[Mana Maze] Proofreading the Rules

55 posts / 0 new
Last post

So, before we get started (and while I grade all of your Audition Submissions), here are the rules of MANA MAZE. And in case it isn't clear, there will be a game board image (complete with a Fog of War) that will be updated each turn. Right now, I need everyone's help - read through the rules and ask questions about anything that isn't clear, so I can get the rules right before the actual game starts. If it makes sense, great! If it doesn't let's fix it.

The Rules
MANA MAZE is a YMtC card design game, where ten players must navigate a deadly labyrinth, while surviving hazards, solving puzzles and defeating other players.

The object of the game is to collect all five colors of mana - the first player who does so, ascends to rank of Archmage and escapes the maze, leaving everyone else to fight a neverending horde of monsters... You collect other colors of mana by defeating players who have that color of mana under their control.

Turns in the Maze
Turns are divided into an Action Phase and a Reaction Phase.

During each Turn's Action Phase, players may move and design any card type. The card must represent that player's actions in the Maze during that Turn. Moving during your Action Phase gives you full movement, you may split your movement in any way you wish.

During each player's Reaction Phase, players may move (at half move and only if they didn't move during their Action Phase - this is to represent going slowly, trying not to trigger traps etc.) and may only design Instant cards or cards with Flash - these cards must again represent the player's Reaction to whatever happens during the Reaction Phase. If nothing happens, the action represented by the card takes effect immediately before the next Turn starts, if applicable. If not, nothing happens. Cards designed during a turn's Reaction Phase can be considered delayed actions that trigger if anything relevant happens...

If a player moves and takes an Action during that turn's Action Phase, that player will be unable to react to anything that might happen during that turn's Reaction Phase. This can be lethal...

Posting first in an Event gives that player the Advantage in that Event. "Advantage" can be a wide variety of positive things, each relative to the Event in question.

Mana
At the beginning of MANA MAZE, each player only has access to his own color mana. As the game progresses, each player can and will gain access to other colors.

Each player can only design cards using the mana that they currently control - and, of course, colorless cards. Like in Commander, if you are white, for instance, there can be no non-white symbols anywhere on your cards. When a player defeats another player, the winning player absorbs the losing player's mana, now controlling more than his own color.

Each turn, each player gets a fixed amount of colorless and colored mana to spend on cards that turn. Mana doesn't carry over from turn to turn, but Events in the maze can give either permanent or temporary boosts to mana (as well as the other traits of each player).

This also means that there is no incentive to betray your ally, since you don't benefit from absorbing that player's mana. Allies can be a powerful aid in MANA MAZE.

The Players
In MANA MAZE, each player has four basic traits, a basic ability and a color-specific creature type (for cards that care about subtypes):

Speed: Each player has a Speed Rating of 4 (The Barbarian has a Speed Rating of 6). This translates into up to four (6) squares of movement each Turn. 

Power: Each player as a Power Rating of 2. This translates into the maximum number of damage that player can deal.

Toughness: Each player has a Toughness Rating of 2. This translates into your life total. Whenever an Event ends, all damage you received during that Event is removed.

Mana Pool: Each player has a Mana Pool Rating of 3. This translates into how much mana you have to spend each Turn.

Each of these traits can and will change over the course of the game; either temporarily (by items in your inventories, temporary boosts etc.) and permanently (for instance by solving puzzles or defeating other players. The five character types are as follows:

The White Knight's ability is Vigilance. This means that the Knight may take act both during the Action and the Reaction Phase each turn, provided he has mana to spend for both.

The Blue Wizard's ability is Flash. This means that the Wizard may design all card types both during the Action and Reaction Phase.

The Black Cleric's ability is Wither. This means that damage dealt by this player is not removed after each Event.

The Red Barbarian's ability is Haste. This means that this player's Move Rating is 6 instead of 4.

The Green Ranger's ability is Hexproof: This means that this player cannot be the target of spell and abilities with a single target opponent's control.

