BR Aggro Tournament Deck?

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright so my previous decks have all kinda gotten killed at tournaments. So i invested some money and traded cards in to my local card stores and I built this deck. It beats almost every deck I play against with my friends. So what do u think i should change? and if I should enter it in tournaments.

Creatures:
2 - Thundermaw Hellkite
4 - Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 - Rakdos, Lord of Riots
1 - Desecration Demon
4 - Geralf's Messenger
3 - Knight of Infamy (NEED ANOTHER OF THESE)
4 - Blood Artist
4 - Gravecrawler 
4 - Diregraf Ghoul
3 - Vexing Devil

(Gonna cut out the desecration demon and put in another knight of Infamy. Also gonna cut out the vexing devils and put in stromkirk nobels. Good idea or no?)

Instants/Sorrceries/Enchantments:
2 - Bonfire of the Damned
4 - Dreadbore
3 - Tragic Slip

Any thoughts?

Lands:
4 - Cavern of Souls
4 - Blood crypt
4 - Dragonskull summit
6 - Swamp
2 - Mountain

Any suggestions?

Please post if you have any ideas. Value of card is somewhat important. I can always save up but I want to play quickly because a lot of my cards become illegal in July.

EDIT: Actually had 4 Geralf's Messengers

Thanks!
Rjasper1998
Vexing Devil, Desacration Demon, and Blood artist all work together very well. Are you sure you want to diminish this synergy for a pro-black dude and a dude that gets big pretty much only if your opponent runs a human deck? Humans are not really a thing to the degree that they were before Gatecrash... just a thought. Other than that, I like what you're doing. Does your sideboard have a lot of removal?
I would say -1 Falkenrath Aristocrat -3 Knight of Infamy and +1 Vexing Devil
+1 Rakdos, Lord of Riots and +2 Desecration Demon. the synergy here is just great. Your opponent really doesnt want a 1 drop 4/3 on the field early before they have answers so right there is 4 damage most games, and late game the devil is still a 1 drop 4/3 thats crazy. Rakdos is just good, everyturn after he is out you can use him to cause damage and then play more creatures after for really cheap. and the demons, you can either feed him at the same time you feed creatures to the aristocrat and your opponent can feed it until they run out of creatures and when hes a 10/10 flyer and they have nothing out because of your bonfire, swing in with all youve got and its over. Thats how I feel. but nice list either way.
Humans are not really a thing to the degree that they were before Gatecrash.

I'm not sure that is true. I'm seeing a lot of Naya human deck lists (on the web pages that track these things; I haven't had a chance to play standard yet post-Gatecrash).

Humans are not really a thing to the degree that they were before Gatecrash.

I'm not sure that is true. I'm seeing a lot of Naya human deck lists (on the web pages that track these things; I haven't had a chance to play standard yet post-Gatecrash).

One of my housemates plays Naya humans. Trust me, its a thing. See The First Gatecrash Champion
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
The deck seems split between  being agressive and being resilient. I'm not sure it applies enough pressure for aristocrat to be better than Olivia.
I want to play quickly because a lot of my cards become illegal in July.

No cards become illegal in July. Rotation occurs in October.

you're like 2 months too late to be playing this deck

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I haven't followed standard in a little while, what's happening? Boros I assume? People who are in the loop, please let me know how the deck has been obsoleted and what the meta looks like (competitive, obvs).

Your deck needs more land, mate. 20 won't cut it. You want to pick a colour to focus on a main colour, I'd say black since you've got a zombies theme going on. You want another Messenger, lose the Devils.
+1 Rakdos, Lord of Riots and +2 Desecration Demon. the synergy here is just great. Your opponent really doesnt want a 1 drop 4/3 on the field early before they have answers so right there is 4 damage most games, and late game the devil is still a 1 drop 4/3 thats crazy. Rakdos is just good, everyturn after he is out you can use him to cause damage and then play more creatures after for really cheap. and the demons, you can either feed him at the same time you feed creatures to the aristocrat and your opponent can feed it until they run out of creatures and when hes a 10/10 flyer and they have nothing out because of your bonfire, swing in with all youve got and its over. Thats how I feel. but nice list either way.

