Invasion block draft!

296 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is Thornscape good? Seems like a heavy commitment early.

Fact or Fiction looks nuts, and Lava looks like OK removal.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Scorching Lava is pretty good removal and is easily splashed for so I would suggest that and leave our options open.

P.s. I have never drafted this set before so please feel free to overrule me! 
Scorching Lava is pretty good removal and is easily splashed for so I would suggest that and leave our options open.

P.s. I have never drafted this set before so please feel free to overrule me! 

Me either. I bought some packs of Invasion and Apocalypse right before I took a hiatus from the game, so this might be semi-familiar but I'll mostly be guessing.

Thornscape Apprentice and Benalish Trapper should be powerful. But I haven't drafted (or played at all) with Invasion block. My choice would be for the Trapper, though. It's a heavily multicolored block, but I don't see a reason to not pick the removal guy whose ability I should be able to consistantly activate.
Really great pack. I would not be able to pass Thornscape Master. But my second choice would be Probe, it was pretty insane.

EDIT: Actually the fact that there's a Thornscape Master AND a Thornscape Apprentice, I think I'll go with Probe, and let the next few drafters fight over G/W/R.
Fact or Fiction or you suck

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

It's thornscape master or fact or fiction. If you guys haven't played with FoF you haven't lived. 
My answer would possibly be different if we were doing triple Invasion, but adding in Apocalypse makes committing to any shard or wedge at this point dangerous.  So, I'll say Fact or Fiction, and see where it goes.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I've drafted this before about 12 times.

Thornscape master can control the entire battlefield. He's nuts in GR and good in GW.

Fact or Fiction is the next best.

Something to keep in mind; the shards are stronger than the wedges. INS supports allies, Planeshift supports allies and shards, Apocalypse supports enemies and, to a lesser extent, Wedges.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I'll listen to EyeHunter's ethos and change my vote to Thornscape Master.

EH, do you normally wind up in 2 or 3 colors at the end of your drafts with this block?  I would have suspected 3 colors (or more), but your comment about the colors Thornscape Master work well in makes me think you manage to wind up only in 2.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Thornscape Master for repeatable removal. I don't like Fact or Fiction this early - I want to know that I have stuff worth getting.

EH, do you normally wind up in 2 or 3 colors at the end of your drafts with this block?  I would have suspected 3 colors (or more), but your comment about the colors Thornscape Master work well in makes me think you manage to wind up only in 2.

Generally three colors, if I recall correctly.  It'd be pretty difficult to go 2 color, though not impossible in the least.  Things get a bit stickier with Planechase for 2 color, and really difficult in Apocalypse.  Still not impossible, but as the set moves on it becomes a bit harder. 

That said, even if we do go 2-color, the Master is still solid with either abililty.  The first is just straight up removal, and the second is great for fizzling removal spells and getting damage through,  or blocking effectively.  I see no reason to pass it at all really over not overly strong removal (That said, it is quite good removal in the format, just not the first-pickable over a legitimate threat type of card).

One thing we absolutely need to keep in mind, however, is that we are passing both Thornscape Apprentice and Scorching Lava, and I don't expect either to wheel.  So even though we are going the GRW card, we shouldn't get to ingrained with it this early. 
Nomadic Elf. Nothing else really catches my eye, and mana fixing should probably be valued rather high. And here it comes attached to a very playable bear.
Nomadic Elf was pretty awesome, and goes nicely with our first pick.
Nomadic was great in this block. Bears were very good here. The fixing is better than it looks becuase of the slowness of the format. Recover is strong, but not stronger than the elf. Aura mution is a great sideboard and fantasitic for EDH. Emmisary can block well and the land destruction is effective in this block.

It would be very hard to go two colors, but not undo-able. If you're in green, there's no reason not to play three. I was more thinking we might find a BRG or UWG bomb. I wanted to be clear that the master was still a bomb in BRG and more than playable in UWG.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Nomad sure.

Yeah, Elf.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Nomadic Elf.
mana-fixer Elf.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
No bombs here, so take the removal, Plaque Spores.
I'm taking the fixing/ramp, Quirion Elves please
Quirion Elves. If we keep picking like this, we can end up in five-color green, which was very strong in this format. Next best is plague spores (the LD is surpisingly relevent). I should mention that a few cards in this pack are better than they look; kavu runner, shoreline raider, and frenzied tilling.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
I think I'll go with Quirion Elves as well.
More Elves
Quirion definitely.

Moar Elves.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Let's quiri on with the fixing plan.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
More Elvish fixing I guess? Quirion Trailblazer.
Kavu Monarch for me.  We are likely to play a lot of red with Master and a Hill Giant with upside is pretty good.

Come on, everyone wants an Elf/Kavu tribal deck surely 
Kavu Monarch for me.  We are likely to play a lot of red with Master and a Hill Giant with upside is pretty good.

Come on, everyone wants an Elf/Kavu tribal deck surely 

I know I do.

Kavu Monarch is better than more fixing here, in my opinion. Gives itself trample, and triggers off opponents' Kavu, which means it's worth playing even if we have no other Kavu(s?).
Kavu monarch is pretty sweet. If we just take strong cards here and there and then draft a whole bunch of fixing this deck should be fine. Although trailblazer is pretty good for setting up cards that are dependent on different types of basic lands in play. 
Kavu Monarch
The King of Kavu for the reasons already stated. In addition, with gating, we might get to replay some kavu... I dream of doing so with a Flametongue Kavu.
Monarch.
Kavu Monarch. I have memories of the trailblazer underperforming.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
More Elvish fixing I guess? Quirion Trailblazer.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open