A Detektor Blip: Squid Ink

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Squid Ink
Instant
Blind up to three target creatures, planeswalkers and/or players until your next turn. (Spells and abilities from blinded sources have their targets chosen at random.)
Draw a card.
"When you can't be bothered to fool the eyes, it's often just as efficient to shut them."

Personally, I like the fact that blinding effects could be used in any colour with a completely different flavour basis on each card. Glaring light, impenetrable darkness, gouging with a spoon...
I expected a tribal squid instant.
process over order firebug

Squid Ink
describing a fumble adds comedy to the game

Fumble instant

Choose a single source(Object or player).
That source determines targets randomly
to end of turn.

Stop being so damned clever all the time!
Squid Ink
Instant
Blind up to three target creatures, planeswalkers and/or players until your next turn. (Spells and abilities from blinded sources have their targets chosen at random.)
Draw a card.
"When you can't be bothered to fool the eyes, it's often just as efficient to shut them."

Personally, I like the fact that blinding effects could be used in any colour with a completely different flavour basis on each card. Glaring light, impenetrable darkness, gouging with a spoon...

Only problem is memory issues. Let's say I blind 3 of your creatures for the next 2 turns with some combo. How can we easily remember which 3 are blinded? A "blind counter"? Do we really need more counters? Or is there an easier way to resolve the memory problem?

Otherwise, I love the flavor! :D

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Squid Ink
Instant
Draw a card.

Only problem is memory issues. Let's say I blind 3 of your creatures for the next 2 turns with some combo. How can we easily remember which 3 are blinded? A "blind counter"? Do we really need more counters? Or is there an easier way to resolve the memory problem?

The same way you handled detain effects, I assume.
Squid Ink
Instant
Draw a card.

The same way you handled detain effects, I assume.

Good point. You win. :P

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Randomness should really be restricted to red in my humble opinion. It fits flavor-wise, but mechanically I dislike the concept. While this would probably be interesting on one, or a handful of blue cards, I do think that not overdoing it would be prudent.
Ours is a vengeful god.
I like it, but what about blinded creatures which are declared attackers?
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Randomness should really be restricted to red in my humble opinion. It fits flavor-wise, but mechanically I dislike the concept. While this would probably be interesting on one, or a handful of blue cards, I do think that not overdoing it would be prudent.

I agree here. you cal flavor anything in any color but that doesn't mean that every color gets everything.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
It originally stopped targeted abilities altogether (which is very blue), but I decided it was just way more fun to give the affected guy a shot at hitting the intended target. I think the entertainment value of blindness easily trumps the color associations of rarely-used effects like randomness.

Besides, any colour gets to perform colour-specific effects if they're keyworded. See: cycling on white cards. (Or any other number of examples.)
I think the entertainment value of blindness easily trumps the color associations of rarely-used effects like randomness.

I actually feel that because it's rarely used, and then only in Red, that it cements it even more firmly into Red's piece of the pie, not less. 
Besides, any colour gets to perform colour-specific effects if they're keyworded. See: cycling on white cards. (Or any other number of examples.)

Bad example.

Cycling is fine since every color can get cantrippy effects and whatnot. But for every keyword that finds itself equally in all colors, there are a dozen more that are color specific. Not that you can't tack those abilities onto other colors. You should just do so very infrequently.

For example, phasing does appear in multiple colors. But there is a good reason that like 90% of cards that mention phasing are blue.
Ours is a vengeful god.
It originally stopped targeted abilities altogether (which is very blue), but I decided it was just way more fun to give the affected guy a shot at hitting the intended target. I think the entertainment value of blindness easily trumps the color associations of rarely-used effects like randomness.

it's rarely used, but it's very specifically used. basically the only non-red random effects are hymn to tourach variants. want to know all the non-red, non-artifact cards that flip coins? tavern swindler. list complete. (well...) in fact, grip of chaos already defined the color of "targets are chosen at random", and surprise, it's red.

white gets to draw a card. every color gets cantrips. what white doesn't get to do is draw multiple cards, which cycling doesn't let it do. you can't just say "it's a keyword so it goes in all colors", that's stupid. does white get intimidate? does blue get unleash? does red get exalted? no, because despite being keyworded those abilities still violate those colors' principles. some keywords, like cycling, or flashback, are generic enough that all colors can justify them, others aren't. just like the entirely unkeyworded "draw a card" can go in any color, because it fits with every color's philosophy. just because you give a mechanic a name doesn't mean it goes everywhere. and what's worse, with some really basic reflavoring, you could slot this into red, without even having to change the mechanic name. just flavor it as blowing smoke in peoples' eyes or something, and you'll have a perfectly acceptable flavor in the actually correct color.

does white get intimidate?

