Need Summary of Week 1

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, it happened again (sort of).  We arrived to the store last week for character creation, and the store owner handed out the packets.  But when we opened them, we discovered just the Playtest Agreements that folks have to sign if we run this season as D&D Next.

Apparently our store got those, but not the actual Encounters Kits.  The store owner contacted Wizards, and they are supposedly sending out replacments, but as of today (Monday) they haven't arrived yet.   Since the store is closed Tuesday evenings, it's likely we won't see the kit before we show up Wednesday to run Week 1.  Assuming the kits arrive at all (I'm bringing an older one just in case, so we can run something at least)!

But with no prep time, we'll be winging it.  I was hoping someone would be kind enough to post a detailed synopsis of the first session (or PM me if you don't want to spoil it for those who might peek) so I can prepare as best I can for this Wednesday.  And anything else I should really know in context, since I doubt we'll have much time to anythign but skim the stats for the first encounter.

Thanks,

Jack

Well, it happened again (sort of).  We arrived to the store last week for character creation, and the store owner handed out the packets.  But when we opened them, we discovered just the Playtest Agreements that folks have to sign if we run this season as D&D Next.

Apparently our store got those, but not the actual Encounters Kits.  The store owner contacted Wizards, and they are supposedly sending out replacments, but as of today (Monday) they haven't arrived yet.   Since the store is closed Tuesday evenings, it's likely we won't see the kit before we show up Wednesday to run Week 1.  Assuming the kits arrive at all (I'm bringing an older one just in case, so we can run something at least)!

But with no prep time, we'll be winging it.  I was hoping someone would be kind enough to post a detailed synopsis of the first session (or PM me if you don't want to spoil it for those who might peek) so I can prepare as best I can for this Wednesday.  And anything else I should really know in context, since I doubt we'll have much time to anythign but skim the stats for the first encounter.

Thanks,

Jack

The big problem is that most of the first session is wandering through a village talking to LOTS of NPCs. There is a short battle at the beginning that is not difficult but the village will be hard with no prep. Get them to visit the druid very early in the village exploration and give them some direction to go. That gives your dms more time to read the adventure and utilize the NPCS when they return to the village to find a second part of the quest to explore. Do not let them choose the caves path first or all the mystery in the village will be ruined.
Are you running this as 4e or Next?

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Are you running this as 4e or Next?

4e, at this point.  :-)  
Thanks for the advice, teacha!
I agree with teacha. Exploring the town without the adventure would be difficult. I would cut out the town altogether and save it for the next session. Push the roleplay/interaction as much as possible. You might add an additional encounter involving raiders or goblins from the Cave of Chaos. Something to pad your time with. It would help push the narrative of the threat to Hommel Lane.

I'll message you the details.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Sign In to post comments