DLCR: Domri Rade

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another GTC card to rate is...

Domri Rade

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This guy can be pretty good.  If you have a ton of creatures like most gruul decks do he first ability will generally get you something.  His 2nd ability can be pretty nice and if you can get his ultimate you've won.

Discuss! 
This seems like it should be remarkably good in Limited, where at least 40% of your deck is going to be creatures. But it also doesn't seem like it will be super helpful if you play him and you're already behind. Hmmm... I'll have to see him in action, but I will start him at 4.0.
MONEY CARD!!!

but seriously though, it's a pretty good PW, since it comes out so early. he CAN be a removal at 3, or a pick an extra card, but it forces the opponent to focus him sooner or later, and in a deck if you're playing him, chances are you can defend him well enough to make him a threat, or at least make him look like a threat.

He really wants a deck built around him though...

4.5, though I may be over zealous. Still, removal and CA is pretty sweet, and left untouched this will win you the game.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

4.5 fits him well. The fight ability justifies his status, and the card drawing is awesome. I have splashed this this as my only green non-hybrid. (Burning-tree emissionary into him)
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
5. Domri is a good man.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
4.25, I wpuld be willing to splash 1 color for him but no 2.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

5. Domri is a good man.

good teenager?
I like this guy at 4.5. All his abilities are useful and fit with his guild (Gruul) quite easily.

I haven't gotten to use him yet, but I'm hopeful.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
This seems like it should be remarkably good in Limited, where at least most 40% of your deck is going to be creatures. But it also doesn't seem like it will be super helpful if you play him and you're already behind. Hmmm... I'll have to see him in action, but I will start him at 4.0.

40% of your deck means 17 cards. You are not going to play at least 17 creatures, because that would mean at most 5 noncreature spells (dismissing Domri Rade).

Last week I went 2-1-1 at a sealed event (the GTC League) and the match I lost was because I didn't draw enough removal in my domri rade 17 creature deck. Would I have won that game if I would've played 1 less creature and added another Mugging to main? I don't know. Would it have been an improvement? Definitely.

Setting that aside, Domri provides something very important for Gruul - kills flyers. And repeatable removal (with or without cooldown) deserves a 3,75 at least, maybe even 4.
This seems like it should be remarkably good in Limited, where at least most 40% of your deck is going to be creatures. But it also doesn't seem like it will be super helpful if you play him and you're already behind. Hmmm... I'll have to see him in action, but I will start him at 4.0.

40% of your deck means 17 cards. You are not going to play at least 17 creatures, because that would mean at most 5 noncreature spells (dismissing Domri Rade).

Last week I went 2-1-1 at a sealed event (the GTC League) and the match I lost was because I didn't draw enough removal in my domri rade 17 creature deck. Would I have won that game if I would've played 1 less creature and added another Mugging to main? I don't know. Would it have been an improvement? Definitely.

Setting that aside, Domri provides something very important for Gruul - kills flyers. And repeatable removal (with or without cooldown) deserves a 3,75 at least, maybe even 4.

Except in Gruul colors you can conceivably use creatures as combat tricks, which can be used as removal.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I believe the goal in Limited is always to play at least 17 creatures. If you played less it would only be because you had top tier removal that you didn't want to cut. For Gruul I think this is especially true, since a lot of the creatures also double as combat tricks.

Card advantage, removal, crushing ultimate. 
Sign In to post comments