How does Mindbreak Trap work?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
So how does Mindbreak Trap work?

My opponent plays a few spells on their turn - ponder - preordain - etc.,, 
What happens?   
if any one opponent has cast 3 spells this turn, you can cast it for free.

it will exile any number of target spells on the stack, but there's rarely more than one opponent's spell on the stack at a time
players usually cast one, let it resolve, then cast the next one, let it resolve and so on

it's really only useful against things like storm or cascade or replicate

it can be cast for free sometimes and it exiles the spells rather than countering them, which also make it useful

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

If an opponent happened to have cast 3+ spells during the turn already, you get the option of casting Mindbreak Trap for an alternative cost: . You can still cast it for its normal cost if you want.

Note, that spells only exist on the stack. Therefore you can only exile spells, that haven't resolved yet.
Got it - so we wait until the count hits three and essentially stop anything on the stack. Nice!

Thanks   
Prepare to be patient...

As 2goth4U said, this card is (only?) mostly useful against someone playing Storm, Cascade or Replicate stuff!

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

Nothing stops you from using the Trap before an opponent has cast 3+ spells. You can use it as a somewhat expensive counterspell, that can stop uncounterable spells.
I've only ever used Mindbreak Trap against storm, where it's exiling a bunch of copies of Tendrils (and rarely at that, any good storm player will Duress you before getting to the kill).  What happens to the exiled spell(s) if it's actually represented by a card?  Does the card get exiled?
why didn't you exile the original Tendrils? ;)

yes, it's simply exiled
kinda like with Dissipate, except that it is not countered as such
proud member of the 2011 community team
I've only ever used Mindbreak Trap against storm, where it's exiling a bunch of copies of Tendrils.  What happens to the exiled spell(s) if it's actually represented by a card?  Does the card get exiled?

Yes.

The card is the spell; they're are one and the same. Exiling the spell is moving it from the stack to the exile zone; if the spell is a card, the card is the thing being moved stack -> exile.

Even if your example against Storm, typically your Mindbreak Trap is exiling the storm copies and the original Tendrils spell card in the stack.

[<o>]
Does a creature coming into play from suspend count as a spell? i'm thinking not, but thought i would check
If so, if i am playing against Jhoira of the Ghitu and 3 creatures are about to lose their last time counters, would all three 'spells' be on the stack at one time, and i can therefore exile them all for free?
A suspended (nonland) card is cast as a spell when the last time counter is removed.

However, even if there are multiple suspended cards with one time counter each, they'll be cast one at a time and each must resolve before the next is cast, so Mindbreak Trap wouldn't be able to exile more than one of them.
cool. but if three suspended cards were about to resolve, i could trap the 3rd for free?
I don't knwo if this is a rules question or not, but how would you try to word to your opponent "which order are those resolving" without basically saying i'm gunna counter the last one for free...
Yes, when the third one is cast from exile via suspend, the condition for the Trap's alternative cost is fulfilled and you can cast it "for free".

Make a habit of asking for the order of things, wether it matters to you or not. You and your opponent are both responsible for keeping the game state clear.
cool. but if three suspended cards were about to resolve, i could trap the 3rd for free?
I don't knwo if this is a rules question or not, but how would you try to word to your opponent "which order are those resolving" without basically saying i'm gunna counter the last one for free...

Wait for him/her to put the last creature on the field. If he/she takes all three of them in his hand, ask for an order.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sign In to post comments