Inventory
In MANA MAZE, the players may design cards that can help them out in their struggles in the maze. Each player has six inventory slots that can be filled by making appropriate card designs. But these "items cards" cannot be designed unless the result of an Event explicitly states so.

The "item cards" designed for these slots will modify your character's traits and abilities based directly on your card designs. I will, however, be the final judge of these cards to ensure that they follow a reasonable power curve and don't break the game.

The inventory slots are as follows:
One Equipment
One non-Equipment Artifact
One Aura
One non-Aura Enchantment
One Creature (representing your familiar)
One Land (representing an arcane connection)

Events and Combat
In MANA MAZE, whatever happens can be characterized as an Event. And Events are basically two diferent types of encounter; Player vs. Player or Player vs. Environment.

Player vs. Player
Whenever a player is immediate adjacent to another player, one or both of them can spend an Action Phase to engage in combat, where the cards designed by each player represent their offensive or defensive action that Turn.

Both cards are pitted and ranked against each other, the better card winning that round of combat. If both players submit defensive cards, no one deals damage and combat ends. If one player submits a defensive card and the other player submits an offensive card, combat continue - if the offensive card ranks higher, that player deals damage to the other player equal to his or her Power Rating, and if the defensive card ranks higher, no damage is dealt and the defensive player has the Advantage if combat continues next turn.

Player vs. Environment
Whenever a player is immediately adjacent to an obstacle or enemy, that player can engage with it; enemies can be attacked or defended against; obstacles can be interacted with and puzzles can be solved. The player engaging with the environment designs a card representing his or her action and then one of three things happens...

... if interacting with an enemy, that enemy will be an actual MtG card and cards must be designed to defeat that creature, just like when combatting players. The enemy will have a difficulty rating and cards submitted to defeat it will be scored on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest score. If the card scores higher than the difficulty rating, you deal damage to that cresture equal to your Power Rating. Then we check to see if the enemy is still alive, and if it is, it deals damage to you equal to its power minus the difference between your card's score and the enemy's difficulty rating. So engaging with enemies can be quite deadly unless you submit good card designs...

... if interacting with an obstacle, you will design a card to represent your action. That card will be scored on a scale from 1 to 10 and the score will determine the outcome of your interaction, depending on the type of obstacle. For instance, if when interacting with a given obstacle, your card scores 3 or less, something bad happens. On a score from 4 to 6 something neutral happens. On a score from 7-9, something good happens and on a score of 10, something excellent happens.

... if interacting with a puzzle, either you solve the puzzle using your own wits and logic (and submit a single card that lives up to the puzzle's vague and cryptic criterion), or you create a series of cards over multiple turns, each scored from 1 to 10 and added together to a growing total. Each puzzle has a difficulty rating and a threshold rating. When the total score of your cards designed to solve the puzzle equals or exceeds the puzzle's difficulty rating, you solve it and gain a reward. But whenever a card is scores lower that the puzzle's threshold rating, your total resets and you must start again or abandon the puzzle.
[/sblock]

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Reserved

So, if my fellow red player and I both deside to skip blindly into Progenitus's Mouth, thus dying, would that prevent any other player from winning the game as they can never get red mana?

Also, it looks like duels as written would immiediately kill players who lose 1 round, is this intended?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
So, if my fellow red player and I both deside to skip blindly into Progenitus's Mouth, thus dying, would that prevent any other player from winning the game as they can never get red mana?

Also, it looks like duels as written would immiediately kill players who lose 1 round, is this intended?

1) No, there are other ways of absorbing, in your case, red mana. But those are extremely secret..

2) Yes. But... players are so far away from each other at the beginning of the game, that when one or more player actually meet, they will have designed inventory items to boost their traits. But theoretically, yes, if a basic Knight and a basic Barbarian fight, and one of them loses, he dies. Combat is supposed to be highly lethal in the Maze. But it is also worth remembering, that cards can be designed to prevent damage to heal damage ... in fact, the cards designed in the Maze will be highly dynamic and interact directly with player and environment.

what's a move ?
what's a move ?

