Land cycles for the Shards

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think it would have been cool if each shard received its own trio of lands with basic land types plus possibly a utility land that all supported the shard's mechanic in some way, such as a Plains, Island, and Forest each with Exalted and a fourth land that taps for colorless mana and also has Exalted for Bant. Below I'll list my ideas for the trios.

Bant
Bant Forest
Land — Forest
( Add to your mana pool.)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
, : ~ gains Exalted until end of turn.

Bant Plains
Land  Plains

Bant Island
Land  Island

Esper
Esper Plains
Artifact Land  Plains

Esper Island
Artifact Land  Island

Esper Swamp
Artifact Land  Swamp

Grixis
Grixis Island
Land  Island
, : Target creature you control gains flying this turn. Sacrifice that creature at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield.

Grixis Swamp
Land  Swamp
, : Target creature you control gains deathtouch until end of turn. Sacrifice that creature at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield.

Grixis Mountain
Land  Mountain
, : Target creature you control gains first strike until end of turn. Sacrifice that creature at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield.

Jund
Jund Swamp
Land  Swamp
, Sacrifice ~: Put two 1/1 black Insect creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Jund Mountain
Land  Mountain
, Sacrifice ~: Put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Jund Forest
Land  Forest
, Sacrifice ~: Put two 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Naya
Naya Mountain
Land  Mountain
: ~ becomes a 5/5 red Beast creature until end of turn.

Naya Forest
Land  Forest
: ~ becomes a 5/5 green Beast creature until end of turn.

Naya Plains
Land  Plains
: ~ becomes a 5/5 white Beast creature until end of turn.

They are ok i guess but i love the Jund ones alot!

However the esper ones are very bad compared to Ancient Den, Seat of the Synod Vault of Whispers.

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

However the esper ones are very bad compared to Ancient Den, Seat of the Synod Vault of Whispers.

And those are banned in Modern.

Manite's versions enter tapped, but they can be fetched. May still be too good.

[<o>]
I'd be okay with lands that strong if R&D would stop killing good land destruction
/soap box 

There's nothing that strikes me as being particularly egregious about any of these, but the power levels are all over the place. 
what strikes me as being particularly egregious is imagining a set with 15 of these lands in uncommon/common slots. lol

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
It occured to me that's probably the precise reason we never got any such lands, because of the design space they would eat up. Granted, they could make like DGM and simply include 15 more cards than the usual number. These would be ideal for a set that doesn't have regular basic lands, like most second sets tend to.

I'd be okay with lands that strong if R&D would stop killing good land destruction
/soap box 

There's nothing that strikes me as being particularly egregious about any of these, but the power levels are all over the place. 

I've gotta agree with Hairy on that one.   If you don't like people being able to play stuff, why don't you get rid of creature destruction, Counterspells, and milling while you're at it?

Artifact lands. What could go wrong?

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

effects that are broken without drawbacks are always still broken when you add drawbacks.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

effects that are broken without drawbacks are always still broken when you add drawbacks.

I'm not convinced it's enough of a drawback, though. It still "grants " every time you cast a spell with affinity.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
In terms of having these in an actual set, I think they'd be better as one land for the central color of each shard, especially since they're so similar within the shard.
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
So, a Plains with Exalted and an artifact Island for example? That could work. But even a cycle of utility lands would have been neat.

Bant
Land - Plains Island Forest
(...)
When ~ enters play, tap it and a creature you control.