Boros Reckoner

79 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wow
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Is this card good?
He's no Tibalt, but you expect a little more for three mana.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
 You're banking on them having a higher curve than you do, because if they don't, you just spent 3 mana on a 3/3 that hurts your tempo more than it hurts them.  Against r/x aggro, that's not a good deal.

That's why it's a bad card. 
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

Boros Reckoner is nuts, probably the best card in Gatecrash, and is so much better than Tibalt ;) Expect to see it a lot next weekend, I know a lot of freinds who are playing it at Montreal.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
did u even read the card?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Boros Reckoner is bad.

BAD ASS.

HAVE YOU SEEN HIM? HE HAS LIGHTNING COMING OUT OF HIS ASS.

LIKE EVERYWHERE. HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THAT SORT OF THING ON A DALY BASIS?

HE CANT EVEN HUG PEOPLE. MUST BE THE WORST LIFE EVER.

AND IM SURE ALL HIS FOOD ENDS UP OVERCOOKED TOO. BECAUSE HE COOKS IT WITH THAT LIGHTNING

(at)MrEnglish22

Boros Reckoner is bad. BAD ASS.

you forgot the c-tags

you forgot the c-tags

I forgot to complete the post too

(at)MrEnglish22

you forgot the c-tags

i reckon that is because ur a blinded by your wool being stapled onto your eyes

you forgot the c-tags

I reckon you haven't played with the card much yet, if you're convinced its bad.

(at)MrEnglish22

you forgot the c-tags

I reckon you haven't played with the card much yet, if you're convinced its bad.

i dont use bad cards, sry to disappoint
He's... Relevant. Really, really relevant. Like, mogg fantastic before damage left the stack relevant, in a set where the good cards were mostly lands.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
He's... Relevant. Really, really relevant. Like, mogg fantastic before damage left the stack relevant, in a set where the good cards were mostly lands.

so now the golden standard for fantastic cards is nessian courser + lightning bolt?
Boros Reckoner is sweet. I would totally play a nessian courser with a lightning bolt attached to it. That sounds like a pretty good card. Reckoner is really awesome in creature heavy metas (aka this one), because it is good against creatures of every size. Smaller creatures shouldn't attack into it and still provide the reckoner player value if they chump block it. Equal sized creatures will just die to the first strike ability. Blocking or attacking a Boros Reckoner with a larger creature is basically asking "How much life do I want to lose this turn?". Reckoner is basically a 3/3 unblockable (except by walls) that is even more ridiculous when on defense. 

I want to play a deck that plays boros reckoner with Volatile Rig and do a bad clint eastwood impression whenever I attack with both.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

For the life of me, I can't see why he's at $15 like Deathrite Shaman.

I believe he's good, certainly one of the best three 3-drops for Boros colours, but I don't see what is the bustedness calling him up so high - its certainly not the infinite combo potential.
For the life of me, I can't see why he's at $15 like Deathrite Shaman. I believe he's good, certainly one of the best three 3-drops for Boros colours, but I don't see what is the bustedness calling him up so high - its certainly not the infinite combo potential.

He's 15 because he's new, and because the only real appeal to open GTC is shocks and him right now. Though drafting the set seems to have depth.

(at)MrEnglish22

Reckoner is very good. Anyone who doesn't see that hasn't played enough aggro.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

so now the golden standard for fantastic cards is nessian courser + lightning bolt?

Yeah?
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
did u even read the card?

Apparently you still haven't read the card. Please stop being a terrible Magic player. 
Well, he's red. I mean, Jackal Pup's big gimmic was being red too

In the rar creatures fight he's go first strike, 2:1s fantastic style or both. Against other stuff he eats thragtusks, etc.

Is it a state of sad state of the meta making him subjectively good? We lack combo, control is dependant on lifegain and WotC is busy composing sonnets to the death of all the 'unfun' things that we love and, in fact, consider to be the root of fun.

And... He'd be decent in other standards too. 3 mana isn't a ton for standard. First strike and 'when stuff hits me' is relevant in standard. Life goes on. It's not like you were hoping to pull non-shocks from your boosters before, were you?
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
The reason people like Boros Reckoner is because Gatecrash is scraping for ANY playables. He's like the 25th best card in a set like Zendikar/Lorwyn for instance. There are literally no "great" cards in Gatecrash besides the shocklands which were pre-slotted. And I thought Return to Ravnica was supposed to be the "power set" after the weak Innistrad Block...
Gatecrash has a ton of playables, however a lot of them are overlooked because it is a fresh set and because a large number of them are at uncommon rarity. 