This will be highly obvious when you guys get to see the game board graphics...

Can I make proactive cards that have the same general effect as a reactive card during the action phase? Like Standstill, for example.
Can I represent reactions with abilities like Channel and Bloodrush?

Also, congratulations on the approaching 7k, DrD.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Like I said, ill do whatever I must to make it in, especially murder febb.
Can I make proactive cards that have the same general effect as a reactive card during the action phase? Like Standstill, for example.
Can I represent reactions with abilities like Channel and Bloodrush?

Also, congratulations on the approaching 7k, DrD.

1) If I understand you correctly, then yes. But remember that cards you submit have no effect outside the Turn in which they are made (with the exception of cards you submit for your Inventory Slots).

2) I don't think I understand. If you are asking if you can design cards that can be "played" or activated at any time during your Reaction Phase, but aren't Instants of cards with Flash, then yes.

In what way does the card we designed for the audition round influence our character?
So I may create an enchantment for the action phase that protects me during reaction, but it only lasts that turn correct? And obviously we can't go all godmodding since we have a certain ammount of mana, and if we try and make overpowered cards we will fail the round and die?
So I may create an enchantment for the action phase that protects me during reaction, but it only lasts that turn correct? And obviously we can't go all godmodding since we have a certain ammount of mana, and if we try and make overpowered cards we will fail the round and die?

99 varients of Totem Armor on the cleric, 99 varients of Totem Armor

Path to Exile, take 'em all down, 0 varients of Totem Armor on the cleric. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
In what way does the card we designed for the audition round influence our character?

If you get in, your Audition card determines your role in the Maze. If you submitted a red card, you get to be a Barbarian! Character creation from that point on is up to you.

Not if he has hexproof too :O, or counterspells, etc.

If you get in, your Audition card determines your role in the Maze. If you submitted a red card, you get to be a Barbarian! Character creation from that point on is up to you.

But I want to be a genie, not a wizard.

1) Yes.
2) Well, you don't die right then and there. The great thing about Magic is that whatever you can come up with, someone else has the answer. But no, obviously overpowered cards are frowned upon...

I'm open to suggestions - as long as only your "creature type" changes, I'd have no problem with that.. Your traits and abilities remain the same though.

Looks like you need to undergo some Artificial Evolution.
Ours is a vengeful god.
Imma be a Rocket-Powered Turbo SLug.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
A sky hook to orbit
I'm assuming that if the Green mages decide to make something that adds to their mana pool, that probably wouldn't be an auto-win?  :P
They wouldn't be able to, in the same way that a monogreen EDH deck can't play Channel the Suns.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
1)  If someone moves adjacent to you in their Action phase and "attacks" and you move in your Reaction phase:
   a)  Does the "attack" succeed if I move to a different adjacent space?
   b)  Does the "attack" miss if I move to a non-adjacent space?

Basically, can we save ourselves with movement or only with cards?

2) Do spells with two seperate effects (one damaging your opponent and one healing you) affect the Green Mage?

Basically, if its just you and a Green Mage, do you HAVE to attack yourself as well or wait for an enemy to show up or can you design a card which targets the Green Mage for a negative affect and targets you with a positive effect?
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
They wouldn't be able to, in the same way that a monogreen EDH deck can't play Channel the Suns.

Ah, right right.  No non-Green mana symbols anywhere on the card.

Edit: Except you could say: "Add five mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool."
Like I said, ill do whatever I must to make it in, especially murder febb.

meanie
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
The black ability, wither, sounds a lot weaker than what the other colors get.
The black ability, wither, sounds a lot weaker than what the other colors get.

Really, I was thinking the opposite.
I feel taht black players will have an effect on the long game, EVEN if they don't survive.
As long as I'm interpretting correctly. They deal permanent damage.
So, if someone battles a cleric (and sruvives), their HP is permanently reduced by 2, or whatever.