Apparently.

Anyway, I don't actually mind randomness being bled into other colors, if we actually ignore the part of my personality that abhores the mechanic. It's such a fundamental element of gaming that I think it would be okay in other colors. I can't say I'm too fond of this mechanic either way, though.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'd just like to add that keywording small-time effects is getting carried away. It's already become a very cliché thing.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

white gets to draw a card. every color gets cantrips. what white doesn't get to do is draw multiple cards, which cycling doesn't let it do. you can't just say "it's a keyword so it goes in all colors", that's stupid. does white get intimidate? does blue get unleash? does red get exalted? no, because despite being keyworded those abilities still violate those colors' principles. some keywords, like cycling, or flashback, are generic enough that all colors can justify them, others aren't. just like the entirely unkeyworded "draw a card" can go in any color, because it fits with every color's philosophy.

Okay, every colour gets keywords if they're featured keywords that aren't intrinsically restricted to opposing shards or guilds or what have you.

White getting scry and madness. Green getting metalcraft. Anything goes if it's in the appropriate context with respect to set themes.
>I'd just like to add that keywording small-time effects is getting carried away. It's already become a very cliché thing.

Vomit (this creature deals damage to opposing creature equal to the damage this creature takes)
Detektor I hate you because you're beautiful.

Incidentally, couldn't this still be flavored as squid ink and be in red? I know it seems unintuitive, but I think it could work in the right setting. Kamigawa had ice-themed direct damage in Red, for one notable example. That's the great thing about the game's inherent abstractions--they can be flavored in really broad ways.

Admittedly, squids and mountains might, uh, have some trouble finding common ground. >_> 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Detektor I hate you because you're beautiful.

Incidentally, couldn't this still be flavored as squid ink and be in red? I know it seems unintuitive, but I think it could work in the right setting. Kamigawa had ice-themed direct damage in Red, for one notable example. That's the great thing about the game's inherent abstractions--they can be flavored in really broad ways.

Admittedly, squids and mountains might, uh, have some trouble finding common ground. >_> 

They are squids that live in lava.

Bam, problem solved.
Ours is a vengeful god.
I would also like to mention that my second version of this card read "...are chosen by an opponent." But I thought that would be less entertaining.

Would that have inspired less animosity?
I would also like to mention that my second version of this card read "...are chosen by an opponent." But I thought that would be less entertaining.

Yes, but I like how randomness is tied in with blind. I just don't like the fact that it's blue.
Ours is a vengeful god.
Based on Wizards' justification articles for Shadowmoor and Eventide, I'm almost certain that, at minimum, this could be printed as .
Yeah, that's a lot less flavorful, unfortunately... EDIT: Having your opponent choose, I mean.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Yeah, that's a lot less flavorful, unfortunately... EDIT: Having your opponent choose, I mean.

That's exactly why I changed it.

Yes, but I like how randomness is tied in with blind. I just don't like the fact that it's blue.

yeah, the flavor of the keyword is quite good. it's just in the wrong color. also, white got two scry cards ever, one of which was in future sight and the other of which was part of a mirrored pair with lose hope. it also only had two madness cards, one of which was again part of a mirrored pair with black, and the other of which tied it to a common white utility effect. green got three metalcraft cards, but metalcraft served a vital function in the environment, because you wanted everyone to be running artifacts, so the bleed has justification here.

I think, though, that the best case against this being blue lies in white madness. look at the white madness cards. especially frantic purification. why do you run frantic purification? you run it to kill enchantments, which is white. it can do it through madness, but the card exists to kill enchantments, which is white. why do you run this? to blind things. you don't run it for the cantrip, ponder and pals are much more efficient if you just want to trade a card for another card. the purpose of this card is to do something that's not blue. you can bleed mechanics more easily if they can go on common, staple, on-color effects, and especially when those mechanics aren't effects in and of themselves. madness isn't really a white mechanic, but in the end frantic purification is just a disenchant variant, so the bleed is less noticeable than, say, red detain.

for another comparison, look at relentless assault. relentless assault does a call to arms impression at sorcery speed. untapping your creatures is clearly not red. but relentless assault is red, because you use it for red purposes. you don't use this for blue purposes, so it's not blue.