Alright i've got some problems with this. First of all, Why lose falkenrath? It's a very good card for aggro. a 4/1 with haste and flying is a good card, The ability makes the card. Second, No way get rid of knight of infamy. It's great early game with exaulted and for that matter late game when i play a hellkite or a aristocrat. Third, I'd rather play a Falkenrath Aristocrat then a desecration demon because it has haste, and against a lot of decks most people will just sac a weak creature to tap it. Also Rakdos is good I might add one but not cut our falkenraths, it has a nice little combo with aristocrat and blood artist, gravecrawler as well if I have another zombie in play. Vecing Devils are good but ur opponent will always do what u don't want. Ex. Turn 1 they'll take 4 (which is good but i'd rather get something i could attack and block with) Or once they have a way to block they'll let me play it. I have thundermaw for a nice finisher as well as bonfire. Unless I play a deck thats big on reach (Haven't faced one yet) it's an automatic 5 damage. 

Thanks I played in a tournament at Cloud Cap by my friend's house and won every match.
The deck seems split between  being agressive and being resilient. I'm not sure it applies enough pressure for aristocrat to be better than Olivia.

How so? 

Alright i've got some problems with this. First of all, Why lose falkenrath? It's a very good card for aggro. a 4/1 with haste and flying is a good card, The ability makes the card. Second, No way get rid of knight of infamy. It's great early game with exaulted and for that matter late game when i play a hellkite or a aristocrat. Third, I'd rather play a Falkenrath Aristocrat then a desecration demon because it has haste, and against a lot of decks most people will just sac a weak creature to tap it. Also Rakdos is good I might add one but not cut our falkenraths, it has a nice little combo with aristocrat and blood artist, gravecrawler as well if I have another zombie in play. Vecing Devils are good but ur opponent will always do what u don't want. Ex. Turn 1 they'll take 4 (which is good but i'd rather get something i could attack and block with) Or once they have a way to block they'll let me play it. I have thundermaw for a nice finisher as well as bonfire. Unless I play a deck thats big on reach (Haven't faced one yet) it's an automatic 5 damage. 

Thanks I played in a tournament at Cloud Cap by my friend's house and won every match.

Hey you asked for suggestions, and I told you what I would do. If you weren't really looking for other views, you shouldn't have asked.
I'm not sure I see a place for Knight of Infamy either in this particular build.  I'd probably pull all three of those as well as the Desecration Demon.  For your two drops, maybe try Rakdos Shred-Freak and/or Ash Zealot instead.  I've found it difficult (maybe it's just my skill  level) to get Rakdos, Lord of Riots out.  You have to be able to cause loss of life and still have enough mana left to bring him out.  I'd recommend removing Rakdos and putting in as many Hellriders as you can find space for.  Also, Slaughter Games is one of the best cards Rakdos has right now, IMHO.  It can take apart a midrange deck so easily.  And, you usually have enough mana to play it before the first of the big midrange creatures come out.  Lastly, Geralf's Messenger is an excellent card for your three drop, but maybe play around with putting a couple of Boros Reckoners in place of Geralf's Messenger and see how the deck runs.  If you prefer it with Geralf's Messenger, then run it that way instead.  Considering the cost of Boros Reckoner, I'd try to borrow a couple from a friend for playtesting if possible.

My $0.02

SG

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/6103739643/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

If there's one thing I learned from my year and a half of playing this deck, it's that Knight of Infamy is never irrelevant. Ever.
Change from black to red.

I think it's fine where it is.

If there's one thing I learned from my year and a half of playing this deck, it's that Knight of Infamy is never irrelevant. Ever.

I'll give my opinion again even though it isn't wanted...
With the given decklist, Knight of Infamy is maybe not irrelevant but it is just a 2/1 for 2 the exalted trigger that it gives, however, is irrelevant and the fact that it has protection from white is useless as well unless you play a deck with white that would have no other means of killing the knight. I would think that there could be other 2 drops that would fit better here. Perhaps other zombies or vampires. Like I said, that is just what I think about the knight as it pertains to the decklist as it was presented.
No part of Knight of Infamy is irrelevant to a B/r aggro list during any stage of the game. Period.
He is the only card in the deck with the exalted trigger and just attacking with one creature that only gets and extra +1/+1 is actually quite irrelevant especially against any deck other than mono white that will have a way to easily get rid of a 1 toughness, not-all-that-threatening, little black knight. I could drop an Electrickery for and its gone or any "target creature gets a -1/-1 counter then its gone again. If anything side it out for any other 1 or 2 drop creature that better matches the flavor of the deck. Thats all I'm saying.
... game. Period.

I would like to point out that you have a triple period right here, I lol'ed a little.
O, I c wut u did thar.