That said, I do feel that they are relatively balanced:

White - Can act safely in both rounds.
Blue - Can cast any card type in Reaction rounds
Black - Permanent damage
Red - Extra movement
Green - Protection from target player, per round.

Am I interpretting these correctly?
If anything, blue seems the best. They lose absolutely nothing from using only half moves during the reaction stage. Sure, they move half as fast as everyone, but they're almost guaranteed to survive, being able to cast anything...

Also, where's the Rule where I win? I read these frontwards and backwards... and I still haven't seen it.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
So...Green's Hexproof doesn't work if, say, someone makes a card that targets two players, and one of those targets is the Green player? Or both Green players, if they happened to be within the spell range (is there a spell range that isn't the same as physical attacks?).

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

This all seems superbly epic.

Ah, right right.  No non-Green mana symbols anywhere on the card.

Edit: Except you could say: "Add five mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool."

That wouldn't work either, assuming the same EDH-like rules hold. If a monogreen deck tried to add , they'd add instead. Only after you gain other colours you become, for example. a green-white deck that can add , and so on.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.

edit: Updated name.

Highland Progenitus +
Legendary Creature - Hydra Avatar
2 mana of each color must be spent on ~.
Protection from everything.
If Progenitus would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Progenitus and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.
10/10

Progenitus of the Highlands
If Progenitus would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Progenitus and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.
10/10

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

That wouldn't work either, assuming the same EDH-like rules hold.

I guess that's the question, then.

I'm assuming that if the Green mages decide to make something that adds to their mana pool, that probably wouldn't be an auto-win?  :P

As has been said, no can do. As long as you control color(s), only those colors can be in your mana pool or anywhere on your cards...

Otherwise, this would be a pretty rotten game, right?  

1)  If someone moves adjacent to you in their Action phase and "attacks" and you move in your Reaction phase:
   a)  Does the "attack" succeed if I move to a different adjacent space?
   b)  Does the "attack" miss if I move to a non-adjacent space?

Basically, can we save ourselves with movement or only with cards?

2) Do spells with two seperate effects (one damaging your opponent and one healing you) affect the Green Mage?

Basically, if its just you and a Green Mage, do you HAVE to attack yourself as well or wait for an enemy to show up or can you design a card which targets the Green Mage for a negative affect and targets you with a positive effect?

1) Everyone has an Action Phase and a Reaction Phase at the same time. Which means that people move at the same time during the Turn. But for the sake of simplicity, let's say that engaging combat ends your move. No strafing, in other words..

But let's say that you CAN move away after being attacked. You still need to design a card to represent your actions during that combat, but you only do or take half damage.

2) Spells with no targets or with multiple targets can target the Green Ranger. So yes, Pyroclasm would hit him, and so would Common Bond. By the way, your ally is a great asset.

So...Green's Hexproof doesn't work if, say, someone makes a card that targets two players, and one of those targets is the Green player? Or both Green players, if they happened to be within the spell range (is there a spell range that isn't the same as physical attacks?).

See my answer above.

And no, there is no Range in MANA MAZE. There was, but I took it out to simplify things... 

Progenitus of the Highlands
10/10

Utter Annihilation --
Sorcery
Exile all creatures.

See my answer above.

And no, there is no Range in MANA MAZE. There was, but I took it out to simplify things... 

So I can just walk around a bit and go

"You know what, Detektor could use a could lightnin'ing right now" and cast

Singed Whiskers
Sorcery
SInged Whisters deals 2 damage to target player and 1 damage to target creature.
No, this doesn't have a lot of flavor 

From wherever to wherever? Or do I need to actually see him? 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Nope, as the rules already explicitly state, you need to be immediately adjacent to a player to engage in combat with him. And creating cards/casting spells is a part of combat.

Does designing an item count as an action?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Sign In to post comments