlord if you rebuilt your warlord to actually do what a warlord does and grant some attacks. The Avenger and Fighter will enjoy that. Otherwise, Ranger is fine. But since you're sixth man, and every role is already covered, pretty much anything will work.
Warlord or Warchanter Bard would be my top picks.
Hybrid melee ranger|warlord  
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Sorcerer, 'cause you know you want to.
I have yet to play a Sorcerer or a Vampire but yeah, I do want to play a Sorcerer at some point. Tongue Out  

The two characters I mentioned are ones I've gotten that far already (I also have a Battle Cleric but he's more self-reliant). "Granting" Warlords are not a good choice in this "group" as table content changes month-to-month and there are times when you won't have decent basic attackers to work with. This is the same "group" where the guy who had an attack-granter was stuck using my Seeker as the best target for his granted MELEE attacks a couple of times (thank you low-heroic-tier Battlemind). It tends to be range-heavy and build quality is all over the place.

Try out Caz's firegoat.  I did at level 7 and it was a blast.

The sorc at my table tried the build out as well, he seemed pleased and it looked fun.  I'd second this option.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
So is Warlord, the CharOp version of '42?'

No no no no no. This is a gamer forum, all you had to was write "... it was a burst" for a pun level appropriate for the forums!
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Why, did that oversight burst your bubble?
I think it got his goat.
Bet someone's feeling sheepish.
Baaaah, humbug?
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Now things are just getting Scrooged up.
You are all fired...
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
You are all fired...

Well, that trumps what I was going to do.

Then you should be pelted with a dead opossum and possibly branded a monkey's uncle.

No no no no no. This is a gamer forum, all you had to was write "... it was a burst" for a pun level appropriate for the forums!

I almost did, it was a close one.
Sign In to post comments