I type as I speak out loud.
Alright why I like Knight of Infamy, and this happens a LOT. First turn: Diregraf Ghoul. 2nd turn knight of infamy swimg for 3. 
Even better, replace Diregraf Ghoul with Gravecrawler. PLUS you have a pro-white **** untapped and blocking. AND THEN you can swing for 5 in the air with Aristocrat and sac the Knight after exalted trigger for an additional damage, sealing the game.
well that makes it even better.... thanks for confirming my point

No prob, mate. I started testing him in place of Mortarpod ahead of the Scars rotation and I was... Not even a little disappointed with his performance. At one point I even replaced my 3 Cacklers with Duty-Bound Dead. Few things are more entertaining than swinging with 1 4-power creature and holding back 2 effective blockers on turn 3.
Duty bound dead.... Thats a good idea drop a duty bound dead and a knight with a gravecrawler swing for 4 XD

Precisely. I'd test first though, were I you. Dead's regen has been hilariously relevant in one or two games.
Already have 11 one drops. Idk if i'm gonna add another set. I'm gonna add another knight of infamy

The list I'd play were I to sleeve up B/r aggro for this week's FNM. In other versions I ran 22 land, more 1-drops and no Hellkite (I have a Hellkite now, lol).

[deck]4 Blood Artist
4 Diregraf Ghoul
3 Duty-Bound Dead
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
4 Knight of Infamy
3 Brimstone Volley
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Blood Crypt
3 Cavern of Souls
4 Dragonskull Summit
9 Swamp
2 Mountain[/deck]

Duty-Bound Dead could be Rakdos Cackler instead. It's a meta/taste call. 2 Mountains make goddamn sure I hit burn mana when I need it without interfering meaningfully with turn 3 Messenger.
How does this sound:
Turn 1:
Blood Crypt, take shock. Diregraf ghoul
Turn 2:
Dragonskull summit. Madcap Skills
Could be good. Wouldn't even need to lose 2 life to a Ravdual, necessarily.
Yeah i like my deck how it is right now. I cream all of my friends. I even won a 2v1 match
Do you all think this would do well in a tournament?
B/r aggro can still tear mofos apart. I went 2-2 with this list, my losses due to hilarious misplays:

Hilarious misplays such as not playing Skullcrack in response to Thragtusk. :suicide:
I need hellriders they are very good. But i think 2 hellkites are good.
The one time I drew Hellrider, I deperately needed it to be something else. I would probably not run Hellrider again. Thundermaw was a champ, even though the one time I got to play it, it didn't save me from a herd of 12/12 humans.

Now is definitely the time to run 4 Human Frailty in the side. Also 4 Tragic Slip. 4 Knight of Infamy main is always the correct decision.
You don't need the Rakdos or desecration demons, 4 knights and 3 Blood artists is a good ratio. Dreadbore is a great card but should only be included in limited numbers. The bulk of your removal will be searing spears and tragic slips. Pillar is a great card, but you're playing blood artists so you don't benefit from the exiling effect. Never mainboard skullcrack, you'll always wish for removal against aggro decks instead of straight damage.

Also, I suggest some sort of graveyard hate and discard for the board. Maybe 3 appetite/2 duress and a minimum of 2 rakdos charm.

Other than that, make sure you have at least 23 lands, the deck is a solid turn 4 deck and you don't want to miss a land drop for the first four turns.
You don't need the Rakdos or desecration demons, 4 knights and 3 Blood artists is a good ratio. Dreadbore is a great card but should only be included in limited numbers. The bulk of your removal will be searing spears and tragic slips. Pillar is a great card, but you're playing blood artists so you don't benefit from the exiling effect. Never mainboard skullcrack, you'll always wish for removal against aggro decks instead of straight damage.

Also, I suggest some sort of graveyard hate and discard for the board. Maybe 3 appetite/2 duress and a minimum of 2 rakdos charm.

Other than that, make sure you have at least 23 lands, the deck is a solid turn 4 deck and you don't want to miss a land drop for the first four turns.

I like the rakdos it's funny. Probably not gonna main deck it. 4 blood artists is good for this deck. 

MY FAVORITE PLAY OF ALL TIME WITH THIS DECK:

My set up:

4 - Gravecrawler
3 - Blood Artists
2 - Knight of Infamy

4 Lands (I don't remember what I had)

I drew a bonfire played for miracle ON MYSELF to win

You want 3 2 Skullcrack main with 1 2 in the side.
Skull Crack.... idk what that is.... is that players can't gain life?
Skullcrack, Red's answer to life gain.  Crack them before Thragtusk comes into play, and suddenly he's not so big of an obstacle, just a 5/3 that happens to leave behind a 3/3.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
4 Blood Artist
4 Diregraf Captain
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
4 Highborn Ghoul
4 Lotleth Troll
3 Olivia Voldaren
B/r aggro can still tear mofos apart. I went 2-2

come on now 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket