copy spell

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
my opponent controls

sage of epityr  deathcult rogue and scroll thief

i play street spasm pay its overload cost with 2 red 3 green mana

to create 2 attacks of 1 and 2 dammage

i copy the spell or spells(thats the question) with chandra, the firebrand  s -2 ability .

can 1 target the original spells to 1d sage 2d rogue and target the copies 2+1=3 to thief ? 
my opponent controls

sage of epityr  deathcult rogue and scroll thief

i play street spasm pay its overload cost with 2 red 3 green mana

to create 2 attacks of 1 and 2 dammage

Overloaded Street Spasm doesn't target.  It deals X damage to all nonflying creatures you don't control.

X is a single number.  You must pay it twice (as well as RR).  So the amount of mana you spend on an overloaded Street Spasm must be even.

If you paid a total of 4 mana (including at least 2 red), you would deal 1 damage to each nonflying creature you don't control.
If you paid a total of 6 mana (including at least 2 red), you would deal 2 damage to each nonflying creature you don't control.
There is no way to spend 5 mana on overloaded Street Spasm.
There is no way to target two creatures with one Street Spasm.
There is no way to deal different amounts of damage to different creatures with one overloadede street spasm (short of separate effects to prevent some damage)

i copy the spell or spells(thats the question) with chandra, the firebrand  s -2 ability .

Chandra's ability is one you do in advance of casting a spell, not after it (too late) or in response to it (can't use Planeswalker loyalty abilities on a non-empty stack).

If you had a spell that had multiple targets and you had activated Chandra's -2, you'd be able to choose new targets for the copy, sure.  Says right there on Chandra.  But again, overloaded Street Spasm doesn't target.  And if you only have 5 mana, the bext you can do is either use Chandra, Street Spasm Overloaded for 1, then copy it, dealing 1 damage to all nonflying creatures you don't control twice... or use Chandra's -2, cast Street Spasm non-overloaded for up to 4 targetting a single creature, and the copy of it dealing 4 damage to another single creature.
All instances of X are the same. You choose one value for X and then treat al Xs on the card as that value. Street Spasm (barring interference) will always deal the same amount of damage to all affected creatures. Also, overloading a spell makes it untargeted. And a spell never attacks.

In the case of Street Spasm, if you choose X=1, the overload cost is = . If you choose X=2, the overload cost is = . And so on.

X=1 is not be enough to kill all of your opponent's creatures, even with a copy (2 damage are not enough to kill the Scroll Thief). With X=2, SS will kill the Sage and Deathcult Rogue, with a copy the Thief will also fall, having recieved 4 damage.
i play street spasm pay its overload cost with 2 red 3 green mana to create 2 attacks of 1 and 2 damage

you choose X first, here you could only choose X=1 and pay (leaving floating) and the original and the copy will each deal 1 damage to each creature your opponent's control (2 damage to each in total)

note: there's no attacks here
i copy the spell or spells(thats the question) with chandra, the firebrand  s -2 ability

can 1 target the original spells to 1d sage 2d rogue and target the copies 2+1=3 to thief ? 

no, first off Chandra's ability doesn't target anything, it just copies the next instant/sorcery spell that you cast 

secondly, you can't cast Spasm like that (X is the same value everywhere on the card)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

tnx all Cool