Ways to get marked?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
No, the thread title isn't a typo - I'm looking for ways to consistently get marked by enemies, without depending on team monster's composition. The reason why is the Primal Power Barbarian feat, Targeted Assault, which gives you a +2 bonus to attack rolls against enemies who've marked you. Needless to say, the penalty this feat gives out is absolutely trivial if you can reliably leverage the bonus, since you'll smoke your enemy super duper fast with an extra 10% hitchance that stacks with everything else, to the point the mark might not even have time to apply. So, anyone got any ideas on how to milk this feat for what it's worth?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
All I've got is Draw their Eyes, but this is nothing new for you. Maybe a Barb|Warlord version of Fenix?
...Let's see. 1d8+9 bonus to damage off a move action, +2 attack bonus. Jeeze. Every time I think that Warlord power isn't good enough for Striking it turns around and becomes more hilarious than before. If it could be refreshed twice per fight, I'd be on the build instantly, really. That's a silly amount of firepower!
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Martial Mastery says hi.
Spending Martial Mastery on an utility power seems like a losing deal, though. Why take Draw Their Eyes when you could take, I don't know, Hail of Steel and pump more damage out that way?
Spending Martial Mastery on an utility power seems like a losing deal, though. Why take Draw Their Eyes when you could take, I don't know, Hail of Steel and pump more damage out that way?

Well, there are lots of options that grant things much better than a +2 to hit at the cost of a feat
...Let's see. 1d8+9 bonus to damage off a move action, +2 attack bonus. Jeeze. Every time I think that Warlord power isn't good enough for Striking it turns around and becomes more hilarious than before. If it could be refreshed twice per fight, I'd be on the build instantly, really. That's a silly amount of firepower!

Where does the 1d8 come from? I thought Draw their Eyes was just +Str.
Savage Growl was thrown in the mix too, as regular part of the nova combination.
This thread got me tinkering with this combo. I'm working with a starting 11th level character for LFR:
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 11
Dragonborn, Warlord|Barbarian
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Will
Hybrid Talent: Feral Might
Feral Might: Thaneborn Triumph
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 15.

AC: 26 Fort: 24 Reflex: 17 Will: 26
HP: 85 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +7, Heal +5, History +6, Insight +5, Intimidate +12, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +10, Thievery +5, Athletics +11

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Chainmail
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Superior Will
Level 6: Master at Arms
Level 11: Combat Commander

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Howling Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Vengeance is Mine
Hybrid utility 2: Savage Growl
Hybrid encounter 7: Curtain of Steel
Hybrid utility 10: Draw Their Eyes

ITEMS
Karach Braidmail Armor +3, Amulet of Vigor +2, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Magic Falchion +3, Magic Greatsword +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Unsure as to best options for Theme, PP, and remaining feats and powers. Also unsure of whether to start with falchion or greatsword, or spend a feat for a superior weapon.

Haunted Blade theme would patch initiative, but otherwise lackluster. Sohei is always nice for the minor attack to add to the nova. 

For PPs, Dragon Marshal would potentially be a quad tap encounter power (2 for me, 2 MBA's for allies), but the rest of the path is garbage. Shadow Captain's AP feature adds more damage to the nova round, and has a double tap encounter power, but the second attack lacks a damage roll (unless playing with the interpretation that extra damage dice constitute a damage roll), and the rest of the path is ok, except for the u12 which would be useless. For a feat, Zephyr Warchief has a very nice AP feature, and the 16th feature would enable at-will charging with the added shift, plus the u12 is like a suped up reorient, but the attack powers and 11th feature are meh.

Thoughts? 

It's sort of trite because everyone on CharOp will point this out, but you should seriously consider Honorable Blade as your PP. Set damage type to cold and frostcheese, or fire and Firewind Blade. Firewind Blade obviously calls for a heavy blade (honestly, just longsword it and put your offhand slot to good use), but if you're going the frostcheese route, consider rapier. Light Blade Expertise basically brings it up to Bastard Sword tier.
It's sort of trite because everyone on CharOp will point this out, but you should seriously consider Honorable Blade as your PP. Set damage type to cold and frostcheese, or fire and Firewind Blade. Firewind Blade obviously calls for a heavy blade (honestly, just longsword it and put your offhand slot to good use), but if you're going the frostcheese route, consider rapier. Light Blade Expertise basically brings it up to Bastard Sword tier.

Well the rapier isn't versatile, so it can't be wielded two-handed for the barbarian at-will, plus lack of dex on the character for the rest of the usual light blade feats...But honorable blade is still worth consideration for the free damage changing, although the powers and other features are pretty lackluster. Without vulnerability to tap, firewind blade isn't as impressive, and since this build doesn't really have anything better to do it could just use a frost weapon. 
If nothing else, Honorable Blade at least lets you pull off frostcheese while using a jagged weapon, which is valuable for a Barbarian. I hadn't actually considered that you needed a two-handed weapon for Howling Strike. Greatsword or Falchion (the latter of which might open a Carnage Weapon as a option) is probably fine, though people will keep telling you to buy proficiency in Gouge.
Carnage isn't great, especially not on a falchion. Common mistake. A "damage die" of a weapon refers to [W], even when [W] has multiple dice. It's in the RC, and goes back to the PHB as well, it's just commonly overlooked.

