Which deck is more competitive?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is a big tournament being held at my local gaming shop this weekend. The total prizes equal a case of Gatecrash (1st Place wins 2 boxes, 2nd Place wins 1.5 boxes, etc..) I've really been preparing for this tournament, but I'm stuck on choosing between two decks. I feel they are both very competitive, but not sure which has a better shot at winning this thing.
(These decks are not original, they are mostly based off of decks I saw in SCG Opens)

Deck #1: RDW

Creatures:

Spells:

Show
[deck]4 Searing Spear
4 Boros Charm
2 Pillar of Flame[/deck]

Land:

Show
[deck]15 Mountain
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Sacred Foundry[/deck]

SB:

Show
[deck]4 Volcanic Strength
4 Skullcrack
3 Rest in Peace
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Pillar of Flame[/deck]

-------------------------------------------------------------

Deck #2: American Aggro

Creatures:

Show
[deck]4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Restoration Angel[/deck]

Spells:

Show
[deck]4 Azorius Charm
4 Boros Charm
4 Searing Spear
4 Thought Scour
2 Unsummon
3 Pillar of Flame
[/deck]

Land:

Show
[deck]1 Mountain
1 Plains
2 Clifftop Retreat
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Sacred Foundry
1 Slayers' Stronghold
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls[/deck]

SB:

Show
[deck]1 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Blind Obedience
1 Detention Sphere
1 Rest in Peace
2 Counterflux
1 ?
2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Rolling Temblor[/deck]

Show
http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?ForumReferrerID=99147 MTGFanatic, best site to buy cards.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Depends on what you expect people to play at your store. RDW if you expect more Control, USA if you expect more Midrange and other Aggro decks.
Probably RDW. Not saying that it is necessarily "more competitive" than American, but it requires less decisions and reduces the risk of mana screw. Doesn't seem like much, but in a large tournament, you don't want to be giving games away due to mental errors or luck.  

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Probably RDW. Not saying that it is necessarily "more competitive" than American, but it requires less decisions and reduces the risk of mana screw. Doesn't seem like much, but in a large tournament, you don't want to be giving games away due to mental errors or luck.  

I'll second this. I've hit round 8 of a tournament and just shuuuuut down. May not seem like much, but at least with RDW you'll also have time for a lunch break. Both decks seem fairly competitive to me, btw.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.