Modern Masters

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was looking around the magic of the gathering forums and capt hearing about Modern Masters thats coming out and when I look it up an went to here Modern Masters. I read about what it was.

It said that on another site it will only be ship to hobby stores, will that als mean like target,walmart,and other place like that or will it only be hobby stores will sell them.

Also will it be better to buy the boster packs from them since there going to be in highr priceing range or by the box and call the hobby store to hold one for me to buy what will be better todo. Also if they do a prerelace of Modern Masters online should I pre order it also or would instore pickup be better to do.

Thank You,
Robert

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

we don't have enough information to answer that yet
proud member of the 2011 community team
I believe it has been announced that there will be NO prerelease events for Modern Masters unless a LGS does it on their own.

Haven't heard anything about whether it will be a premium LGS only product though. 
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

This links to the article announcing the Modern Master set from last October. Some highlights:

- the cards will not be Standard legal
- the boxes will have 24 packs instead of the usual 36
- the boosters' MSRP will be $6.99 instead of the usual $3.99
- the cards will only be printed in English
- the product will only be sold through "licensed hobby retailers" 
- the print run will be very limited

It sounds from the article like there will be no sanctioned event support from Wizards for this product. The smaller booster box size is intended to be "just the right amount for a draft", but the article also warns those interested in drafting the set to talk to their local retailers in advance about "setting aside a box for a draft". Seems to me this means this will be similar to products like From the Vault and Commander's Arsenal... available on a first-come, first-serve basis, and it's highly likely that most of the stores that sell this product will be marking it up significantly from MSRP. 
It's basically Modern staples in a limited print to increase circulation of these cards. So Tarmogoyf is confirmed, and things like Bob are to be expected. Presumably, Ms. Jund won't be present, though. (Total derp if she is.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Honestly this is one thing that is getting me upset.  The whole thing and all the hype around it almost feel like false advertising.  Certainly WOTC has never come out and said anything cleary false about Modern Masters, but unless you read the fine print it certainly feels that way.

The marketing department gets to come out and say:
"Look over here, we're reprinting all these awesome cards! Isnt this going to be awesome?!?!"

But after talking to people at some local stores and online its sounding more and more like:
"Look! We're reprinting a few copies of each of these cards!  If you battle everyone else at your LGS in a post-apocalyptic thunderdome to the death you might even get your hands on some of them!!"

But after talking to people at some local stores and online its sounding more and more like:
"Look! We're reprinting a few copies of each of these cards!  If you battle everyone else at your LGS in a post-apocalyptic thunderdome to the death you might even get your hands on some of them!!"

I sincerely doubt this will happen. It'll be more of a lightningdome.

Wait! No, that's not what I was going to say. They're definitely planning on printing a good amount of it. If I recall properly they plan on drafting it at some of the high level tournaments, which indicates they plan on having enough printed for people to practice with.

If I had to guess, they'll probably try to make sure every store can keep it in stock for at least a few months. Certainly it won't be another Commander's Arsenal unless everybody in charge of it fell asleep several months ago and won't wake up until after August. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Even though it'll be expensive, I really can't wait. Despite the expense that it will be, but Eternal formats are expensive anyways, and is to be expected.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Modern is not an eternal format

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
I miss the old days.
it's non-rotating, which is almost the same
If you really want a box, better you reserve one from your local game shop as those thing will fly fast and save the money for it, I expect a 169$ before tax price tag on these.

"Just put +1/+1 counters!" -Wizards new motto

The print run can't be too limited; there is an entire limited GP using them.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
It's not, by any means, certain that Modern Masters will wind up like a From the Vault set; however, From the Vault is not the only product that has been hard to get. Look at Commanders' Arsenal, for example. Thus, I would advocate being on the safe side, because Wizards has tended to be conservative in estimating the size of its print runs, with Fallen Empires and Homelands being the only notable exceptions.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

If Modern Masters does sell in excess of it's RRP in the same vein as FTV and Commander's Arsenal it will probably be the final nail in the coffin for me in finding another hobby.  I'm hoping that there will be plenty of it to go around for at least a few months and I'm pretty sure it will so long as people aren't going to panic buy it and drive up the price.

Cheers
If you really want a box, better you reserve one from your local game shop as those thing will fly fast and save the money for it, I expect a 169$ before tax price tag on these.

They have said that they have learned their lesson from the Commanders Arsenal.  If they have or not we still have to find out, as I don't think they learned it from the FTV sets either which came before the arsenal.

I just hope they can print enough and have the right value in them to reach the suggested retail.

As far as your price per box, you need to keep in mind that the box will have half of the boosters as normal boxes so if the packs are double the price, but you have half the packs then it should come out to a normal booster box price while in print.  Shortly after they will most likely jump up, but while in print should be around a normal box.

Not sure when the banned list cut off is.  Would have to assume it was when they made the announcement so the recently banned cards might still have a chance of making it in.  I do remember them mentioning something about there being a cutoff date for if something got banned after that date it would still have a chance of being in.
They have said that they have learned their lesson from the Commanders Arsenal.  If they have or not we still have to find out, as I don't think they learned it from the FTV sets either which came before the arsenal.

Do you have a quote or link? They printed Aresenal and FTV as a LIMITED print run on purpose, I have not seen anything  to indicate they thought it was a mistake.

Do you have a quote or link? They printed Aresenal and FTV as a LIMITED print run on purpose, I have not seen anything  to indicate they thought it was a mistake.

I am trying to find it.  I believe either Aaron Forsythe or Mark Rosewater said it.  Though it could of been in a video, article, or on blogatog.  If it was a video or blogatog that is going to be harder to find.

If I am remembering correctly it was a video by Aaron Forsythe so if you want to start looking at videos of Q&A he has done in the past couple of months then you might find it.

EDIT:
Found at least one thing, though I think there was more.
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

#2: Commander's Arsenal Distribution

Like From the Vault, Commander's Arsenal was intentionally produced in small quantities so as to be a collectible. Unfortunately, those quantities were likely too small. It's cool to excite your customers, but not cool to frustrate them.

We took this reaction into account when finalizing the print size for Modern Masters; we have no interest in a repeat performance.

As far as your price per box, you need to keep in mind that the box will have half of the boosters as normal boxes so if the packs are double the price, but you have half the packs then it should come out to a normal booster box price while in print.

For the record, a normal booster box has 36 packs, and Modern Masters will have 24.  Thus, 75% and not 50%.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I really don't get the point of modern masters. If the idea was to try and get more people into Modern, they instantly cancelled that out by making the set very rare, limited, and expensive. It's probably going to be the next Commanders Arsenal.
Thanks PanteraCanes

I really don't get the point of modern masters. If the idea was to try and get more people into Modern, they instantly cancelled that out by making the set very rare, limited, and expensive. It's probably going to be the next Commanders Arsenal.

Its pretty clear it wont be that limited. They will have an entire GP drafting it, and having multiple drafts in stores.

Some stuff will get out there! 
Thanks PanteraCanes

Its pretty clear it wont be that limited. They will have an entire GP drafting it, and having multiple drafts in stores.

Either way, I'd predict they will end up ATLEAST 10 dollars a pack because 1. LGS 2. High demand 3. Limited run

Look at event decks. Many LGS' mark up event decks to 30-40 dollars upon release. The MSRP for the packs of this set may be 6, but they'll definetly get marked up a pretty penny if things like Tarmogoyf, Bob, Vendilian clique, Thought seize, fetch lands etc are in it. Which they most likely will be (we already know Goyf is).
Thanks PanteraCanes

Either way, I'd predict they will end up ATLEAST 10 dollars a pack because 1. LGS 2. High demand 3. Limited run

Look at event decks. Many LGS' mark up event decks to 30-40 dollars upon release. The MSRP for the packs of this set may be 6, but they'll definetly get marked up a pretty penny if things like Tarmogoyf, Bob, Vendilian clique, Thought seize, fetch lands etc are in it. Which they most likely will be (we already know Goyf is).

So it will be better to call my local game store to hold one for me that will be more expencive for me I think. But what about target,walmart,kmart that seel magic of the gathering deck and cards will they have the modern master at all or no

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

Thanks PanteraCanes

You have no idea what the availability of the set will be so why are you assuming there will be a mark up? 

Also, why are you assuming you know what cards are going to be in the set?  
So it will be better to call my local game store to hold one for me that will be more expencive for me I think. But what about target,walmart,kmart that seel magic of the gathering deck and cards will they have the modern master at all or no

Local game stores only. They will not (according to WotC right now) be avalible at any 'big box' store like WalMart of Target.

Local game stores only. They will not (according to WotC right now) be avalible at any 'big box' store like WalMart of Target.

That just sucks then becuase there one not close by me at all

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

That just sucks then becuase there one not close by me at all

Which is why I said they'd get marked up a ton by LGS. Big box stores like walmart don't generally mark up stuff like that. LGS' will definetly mark up the stuff and theres not much a lot of people can do since not everyone lives near 7+ game shops.
Which is why I said they'd get marked up a ton by LGS. Big box stores like walmart don't generally mark up stuff like that. LGS' will definetly mark up the stuff and theres not much a lot of people can do since not everyone lives near 7+ game shops.

How would you explain that my LGS prices boosters LESS than the WalMart and Target? Not every LGS is out to screw players to make money.

How would you explain that my LGS prices boosters LESS than the WalMart and Target? Not every LGS is out to screw players to make money.

Boosters aren't limited hard to get product. They don't really have any control on it because they must compete with Walmart.
The local game stores in my area all sell their limited products at msrp. Though I guess there is plenty of competition since we have 4 game stores currently. But we do have a pretty big player base buying up that limited product.
What will be better to buy boosters packs or just buy the booster box seald from your lgs in advance

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

depends what the shop is charging, and what you want to do with the boosters

I want to collect the cards and keep them and just collect them. and play them with my friends to

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

it might be cheaper to buy the cards as singles

but you will get a real answer only when more (or rather most) of the set is known

I want to collect the cards and keep them and just collect them. and play them with my friends to

Unless your store does absolutely no markup and there's a shortage of cards, for collecting buying singles will always be cheaper.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
If you're not going to play modern competitively, don't buy this set. It's that simple. 
If you're not going to play modern/legacy competitively, don't buy this set. It's that simple. 

+1/like/thumbs-up this.

I'm looking (less forward) to it, because it will finally mean some perhaps rare cards at greater accessibility (really Tarmogoyf was the one card they could spoil and make me happy to see the set.)
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!

They also said that they don't want to destroy the value of the cards that they're reprinting for players who are already heavily invested.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)

They also said that they don't want to destroy the value of the cards that they're reprinting for players who are already heavily invested.

Which is silly and what lead to modern even being made in the first place. I guess wizards forgot the whole "reserve list" fiasco.

I'm not sure why it's their responsibility to protect people who overspend. I'm sure this opinion isn't popular but I don't believe wizards should ever take collectors or people who overspend on the secondary market into account in reprints. If you want to spend 400 dollars on a set of goyfs, go ahead. But you shouldn't be insured it will never plummet in value.
It isn't about the players.  It is about the stock in the hands of large secondary retailers.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
My guess is that indeed Wizards intends to print more of this than they did with Commanders' Arsenal, but they're still going to underestimate demand. Historical precedent lets us make informed guesses, I think.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

My guess is that indeed Wizards intends to print more of this than they did with Commanders' Arsenal, but they're still going to underestimate demand. Historical precedent lets us make informed guesses, I think.

Considering further that it appears RtR and Gatecrash have seen a massive influx of new players (Gatecrash being the largest Pre-release ever, and at least my LGS has said that both sets were insane in demand, and they haven't been able to keep GTC on the shelf at all), demand may be a bit higher than anticipated.  For new players wanting to get into Modern, its the perfect product. 

All I know is, I'm getting two boxes before they skyrocket in price (Which will likely happen within a few months of release).  I've got m reasons...
Sign In to post comments