So actually, to get the extra damage with a falchion, you need to roll an 8 (1/16 chance).
I would sooner take something different from ViM all things considered. If possible, probably a standard action power, since Curtain of Steel covers the first smack, and afterward other options (like strikebacks) can get you your immediate. For your E3, you of course want Thundering Howl. I'd heavily consider taking out Feral Might, BTW - I feel like there is more to gain from going all in with a warlord presence than any other options (for one, you get presence tricks, and on top of that it can potentially free up feats depending on the choice of secondary).

For themes, it's a toughie, because as a Warlord, believe me when I say 'hoo boy, are you gonna have issues with your minors'. Off the top of my head, all these things potentially compete for your minor action slot:

A) A Rock And a Hard Place, if you are Tactical Presence'd. Considering the ludicrous amounts of damage this can deal, it is your definitive minor action for big fights to open them with.
B) Inspiring Word/Rousing Words. Because you need to keep yourself up, or your buddies.
C) Dragon's Tenacity. 'Cause why not, you can basically manufacture guaranteed hits on 2 once you combine the cheapo power bonus with Draw Their Eyes.
D) Any other number of random things I might have forgotten.

Which means Sohei is amazing since you're adding a crapton of damage with that extra swing, but really damn hard to fit into your turn overall all things considered. Ironwrought meanwhile has no action cost and give you that welcome reroll and an accuracy bonus, so it's hard to make the choice. One of those two is for sure the best choice though.

As for a PP, the obvious picks are either Winterfury or White Raven if you can cluster your party. The latter is tricky, though, but there's something sweet about getting the party together and then really unleashing hell on a poor bast- I mean target.
Carnage isn't great, especially not on a falchion. Common mistake. A "damage die" of a weapon refers to [W], even when [W] has multiple dice. It's in the RC, and goes back to the PHB as well, it's just commonly overlooked.

So actually, to get the extra damage with a falchion, you need to roll an 8 (1/16 chance).

Still not true.
Still not true.

"Weapon's damage die" = [W], even when [W] is an expression of multiple dice. It's not even a subtle argument, it's explicitly stated on RC 273 (and RC 223, and PHB 219, and probably more places).
How about Arkhosian Blademaster at higher levels combined with some way of reducing the action cost of second wind? Getting to Storm of Blades twice as part of the nova at 16 would have to count for something...Maybe change to Mul if building in epic to have 2 free action second winds per encounter so you could:

Move Action: Draw Their Eyes
Minor Action: something
Standard Action: Storm of Blades (Hurricane at higher levels)+Free Action: Savage Growl first hit
Free Action: Second Wind recharging Storm of Blades
AP
Standard Action: Storm/Hurricane again

Next turn second wind again to storm/hurricane a third time. 
Still not true.

"Weapon's damage die" = [W], even when [W] is an expression of multiple dice. It's not even a subtle argument, it's explicitly stated on RC 273 (and RC 223, and PHB 219, and probably more places).

Still not true and you posting the section of the rules you're misreading (again) doesn't make it so.
No, Alcestis is right.

Carnage property:

"When you roll the maximum result on at least one of this weapon’s damage dice, the target takes extra damage equal to twice the weapon’s enhancement bonus."

If we go by your interpretation, that "this weapon's damage dice" means the [W] of the mundane weapon the enchantment is placed on then "this weapon's damage dice" cannot be plural.  It is and can only be [W].  Ever.  And so not only is the word "dice" wrong, the "at least one" part ceases to have any meaning whatsoever.

If, instead, "this weapons damage dice" means the dice that the magic weapon is dealing in damage, then the wording actually is grammatically correct, and the property has all of the words in it ("at least one" being the most important part) actually function.

Regardless of what you think the RC says about weapons and damage dice, the property says how it works, and how it works only is how it says if you go with the latter interpretation.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
No, Alcestis is right.

Carnage property:

"When you roll the maximum result on at least one of this weapon’s damage dice, the target takes extra damage equal to twice the weapon’s enhancement bonus."

If we go by your interpretation, that "this weapon's damage dice" means the [W] of the mundane weapon the enchantment is placed on then "this weapon's damage dice" cannot be plural.  It is and can only be [W].  Ever.  And so not only is the word "dice" wrong, the "at least one" part ceases to have any meaning whatsoever.

If, instead, "this weapons damage dice" means the dice that the magic weapon is dealing in damage, then the wording actually is grammatically correct, and the property has all of the words in it ("at least one" being the most important part) actually function.

Regardless of what you think the RC says about weapons and damage dice, the property says how it works, and how it works only is how it says if you go with the latter interpretation.

What erachima said. "At least one of this weapon's damage dice" = "at least one [W] of this weapon." It can still be plural, because it is entirely possible (and common) for damage rolls to have more than one [W] get rolled.

If it strikes you as gramatically incorrect then I think you're seriously overthinking it.
How does this little barney interact with Brutal?

Also, how do you know which dice of the whole mess of identical d6s or 4s or whatever you're rolling, are a given [W]?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Brutal is a good point.

A brutal weapon’s minimum damage is higher than that of a normal weapon. When rolling the weapon’s damage, reroll any die that displays a value equal to or lower than the brutal value given for the weapon. Reroll the die until the value shown exceeds the weapon’s brutal value, and then use the new value.

Under your interpretation, a Mordenkrad can't function, because 2d6 B1 can't ever come up 1.
Both are valid readings.   As such, we need to wait for a FAQ or errata (i.e. it will never end).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Brutal is a good point.

A brutal weapon’s minimum damage is higher than that of a normal weapon. When rolling the weapon’s damage, reroll any die that displays a value equal to or lower than the brutal value given for the weapon. Reroll the die until the value shown exceeds the weapon’s brutal value, and then use the new value.

Under your interpretation, a Mordenkrad can't function, because 2d6 B1 can't ever come up 1.

Brutal doesn't say damage dice, which is a specific game term aka W, it says any die.

Not arguing either way at the moment, just pointing out this doesn't really have anything to do with Brutal. 
Brutal is a good point.

Different context. If it says "weapon's damage die," specifically, that has a very particularly defined meaning which is [W]. This isn't an interpretation, it's outright stated on RC 273. This is not the first time that they defined things in a particular way that didn't match with the colloquial usage (...and then caused problems later).

For brutal, the wording is slightly different, because it just refers to a die that is part of rolling damage, rather than the *specifically defined* phrase "weapon's damage die." It must be using the colloquial definition, because it talks about the displayed value of a die, which means it's referring to something physical and not the abstract [W] definition.

Yes, it's ugly. Overloading the definition of a word always ends up ugly (like we see with "attack" all the time). But otherwise you're outright ignoring a rule.

(For reference, from RC 273, emphasis added: "If the weapon's damage die is an expression of multiple dice, roll that number of dice the indicated number of times. For instance, a greatclub (which has a damage die of 2d4) ...")
Brutal uses the same language, it is relevant.

If "weapon's damage" in brutal means anything other than [W], then brutal would apply to that damage.  Except the consensus is that it doesn't, it only applies to [W], and that consensus has been rock-solid for ages.  Are you really prepared to say that rogues should try to get a brutal weapon to enhance their Sneak Attack damage?

The brutal ruling and the ruling saying that Carnage isn't as good with 2dX weapons are inconsistent, and not applying "weapon damage" in the same fashion.  Inconsistency is at least a reason to question the interpretation.
Brutal uses the same language, it is relevant.

If "weapon's damage" in brutal means anything other than [W], then brutal would apply to that damage.  Except the consensus is that it doesn't, it only applies to [W], and that consensus has been rock-solid for ages.  Are you really prepared to say that rogues should try to get a brutal weapon to enhance their Sneak Attack damage?

The brutal ruling and the ruling saying that Carnage isn't as good with 2dX weapons are inconsistent, and not applying "weapon damage" in the same fashion.  Inconsistency is at least a reason to question the interpretation.

No, they have different terms.

Carnage weapon = When you roll the maximum result on at least one of this weapon’s damage dice
Brutal = When rolling the weapon’s damage, reroll any die that displays a value equal to or lower than the brutal value given for the weapon. Reroll the die until the value shown exceeds the weapon’s brutal value, and then use the new value.

A die is not necessarily a damage dice. But a damage dice looks to be by RAW a W, even if potentially, they didn't mean that.
it's close but I have to agree it's not the same.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

How about Arkhosian Blademaster at higher levels combined with some way of reducing the action cost of second wind? Getting to Storm of Blades twice as part of the nova at 16 would have to count for something...Maybe change to Mul if building in epic to have 2 free action second winds per encounter so you could:

Move Action: Draw Their Eyes
Minor Action: something
Standard Action: Storm of Blades (Hurricane at higher levels)+Free Action: Savage Growl first hit
Free Action: Second Wind recharging Storm of Blades
AP
Standard Action: Storm/Hurricane again

Next turn second wind again to storm/hurricane a third time. 

Not really worth it because you could just take Epic Resurgence and feed yourself a crit. Assuming a mastery feat, three to four attacks gives you excellent chances of critting, at which points pretty much anything you hit is getting smoked. And if that's not good enough, eh - Storm of Blades AP DFTS/HoS/Whatever is good enough regardless, while at endgame Hurricane of Blades AP Storm of Blades is still a super fearsome nova.
Is near useless for your build but...

Focus Bind (Battlemind attack 19)
Daily        Psionic, Psychic, Weapon
Standard Action      Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Constitution vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Constitution modifier damage plus 3d10 psychic damage, and you mark the target until the end of the encounter. No other mark can supersede this mark unless you permit it.
Miss: Half damage, and you mark the target until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Until the mark imposed by this power ends, you are treated as if you are marked by the target, and whenever you or the target moves, the other can move the same number of squares as a free action or shift 1 square as a free action.
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
The compendium has 518 results for creatures + marked,
62 results for creatures + mark ... (idk if this matters).

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.