Invisiblity Mass, Nerfed a lot but still level 7

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
With this having recieved a huge nerf to range and AoE,  I don't think we can justify this being a level 7 spell, it's more in the line of the 3rd level spell invisiblity sphere with a bonus on cast range. Maybe similar nerfs has been done overall, but I reacted to this one being especially low powervise in comparision to the selection of other 7th level spells.

Added the new spell to compare. Not taking duration into account of course since it's handled differently now. But as you caqn see both cast range and the area which the targets may spread out has changed a lot.

The D&D Next Variant:
Show

Invisibility, Mass
7th-­level illusion

Effect:
Choose one creature within 100 feet of you. That creature and any creatures you choose within 20 feet of it become invisible. The creatures remain invisible until your concentration is broken, but for no longer than 10 minutes.

If any creature affected by this spell attacks or casts a spell that affects a creature other than itself, the effect immediately ends for all creatures affected by the spell. Furthermore, the spell ends for any affected creature that starts its turn more than 30 feet from any other creature affected by this spell.

The 3.5 Variant:
Show

Level:Sor/Wiz 7
Components:V, S, M
Casting time:1 standard action
Range:Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Targets:Any number of creatures, no two of which can be more than 180 ft. apart
Duration:1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw:Will negates (harmless) or Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance:Yes (harmless) or Yes (harmless, object)

The creature or object touched becomes invisible, vanishing from sight, even from darkvision. If the recipient is a creature carrying gear, that vanishes, too. If you cast the spell on someone else, neither you nor your allies can see the subject, unless you can normally see invisible things or you employ magic to do so.

The effect is mobile with the group and is broken when anyone in the group attacks. Individuals in the group cannot see each other. The spell is broken for any individual who moves more than 180 feet from the nearest member of the group.
Still makes everyone invisible

At its worst the range is less insanely huge

Didnt they nerf the spell ranges of every spell?
Well the main point was mostly to point out that I think it's a pretty weak spell for a 7th level spell. I could understand it being higher in earlier editions but then it also had the mega range.
What are you comparing it against? What other 7th-level spell can do what it does?
The metagame is not the game.
Of course we're not going to find four different variants of invisiblity in the play testers bracket, that arguement could be used to justify having mage armor as a level 7 spell.

With the new limitations added to it I just don't see it as being up there with the rest of the selection.
I get what you're saying, but it's really hard to quantify utility effects like this. I guess it does seem a little weak next to Greater Teleport, but I don't see how changing the range of the spell alters its utility all that much, unless you were planning to hide an army or something.
The metagame is not the game.
I get what you're saying, but it's really hard to quantify utility effects like this. I guess it does seem a little weak next to Greater Teleport, but I don't see how changing the range of the spell alters its utility all that much, unless you were planning to hide an army or something.

Which at, what, 15th level, you might well be?
How many soldiers can you pack in a 20 feet circle ?

I'm betting enough to make a difference if they're invissible.