Based on Wizards' justification articles for Shadowmoor and Eventide, I'm almost certain that, at minimum, this could be printed as .

based on actual () cards in Eventide, the only shred of randomness is noggle ransacker, who uses it to draw cards, a specifically blue mechanic.

What makes you think preventing your opponent's spells from hitting their intended target isn't blue?

I would also like to note that blue gets random effects through Polymorph style spells anyways.

based on actual () cards in Eventide, the only shred of randomness is noggle ransacker, who uses it to draw cards, a specifically blue mechanic.

I meant based on the style of logic behind their decisions, not the actual effects they chose to include in the set.
white has Spirit Cairn as madness
What makes you think preventing your opponent's spells from hitting their intended target isn't blue?

because blue doesn't throw dice, which is why...

I would also like to note that blue gets random effects through Polymorph style spells anyways.

polymorph isn't actually blue. it's just one of those effects that got tossed into blue back when "it's magic-y and weird so it's blue" was the predominant color pie philosophy, and they haven't changed it yet. in reality it's red or green.

blue, philosophically, is the color that most wants to control, so it's the color that, philosophically, is least likely to take a gamble.

Red is the king of control with creature, land and artifact elimination
In this case, blue forces its opponent to throw dice. It's not full-on redirection, but it's still more influence than usual. And all other things being equal, there's no outcome in which it would have been better not to cast the spell in the first place.

Even if you exclude all flavour justification completely.
polymorph isn't actually blue. it's just one of those effects that got tossed into blue back when "it's magic-y and weird so it's blue" was the predominant color pie philosophy, and they haven't changed it yet. in reality it's red or green.

The world would be a slightly less flavourful and more boring place if blue didn't get the occasional spell simply because they were magic-y and weird.

The more you start reclassifying effects like this, the closer you get to building a stereotypical portrait of the cold, manipulative blue mage that leaves no room for psychological exploration. Or fun.
I think the blue content could be argued as much as it being a white red effect, as blue is great at saying 'no' in response to things, while white is boss as forbidding things from being done, which I think this is closer too. The red involvement becomes stronger then as well.
>The more you start reclassifying effects like this, the closer you get to building a stereotypical portrait of the cold, manipulative blue mage that leaves no room for psychological exploration. Or fun.

every set strives to create a new way to do 2 or 3 points of damage in red
My problem is detain. Pacifism effects are by and large whites bread and butter. Arrest has some oddball blue occurances like Ice Cage, but they all have loop-holes. And yet blue gets detain? The arguement that temporary arrest effects are by nature conditional, so they belong. But then temporary random could qualify as well...
Dear lord I'm tired of hearing "Blue's not this! I know flavor!"  Blue has a history of randomness as does Red.

Red = You are random
Blue = Your opponent is random

Planeswalker's Mischief
Merfolk Spy
Apathy

Beyond this Blue loves making the opponent look like a fool.  And what about Detektor's Squid Ink doesn't make an opponent look foolish?
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
blue has a plethora of sort cards to not be random
Dear lord I'm tired of hearing "Blue's not this! I know flavor!"  Blue has a history of randomness as does Red.

Red = You are random
Blue = Your opponent is random

Planeswalker's Mischief
Merfolk Spy
Apathy

Beyond this Blue loves making the opponent look like a fool.  And what about Detektor's Squid Ink doesn't make an opponent look foolish?

Mischief was part of a cycle. Apathy was from Weatherlight. Merfolk Spy used it to accrue knowledge over time. anything else? because three cards over the history of the game does not a precedent make.

Mischief was part of a cycle. Apathy was from Weatherlight. Merfolk Spy used it to accrue knowledge over time. anything else? because three cards over the history of the game does not a precedent make.

So...at worst: You ignored the part about blue making opponents look foolish (which was a weak argument) and at best: you confirmed Detektor's arguments that flavor is based on set design.

So all Detektor has to do is design a set which reinforces blue randomness...or multi-colored randomness.  WIN THIS ARGUMENT Det!  
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
In case anyone's curious, Black also has quite a number of random cards, but almost (although not entirely) exclusively in the form of random discard. Oh, and Green has been picking up some randomness recently in the form of random graveyard recursion, weirdly.

But yeah, white and blue seem to be all about consistency, and even black and green get random mechanics most frequently when they are paired with red.

Gatherer is basically the coolest thing ever and I love it dearly.