Blasphemous act loves boros reckoner, just like stuffy doll.
Blasphemous act loves boros reckoner, just like stuffy doll.

Unfortunately, the decks that love boros reckoner don't love wiping their own boards or having to spend a lot of mana.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
I'm not saying it's great, or even viable, but this is my take on that exact idea. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
But those decks do love incremental gains and 3-drops that either eat thragtusks or offset his lifegain.
76783093 wrote:
What other 3 drop red creatures are there?  Yeah, none.  People were running pyreheart wolf because there wasn't anything better.
What other 3 drop red creatures are there?  Yeah, none.  People were running pyreheart wolf because there wasn't anything better.

That, and it makes thragturtling more difficult.
By the time you can get off an Act, your opponent should be within range of dying to a Blasphemed Doll or Reckoner.
By the time you can get off an Act, your opponent should be within range of dying to a Blasphemed Doll or Reckoner.

By the time you play a doll or Act, your opponent should be dead.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Could be, honestly. I only own 2 Reckoner and with him currently at 23-25, I'm not gonna be able to get any more. What's the best removal against him in the format currently?
For the life of me, I can't see why he's at $15 like Deathrite Shaman. I believe he's good, certainly one of the best three 3-drops for Boros colours, but I don't see what is the bustedness calling him up so high - its certainly not the infinite combo potential.

He's not.

He's at like near 30 now.

I have no clue why he's so much. I mean what happened recently to cause him to spike from 8 to 28 dollars in a matter of days?

I wanted one but not at that price.
Could be, honestly. I only own 2 Reckoner and with him currently at 23-25, I'm not gonna be able to get any more. What's the best removal against him in the format currently?

MurderVictim of NightOblivion RingDetention Sphere.  Uh, sac effects like Devour fleshAbrupt decay.  That about does it.  He's fairly removal resistant without a board wipe.

And if you're going to combo with dealing this guy damage to the opponent's head, at least play something decent like Clan Defiance and not Blasphemous Act.  At least it's not a dead card until your opponent has an army or you have 8 mana. 
Sell before the PT. What a hype wagon.
I run both, blasphemous act and clan defiance. Not to mention pit fight. It's all good at my lgs.
30 high, but easily a solid 23. What do I want to trade him for?

And when the pro tour is full of naya or even just boros aggro featuring 3x or 4x Reckoner?
What a hype wagon.

What hype wagon?

They were available for three dollars.

It was anti hype. 
Show

And when the pro tour is full of naya or even just boros aggro featuring 3x or 4x Reckoner?

Unless the Top 8 has more than 20 Reckoners in it, the price will drop - prices at the moment seem to be assuming that it's going to be the only rare that matters for the format, so as soon as just about any other deck pushes it out of single-handed dominance, the price will plummet because the expectation is higher than the reality inevitably will be.

And since Reckoner is not actually that good, I doubt its population will be even that high. It's certainly not good enough to keep up with the hype that's made it the single most expensive card in Gatecrash as of right now.

EDIT: This is the legacy of JTMS. Everyone, Star City especially, is F***ING PETRIFIED of not making optimal money out of the chase rare of the moment so prices spike insanely fast and always bubble over what the intrinsic value of the card is. 
Yeah, if you have any Reckoners, try to trade them for intrinsicly powerful cards that haven't seen play yet.
Stuff like Zenaga, Master Biomancer, Duskmantle Seer, and Fury in that order. Get them for less than current value though, because they only have so much room to grow. Other good specs are Crypt Ghast, Firemane Angel, and  . Crypt Ghast isn't likely to move in price downward much due to casual appeal, and if it sees play in a black deck at the PT (hard to believe it wont) then it could double or more.
Long term spec would be Hellkite Tyrant. Get like 10 of them and hold onto them for a few years, especially foils.
I'd say move on High Priest of Pennance, but 4 dollars is a little awkward. If it sees play in a deck, it probably won't go to more than 6-8, and its more likely to fall.

If you don't want to speculate, then just go for Shocklands. The RTR ones are still pretty low, and Shocks always trade well. That said, if you have GTC shocks you aren't playing, trade them NOW. Especially GR. However, you might want to consider getting Breeding Pool and Watery Grave, as those are the less opened ones from the original sets.
Next safest option is to trade for uncommons at buy prices. This lets you get a ton of good uncommons and then trade them at full trade value. Stuff like Ghor-Clan Rampager, Experiment One, Charms, and other obviously good stuff at a quarter or less.

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments